COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 476 through 500 (of 658 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some here scoff when mental health is brought up, but The Athletic discusses the challenges when players may have to decide between their teammates and staying with at-risk family members or pregnant spouses. And what happens if/when someone tests positive.

“What scenario is going to present itself that will present a tremendous amount of guilt and responsibility for getting COVID-19 and giving it to someone else? Those are things that people in mental health are anticipating,” said sports psychologist Vince Lodato, who serves as a consultant for the Tampa Bay Rays.

They also share data on how anxiety and depression are affecting the mental health of all Americans, not just athletes.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Actually no too bad for 748 tests. About .008 positives with more teams to report. These are young virile athletes so the virus should not be too tough on them as long as they stay away from older people or people with autoimmune problems. Needs to be a way to identify those folks.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Actually no too bad for 748 tests. About .008 positives . . . . . stay away from older people or people with autoimmune problems. Needs to be a way to identify those folks.

This quote, plus the mental health issues stated above, are why we need to be looking at every opportunity for more targeted protections. The mass approach is causing huge other problems. It’s not pleasant for most retired and currently working people, but I imagine their stress doesn’t even register compared to families who need the next paycheck to pay for food and rent.

And why the “my one-year old just died” comment in that tweet and article? Way to misrepresent the crux of this issue. A one-year old probably has a better chance of dying countless other ways. They have a great issue to report, but that kind of hyperbolic headlining turns off so many. I guess it also sucks in a lot of others.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is not a simple matter.

The average age of a major leaguer last year was 28; pro athletes are at extremely low-risk for the virus but “are the demographic most likely to be asymptomatic” carriers, said Will Humble, the former health director for the state of Arizona. Nationals ace Max Scherzer, 35, told ESPN he’s most concerned about the vulnerability of coaches and athletic trainers. “They’re constantly working with every single player on the team, and understanding how infectious this disease is, that’s where you worry that you could be putting somebody in harm’s way,” he said.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Studies indicate the virus spreads faster in places where people shout or sing. Also much more likely to spread inside than outside. Many different factors affect the infection rate.

Not a baseball specific article, but interesting to read it keeping baseball in mind… For example, because the focus is about spreading the virus, the age of a subject is not mentioned in the entire article.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/why-do-some-covid-19-patients-infect-many-others-whereas-most-don-t-spread-virus-all#

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another prominent sports figure has the virus…

Participant

Free

Tomorrow is Memorial Day, a day in which all of our departed soldiers are honored. What better way to honor them on TCN with a slightly off-topic performance that is in tribute to the changes made by the virus otherwise we would all be at some ballpark today or tomorrow: Take a gander at this 10 minutes of fun and be sure to look at the last several minutes.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I think we better forget about 2020 and start worrying about whether or not we are going to have baseball in 2021.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Free

What is it with MLB.com that they never seem to cover anything going on concerning the restart of baseball or things being considered. The writers only want to invent topics like, “The Best 5 of ….” “Best Rookie for Each Team” “Top 10 stories of 2019”. We get it. They want to go back in the day but I want to know what is going on now and I rarely see any stories on their website that are informative as to the virus actions or plans to restart the game.

I need to add. The Cards website is the same as the MLB website. No good info.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by AvatarMinuteman3.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When a business runs a site to report on itself, you are going to get what they want you to read. Fortunately, there are many other options out there, at least unless MLB cuts off independent media access as part of the reopening. I am sure if they try it, the BBWAA will fight it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

At least one national writer does not think the 2020 season will be played out.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

While the main debate on money and number of games takes the spotlight, this issue is still lingering and could become a lot more important soon.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

And the hits keep on coming…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And the hits keep on coming…

You’re not kidding. I feel like we are back where we were in April…with a very minute chance that any baseball is played this year.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is interesting timing for the leak… I mean of the letter being “obtained” by the AP.

It feels like MLB is giving the season a final shove over the cliff.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

And people thought money was the hard part, huh? The late March agreement had conditions for starting the season. Two are proving to be too much to overcome (no limits on fan attendance and no health risks).

I don’t blame the players if they don’t want to take the risk, but I also don’t blame the owners for wanting a waiver from liability. It’s a pandemic. There’s no way they can guarantee anybody’s safety from the virus.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t blame the players if they don’t want to take the risk, but I also don’t blame the owners for wanting a waiver from liability. It’s a pandemic. There’s no way they can guarantee anybody’s safety from the virus.

While I don’t necessarily blame them, we are talking about young men in the prime of their lives who will have access to testing and treatment. They play outside, for the most part, where the risk is known to be far lower of spreading anyway. And for the owners, it’s flat out about the money. They stand to lose less with no season than by playing.

As far as I’m concerned, there’s plenty of blame to go around. This is a second rate hack job of something that could have been an act of good will at a time when the country could use it. Remember baseball leading the nation back to normalcy after 9/11? I still get a lump in my throat thinking about watching Jack Buck read his poem before the Cards’ first game back. This time around, baseball will be forgotten and probably on its way to a second rate status in the sporting world before long.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Tennis has an additional complexity of international travel. A large majority of the players are foreigners. Several of the top players are not committing to playing the US Open because of the various restrictions. It could very well be a grand slam event with an asterisk this year.

Viewing 25 posts - 476 through 500 (of 658 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years