Conservatism

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Conservatism

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 352 total)
  • Author
    1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Well bccran, I’ll reinforce your point by disclosing the fact that I’ve often proclaimed to anyone who would listen that I genuinely believe that for the past ten years or so, the Cardinals may well be the solitary remaining asset of a once nice and entirely safe downtown StL. area. And as I mentioned, I’m not sure they’ll be too enthusiastic about hanging around once the current venue is deemed worse for wear unless some tangible and effective actions are put into place to restore the overall atmosphere of the city.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

That’s great bccran. But that’s a big statement without knowing what other organizations have done for their cities. “than almost any other organization” how do know you this?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’d have to guess that the Cardinals are right up there at the top insofar as a a city receiving added recognition and even a portion of it’s identity from a major sports franchise, Oliver, but you make a very valid point as there are certainly others. No one can argue that the Yankees are certainly a portion of the city of NY’s identity and there are certainly others. The Dodgers and Cubbies come to mind as well as the Cowboys and Packers in that other major sport that I no longer follow. And everyone knows what city the Red Sox and Celtics represent. Obviously there are others and I’m reasonably sure the same concept applies all over the world with various franchises in other countries. What may make the Cardinals unique is that the team may be the last remaining asset that the city of StL. has to draw on.

bccran
    Participant

Oliver – talking about other organizations in St. Louis.

bccran
    Participant

I’m still awaiting Brian’s answer. Brian works night and day to be one of the true experts on the Cardinals minor leaguers.
    Maybe THE expert. Then thinks it’s okay for Cohen to stockpile every expensive free agent in sight. Free enterprise. Spend to the gills. No salary cap needed (realistic or not). So the Cardinals minor leaguers finally make it to the big show and get their teeth kicked in by Cohen’s monster team. They don’t have a chance, just like the majority of other teams in MLB. Something just doesn’t feel right about that.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

It’s still to be determined whether or not Cohen’s spending will pay off or not. Also, it’s still to be determined whether his spending will hurt the team in the long run or not.

I will say that Cohen has changed the rules for baseball owners with his actions. Either the others spend more or they wait for the Mets to hurt, financially.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I don’t at all like the fact that fans of quite a few Big League teams feel as though they don’t have a sliver of a chance on opening day, but I’m not sure I’m ready to concede that teams like the Mets, SD or the Yankees are going to run rough shod over the rest of the competition simply because they throw a lot of paper around the field. But yeah, I like nothing more than seeing teams that reside in cities like KC, Baltimore, Pittsburgh or Cincinnati return to winning form and it’s a shame it seems like it’s becoming more and more difficult for these sorts of organizations to compete. However, if you look closely at the history of the Big Leagues, that has always been somewhat the case. There’s almost always been teams that are elite and teams that were termed second division. In any case, I’m selfishly grateful that my favorite team is placed in the former category…Haha!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Haha! You beat me to it, Forsch…

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“They don’t have a chance…”

There is a price to be paid for conservatism.

bccran
    Participant

Some have suggested that the Cardinals kick payroll up to around $200 million. What would that do, really? Add a player or two? Big deal.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

If adding an ace and a #2, I think running the payroll up to $200 million would do a lot. Considering they could shrink payroll next year, if need be, it wouldn’t hurt the team.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“…people in the city of KC and its surrounding rural areas couldn’t care less about the latest fashionable trends or ideas.”

That’s not what I heard! Check it out:

bccran
    Participant

So an ace and a #2 in the open market? With length of contact 7 years or so? Not knowing how they’re going to fit into the team culture?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

bc, how many free agent pitchers received a contract of more than 5 years this offseason?

bccran
    Participant

Was thinking about Rondon, Forsch. Sorry, I was a year off.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Rodon was the only free agent pitcher this offseason and there were none last offseason. As a matter of fact, there have only been 3 free agent pitchers in the last 4 years to receive a contract of more than 5 years.

If the Cardinals would have signed DeGrom and made a trade for another quality SP, they could have traded a little salary while receiving a rotation upgrade without sacrificing too much, in all likelihood. Overall, the team salary would have went up.

bccran
    Participant

You’re the man, Forsch. You should be a GM or POBO. You’re a lot better than these amateurs in the FO.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Rob Reed…Haha! It’s still somewhat the same out there in good ol’ KC…Mrs. 1TD and myself have friends that live about 40 miles East of there. We both love KC and the surrounding area and agree that it’s eclipsed St. Louis in numerous aspects relating to an urban area. It’s a nice city.

bccran
    Participant

Joe Torre just said a mouthful on MLB network. He said you can study all the analytics and metrics you want, but the game is still all about people. It’s getting the whole team pulling together to achieve a goal.
    Taking care of each other. That’s why culture is so important. And why certain free agents just don’t fit.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

bccran…I don’t have anywhere near the qualifications nor do I have any desire to be the Redbird POBO however, not only would I be really good at it, but I’d also absolutely love to be the Cardinal GM…That has to, almost without question, be the easiest job in world. I’d get paid handsomely for doing absolutely nothing and that’s my longsuit…No one would even know I really indeed existed, which is great for not only me, but the rest of world as well!…Haha!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

No question that a winning ballclub requires the various components to blend and mesh smoothly, and that doesn’t neccessarily take place with an abundance of talent. You can spend money on fancy, high peformance parts ’til the cows come home, but if they’re not finely placed and tuned you ain’t gonna win many races.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Nah, bc, I’ll leave that to you. You seem to know enough people associated with MLB teams, I think you could make it happen for yourself. You like the way the owners make money and that is the main thing they want from their employees.

bccran
    Participant

Sorry, Forsch. I’m totally unqualified. But I do refrain from suggesting moves the Cardinals should have made when I don’t have all the facts. Maybe a certain free agent doesn’t fit the culture. Maybe he doesn’t want to play in this particular city. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I do know, however, that I would see what I have for the first few months of the season, keep some dry powder, and make a move if it was obvious a move needed to be made.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

bc, I have seen you suggest moves you would like to see the Cardinals make, many times. I am sure you didn’t have all the facts in those cases either.

Whether I use a particular name or not, the concept is still the same: I believe the Cardinals should have made a move this offseason to solidify the rotation. There were opportunities available that they chose to pass on for whatever reason.

And if we all avoid suggesting moves, this place will be pretty dull. It would become the Cardinals’ spirit squad. Never question and support every move. Boring.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So an ace and a #2 in the open market? With length of contact 7 years or so? Not knowing how they’re going to fit into the team culture?

I think it is still legal to do trades. Free agency isn’t the only way to acquire top of the rotation pitching.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 352 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.