Carlos Martinez shoulder injury

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Carlos Martinez shoulder injury

This topic contains 100 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Mrperkins
    Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

I’m quite fine with that scenario, Nigel. I’d love to see Gant draw more of a market with another consistent start to season than lose him for next to nothing due to him lacking an option. He was pretty much great last year for what we asked of him.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

How can a guy not work out in the off season to strengthen his arm and come into ST with the same problem he had at the end of last season? Mystifying.

Because he’s an immature and stubborn jerk that’s why! Dude already has his money so he can go out and have fun and not care about anything. Even the arm he lives by.

I mean how much more do we need to see. They want him out in the bullpen because they want him and is behavior away from others. They know he’s talented but he’s got a 10 cent head. Getting real sick of defending this head case!

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Doesn’t sound to me that you are defending him at all.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If CMart winds up being our closer and racks up 40-50 saves, all will be forgiven. He has the potential to do that until proven otherwise.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CMart ending up with 40-50 saves?I wonder if he will even pitch 40-50 innings.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Am I the only one concerned about all of his walks? About the fact that after six seasons in the big leagues he still walks a lot of batters?

AND PEOPLE WANT HIM IN THE GAME IN THE LATE INNINGS WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE?????

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

He had the entire off season to strengthen his arm through excercizes. Why didn’t he do it?

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I find it disturbing that so many people over simplify the idea of strengthening an inflamed shoulder period. Then you bring in the context of differentiating between types of pain.
    Look at his time and money contributions to multiple communities and compare them to your own before using adjectives with visceral.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Ratsbuddy,
    If we’re to be overly concerned about Carlos walks, what about Hicks? Should neither pitch late innings with the game on the line?

Miller had a higher WHIP last season than Carlos. Should we ban all three from save situations?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

jj-cf-stl,

I agree. I am scared sh~tless about having BOTH Hicks and Martinez in the bullpen for late inning situations. They walk too many batters. Its my understanding Miller was injured slightly so I hope that attributes to his issue.

Geez, this could be Rosenthal all over again…….

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

How much time did Hicks have at AA and AAA?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Relievers walk more guys, K more guys and give up fewer hits and runs. It goes with the turf. I’m ok so long as he stays around the low 3s in BB/9 where he was most of his career rather than the big spike last year, which was probably injury-related.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nigel T

I find it disturbing that so many people over simplify the idea of strengthening an inflamed shoulder period. Then you bring in the context of differentiating between types of pain.

It’s kind of mind-blowing how clueless everyone acts each time someone pops up with an injury as if there was a clear and obvious path to avoiding said injury and the players, whether it be Wainwright, Martinez, Reyes, or Ozuna, always chose to wrong path.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another thing that is mind blowing is when the team gives the players specific instructions on how to conduct the offseason but the player basically gives the team the middle finger and says “no thanks I will do it my way.”

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not much news on Carlos’ rehab, and future role. The longer he stays out it seems the more likely he’ll be in the bullpen. Since he hasn’t even rehabbed yet I assume he could be put on the 60 day IL until he comes back. I also am not sure what they will do when they activate Gregerson, which probably will be soon.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In our Weekly Notebook posted this AM, crdswmn noted that Martinez threw a 20-pitch pen session three days ago. So there is clear progress. Unless there is a setback (and they need his roster spot for someone else), I highly doubt he will go on the 60-day DL.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Then Carlos’ next step is a rehab assignment.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Unless they intend on ramping him up, it seems like he’s headed for the bullpen?

It should be interesting to see how they manage the pen, as guys like Leone and Brebbia who have options and are pitching well might get sent down for players like Gregerson and Cecil, when healthy, who are most likely inferior pitchers. Or perhaps like most years, the injury bug will sort it out.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I noted on another thread, likely Gallegos will go for Gregerson. Cecil is not coming back for a long time. Martinez is far enough away still that as you note, someone else will probably be injured, making this quite possibly a non-issue.

But even if a good reliever like Brebbia has to go down for Martinez, it probably would not last long. And one could make a strong argument that in this case, the better pitcher of the two would not be the one sent down.

Still, if that happens, a vocal minority will cry to release Gregerson instead, no matter how he has pitched and with no foresight about the needed depth to get through a full season. Optimizing a roster if done right is not done on an each day basis. Sometimes you give a little today to be better prepared for tomorrow and beyond.

P.S. I forgot about Webb as another candidate to send down.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the best uses for Gregerson would be in low leverage, clean inning situations. Perhaps ideally, as a ROOGY.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

That tells me that he’s broken. I realize they are trying to keep him out there, but at some point wouldn’t you have to think about a surgery to get him back to 100% eventually?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Or if the problem is chronic, this could be a career-altering situation. I’d like to understand more about the medical diagnosis, but we are told what they want us to know.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unless there is a setback, it appears that Carlos would be returning soon. Who gets demoted? Gallegos possibly, although he has pitched well enough to stay. Leone could also be sent down.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years