Carlos Martinez shoulder injury

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Carlos Martinez shoulder injury

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PadsFS
    Participant

Yeah the most relevant part of this story:

Brenden Schaeffer
    ‏@bschaeffer12

Shildt says Cardinals are shifting Carlos Martinez to a no throw program for the next two weeks. His strength in the shoulder is not quite there yet, so they’re backing off him a bit. Shildt describes it as precautionary, says an MRI Mon. showed no structural difference from 2016

Is that his shoulder seems fine. It looks like Poncedeleon, Gomber, and Reyes will have a spot to fight over after all, at least to start the year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does this make it more or less likely he goes to the pen or no difference?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gah. Is there something to the Cards’ strength and conditioning program that sets them up to fail this way? Between obliques and lats, it seems like they’ve had an excess share of them the last couple years.

NJ315
    Participant

I thought he would be better in the pen. I think this will make it more likely he will be in the pen. Not sure what the long-term implications for his career may be.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Woops, wrote in the wrong thread. I can’t imagine they would leave Cmart in the bullpen for good. He’s got too much ability as a starter. But if they do stick him in the bullpen they will certainly lose out on that big contract they gave him.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Open question. In what role will his shoulder better bounce back if the problem is a chronic one?

PadsFS
    Participant

ONe thing this does is clear the logjam that we had on the 25-man roster. With C-Mart and Gregerson most likely on the DL to start the year and the team going with 5 position players, we won’t have to release anyone now.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Surprised Martinez still needs to use a translator

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

He does not need to. His English is fine. But they offer the crutch so he uses it.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn`t plan on him being a factor early this season…maybe not at all.Plan like he is not going to be available….Be prepared.Its like the people who think Alex Reyes will jump in a pitch like he did before all his injury woes.With Wacha and his injury issues the Cards could possibly be down 3 SPs .Good thing the young arms are mostly still here.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The injury histories of CMart, Waino, Wacha, and Reyes the Cards are counting on a lot of unproven guys to get massive amounts of innings this season.

dac8b9
    Participant

The injury histories of CMart, Waino, Wacha, and Reyes the Cards are counting on a lot of unproven guys to get massive amounts of innings this season.

I don’t know if that is necessarily true, though. I bet if you gave Mozeliak truth serum, he would say the only one of those four he is expecting to be a major part of the team’s success this year is Martinez. Waino was given an incentive based contract, Wacha never seems to get through a year healthy, and Reyes’ season will be more about preparing him to be a key member of the rotation in 2020. I think Mozeliak is probably pretty comfortable he has the depth to weather most storms injury wise.

1982 willie
    Participant

well as usual, here we are in spring, some cardinal pitcher is having some injury problem. I definitely could see him being put in the bullpen because of it. doesn’t mean he will stay there but I see for the start of the season. I personally think the cards are over estimating their pitching strength. like with weaver last season, there no guarantee some of these young guys will be the same this season as they were last year. there are pitching aces out there, cardinals should take the dive since they obviously aren’t going for harper. they could then put wainwright in the pen where I think he could do really well.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Its about time he lived up to expectations. Or at least got close to those expectations. If he doesn’t, with all of his goofy antics, I’d like to see him moved in July. Unless he has finally wised up and finally realizes Cardinal baseball is about serious, hard nosed, tough players and not goofs like the Martinez boys have been.

r/Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Would you trade Carlos straight up for Kyle Hendricks, Rat?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Wasn’t Martinez one of the starters without injury concerns? With the history of not getting accurate information from the organization on injuries, some fans will hear two weeks and think two months +. If the front office gets skittish and lands a starter from down on the list of those still available get ready for a long wait for Carlos to find his way back to the mound.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, were not you aware that Martinez’ shoulder problems kept him from starting for the entire second half of 2018? It seems pretty clear that he did he own thing rehabbing this winter and the Cards are questioning where he put his focus. Ultimately, players are responsible for their own bodies.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

I guess I should have clarified. Going into this season, Martinez is coming off his basically successful bullpen work in late 2018. My impression was that he is ready to go into 2018, healthy. Wacha, on the other hand has several seasons of injuries eating into his IPs. Wainwright is a larger question mark based on his age which is a major factor for that concern.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kind of a shame that Mo has to keep having these public conversations about training programs for guys like Martinez and Ozuna. I get that they have their own trainers but is there any contact with the team trainers at all during the offseason?? You’d think they would be relatively on the same page.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Exactly. It speaks more of his missing executive skills than it does of Martinez’ efforts.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Plausible explanation for using an interpreter. Fear.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.