Carlos Martinez shoulder injury

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Carlos Martinez shoulder injury

This topic contains 100 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

More info on who did what or who did not.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Martinez. Interpreter. Fear. Sounds like a little kid that knows he has done something wrong.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think the team needs to take a serious look at Clay Buchholz. My guess is at this point he can be had on a one year deal at way south of $5 million. I also think he would be solid out of the bullpen if he is not among the top 5 starters.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This CMart issue is starting to sound like Ozuna Part II. I thought the Cardinals gave each player a detailed description of expectations for the winter and was going to have close follow ups???? Didn’t I read that back in November?

I know the team can’t literally force players to do everything they are supposed to do but there should be consequences for those who don’t. I don’t blame Mo for being irritated.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is there any way to make a player workout/train within the organization’s scrutiny by including it in a player’s contract?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I know the whole story probably isn’t know here.

However, and I’ve said this many times before, I am growing weary of Carlos Martinez. And his goofy antics. Its time to fish or cut bait with him. The next time he puts on a Cardinal uniform if he doesn’t live up to expectations I’d see what I could get for him. Maybe a sack of potatoes if we are lucky.

r/Rat

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

A Mikolas extension would make entertaining a trade of Carlos less concerning.

2020’s rotation would have a base of Mikolas, Flaherty, Gant, Hudson, Gomber and Ponce. A successful 2019 from Reyes with Cabrera and Helsey as depth coming really doesn’t feel like an alarming turnover.

So yes, when a sell high opportunity presents itself it wouldn’t surprise me if the FO moved him.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So yes, when a sell high opportunity presents itself it wouldn’t surprise me if the FO moved him.

Except Rats isn’t suggesting to sell high, at least by how I read it. If they can get a Sale-Quintana haul for him, I’d be ok with it, I guess. Injured Carlos or ineffective Carlos won’t bring anything like that.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Yes, he went with “it’s time”, and i added a down the road sell high approach.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s fair, and to be clear, I wasn’t taking exception to your take. As is probably apparent by now, I get bothered by the people who want to trade Carlos because of “antics” such as the hair colors, cup stacking, or whatnot. If the main issue is performance related, I could get it, but it often seems there are far more spurious motives at work.

That said, even if he never becomes an “ace,” a #2/3 starter at his contract is a steal so if the team trades him, it would be a sign to me that it’s a personal issue a la Tommy Pham.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The “sell high” concept rarely makes sense to me but it sure doesn’t make sense with a guy like CMart or for a team like the Cardinals. “Sell high” means you trade someone who you feel is overperforming and will eventually regress back to the norm and for teams who are looking to cash in on a big name player in exchange for prospects.

If CMart started putting up ace like numbers most of us would feel like he is performing as we expect and for sure wouldn’t want to trade him, therefore, he will most likely always be a “sell low” candidate.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I dunno, gscottar. It isn’t all about the results or Pham wouldn’t be in Tampa, I imagine. I do agree with those who would prefer to see an uptick in performance before they would even consider trading Martinez. His reputation as being a player not always fully committed was already out there and hurts his value either way.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There were a lot of good reasons to trade Pham: mediocre 2018, combustible personality, and a younger, cheaper player behind him who could be just as good. I’m not sure the Cardinals sold high on him.

CMart has some baggage of his own for sure and it wouldn’t bother me if they shipped him out. I’m just saying I don’t see the team selling high on him because if his performance reaches that point they would rather keep him. I guess it depends on what level of an uptick we are talking about.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, how much of an uptick and for how long. Another factor is how well other potential top of the rotation replacements develop. As in the case of Pham, the emergence of a decent replacement in Bader made the trade easier to swallow.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

We’re on the same page here. I had the Tommy Pham thought also, because we have seen the FO sour on a player.

Carlos’ affordable contract and a show of good health this season would bring a quality return, and give us all time to see how our depth develops this season.

There will always be a Gio type innings eater if innings become a concern. But, a Mikolas extension, knowing you’ve locked down your top of the rotation guy, would need done first imo. Or acquire a TOR guy first.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We still don’t have a lock down closer, and we’re not getting Craig Kimbrel. CMart was a lock down closer for awhile last season, and he could be that again this year. He is right in the prime of his career, and compared to other pitchers, his salary is not too high. (Compared to the real world, his salary is astronomically high.) Also, it’s possible that being in the closer role, and him knowing that everybody is depending on him to get that last out, might motivate him to screw his head on a little tighter. This ‘setback’ could be a blessing in disguise.

NJ315
    Participant

I agree. I have advocated for Martinez for closer for a while now.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What is more valuable to the Cardinals – 200 innings of 2017 Martinez or 40 saves?

And this assumes relief is no worse on his shoulder than starting every fifth day, which we don’t know yet.

I get the focus point, but to me, if he can do either role, moving him to relief is admitting defeat that he can’t realize his full potential.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If he could give us a quality 200 innings then yes he should be a starter but the knock on him is his lack of focus. He seems to do better when he only has to focus hard for one inning, which is perfect for the closer role. His salary would be not be out of line at all compared to other high end relievers. Much cheaper than Chapman, Davis, Melancon, and eventually Kimbrel.

I think CMart, Hicks, and Miller would be a dynamite way to close out games.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In 2017, Martinez threw 205 innings, including two complete game shutouts and was an NL All-Star. So he can do it. Like I said, if they back him off from starting (unless driven by health reasons), I would consider it a defeat.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

On this particular roster I’ll take the 40 saves.
    Normally I’d go for the 200 IP, especially for trade value, but I like our SP depth more than our holds and saves relievers.

NJ315
    Participant

I agree a 100% gscottar

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I think CMart, Hicks, and Miller would be a dynamite way to close out games.

gscottar,
    Yes and No. Cmart, after six seasons in the big leagues, still hasn’t shown the ability to throw strikes. And Hicks is almost Ankiel-like at times. They might walk us into 4th place.

r/Rat

Edit: I just checked. Martinez and Hicks pitched a combined 197 innings last year and walked a combined 105 batters. No way do I trust either of these guys in the late innings to protect a slim lead.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Ratsbuddy Ratsbuddy.
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree, jj. With this roster, CMart with 40 saves would be fantastic. Those last three outs can be devastating or they can be exhilarating.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years