Carlos Martinez in trouble again

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Carlos Martinez in trouble again

Viewing 23 posts - 76 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Thank you for your kind words too, so cal cards fan.
    And best wishes to you and yours for a beautiful and joyous Holiday Season.

14NyquisT
    Participant

There are four players the Cards should be over and out on. (Wainwright not one of them). But that’s not going to happen so its futile to complain. Anyway… if Mozeliak wanted to trade them he couldn’t get a glass of stiff egg nog for the whole bunch of them.

In following up on bcc’s wishes… I also wish everyone here to have a wonderful Holiday season which has already started and will continue into 2021. There are very few things I’d rather read than the posts, comments and ideas expressed here. Thanks to all and have a very safe Yuletide. 14Ny.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He looks like he has put on some weight.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

He allowed 7 hits over 3.1 innings???

bccran
    Participant

Unreliable as a starter and the bull pen is full. Where do you see a role for him?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He’ll be in the starting rotation, most likely. Not sure what makes him unreliable as a starter unless you count a case of a deadly virus that hospitalized him against him.

bccran
    Participant

Hasn’t started effectively since 2018. Season

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I get all the emotion surrounding Martinez. It is not unlike that which has swirled around Fowler and Carpenter. The result will be the same for all three heading into camp. Martinez will start until he either shows he shouldn’t or elevates his value such that his contract becomes tradeable (mid-season). All the rest is noise, IMO.

bccran
    Participant

Are Carp and Fowler goof cases?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is about trying to maximize the return from your committed assets.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I hear that Brian. The crux of the matter is that this maximization has lead to negative results.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

All I am saying is that I believe that Martinez will start until he proves he shouldn’t. If that happens in camp, then he goes to the pen to start the year. If not, then he pitches in the rotation, again until he proves he shouldn’t or is traded. I believe that is the most realistic scenario to open 2021. What happens by mid-season or the end of the season is anyone’s guess.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hear that Brian. The crux of the matter is that this maximization has lead to negative results.

Lol, what negative results? I suppose you mean 2020 when Carlos spent time in the hospital thanks to COVID?

Apart from that, here’s the last 5 years of Carlos:

2019: 4-2, 3.17 ERA, 24 saves
    2018: 8-6, 3.11 ERA, 5 saves
    2017: 12-11, 3.64 ERA, 205 IP
    2016: 16-9, 3.04 ERA, 195.1 IP
    2015: 14-7, 3.01 ERA, 179.2 IP

I cannot fathom any argument that claims that those are negative results.

bccran
    Participant

If there was a private message function on here, 25, you’d understand where I’m coming from.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bc, I think it’s plain for everyone to see that Carlos isn’t the most mature person in the world (being an orphan will do that to you). I’ll say it also wouldn’t surprise me if Carlos isn’t that great a guy. But it’s very difficult to make a case that his on field results haven’t been very good, with the exception of his COVID-impacted 2020.

bccran
    Participant

25 – In your opinion, did the virus affect Martinez more than all the other Cardinal players who contracted it?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25 – In your opinion, did the virus affect Martinez more than all the other Cardinal players who contracted it?

Yes, unless I missed a story about other players ending up in the hospital with it.

Most of the other players who got it cratered as well, fwiw.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Carlos has had a history of respiratory issues. It stands to reason he was hit harder.
    Carlos has a history of idiocy, too, but we shouldn’t discount his hard work and philanthropic endevres.
    Carlos is complex.

bccran
    Participant

Did Molina crater?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rather than go through every specific point, please read this article, bc. It was nearly universal that players who had COVID performed far worse than otherwise expected.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2020/10/29/21537103/covid-19-impact-quantifying-2020-cardinals

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Martinez is having a good winter session. In fact, I hope Ortega and Martinez can continue their success into the regular season. I would hold onto Martinez until we see what health our starters have breaking camp in Spring Training. The better CMart pitches in the spring, the better his trade value would be.

Viewing 23 posts - 76 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years