Carlos Martinez in trouble again

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Carlos Martinez in trouble again

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is a video of Carlos and his friends.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Can’t make this stuff up!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Carlos already had COVID, theoretically he would have some immunity for a period of time, I’d assume? Which could preclude transmission.

Of course, knowing how bad he had COVID, it seems silly to not take precautions to avoid it again, not to mention that he broke the local, possibly national rules on gatherings. Maturity nas never been Carlos’ strong point.

bccran
    Participant

We need to get rid of him.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Get rid of him. But don’t rush it. He was our top pitcher for awhile. First see if the organization and Martinez, himself, can get his trade value back up to where it once. The Twins, for one, need a pitcher like the CMart of old.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

He makes it so freaking difficult to defend him.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

He makes it so freaking difficult to defend him.

Which is why I don’t understand why so many have tried to defend him over the years. I guess his supporters are dwindling.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I never like deals that are made on non-field-production grounds. Emotions are the antithesis of good baseball operations.

His stock is low right now, so we should see what he can do to help in ‘21 and then see where things stand. That’s not to say you absolutely do not include him in a deal, just be careful and do not trade him for a bag of baseballs and a low-level prospect to be named later just because he is immature.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Odds his agent wrote this apology? I’d peg it at about 95%.

https://twitter.com/Tsunamy27/status/1331043144981307392

bccran
    Participant

Brain, you know why we should seriously find another home for him. This is too much.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As they say, “Buy high and sell low…”

How much of his salary are you willing to eat to be rid of him? Much more importantly, how much would BDW be willing to eat?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That “termination of a contract” above caught my eye. Probably too good to be true.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Can you say, “Union grievance?” Stepping back, how would MLB allow voiding CMart’s contract for not wearing a mask when Justin Turner wasn’t even fined for doing it on the field while having COVID? Let’s get real here.

bccran
    Participant

There are other issues that weigh on the subject. Unfortunately, because of an accumulation of those issues most teams won’t want to touch him. But with the great depth in the system and the fact that he hasn’t been effective as a starter, I’d eat most of his salary just to get him away from the Cardinals.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To be specific, to trade him, cover his 2021 salary and buy out his two options, it would cost $13.5 million. That is a pretty stiff self-penalty for him not wearing a mask!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carlos delivers his explanation/apology.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Odds his agent wrote this apology? I’d peg it at about 95%.

The colon and two semi-colons eliminate any doubt.

bccran
    Participant

Brian – you know it’s a lot more than that. Let’s leave it there.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If this were any other player but CMart, it would not be much of an issue. After all, nobody else at CMart’s parade was wearing a mask, either. I wear a mask when out and about, so does my wife. Clearly, the Dominicans don’t see wearing a mask as important as US citizens do. Let’s get something good for CMart when we trade him.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That “termination of a contract” above caught my eye. Probably too good to be true.

I thought the same. At first I thought maybe the Cards had caught a break like the Mets did with Cano and this might be an avenue to get out of his contract but as Brian pointed out, there would be a perception of hypocrisy since Turner wasn’t punished, although an argument could be made that there is a difference between celebrating 15 minutes after winning a world series and riding a scooter down a crowded street but alas.

Carlos is complicated. He has no trade value right now because both his on the field and off the field performances have been sub standard recently. I don’t know who would take him. The team most desperate for pitching (Angels) probably wouldn’t even do it unless we ate a good chunk of his remaining salary.

As for “buy low sell high” I have always maintained that it doesn’t really apply to a team like the Cardinals, who are supposed to be in the business of annual contention. Let’s say that on June 15, 2021 Carlos is sitting with a record of 6-1, 2.75 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, and a .195 avg. against, his value would be pretty high wouldn’t it? But how many of our fans would be in favor of trading him then? I would say very few. It wouldn’t make sense if were trying to win the division.

Realistically the best option for the Cardinals is that Carlos stays out of trouble the rest of winter, has a good spring training, then is inserted as the number 4 or 5 starter and has a good year. They can then most likely decline his option for 2022 and move on.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years