Cardinals – Rays Trade

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals – Rays Trade

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Well done Mo!

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Like the trade.Thins the OF surplus by letting JMart go to AL and DH and RA gets to play backup OF in TB or Durham.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Officially official

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really liked Arozarena and think he will do well in Tampa, but Jmart basically had to go. Overall I think the chances of getting a star from O’Neill and Thomas are higher so I’m ok with keeping those two. Liberatore is an excellent prospect. As a bonus, aren’t he and Nolan Gorman really good friends?? (Edit-I see Brian mentioned that in his article).

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

‘Possibly trade Fowler?’ Sometimes hints like this turn out to have substance. As improbable as it might seem, supposing they were able to find a trade partner for Fowler (Angels?), and that Fowler liked the idea of moving on to another team? That would free up $18M of payroll. Then, Carpenter (another $18M) could be included with Liberatore and Gorman in a package for Arenado, and altogether the trades would be more or less payroll neutral. Then, the question becomes, ‘Could the FO squeeze some more ‘payroll space’ out of WDW so they could sign Ozuna?’

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I like this deal, although it will take years to know the final grade with the youngsters involved and the swap of comp picks.

Glad O’Nwill is still a Cardinal. Arozarena will get a shot to play more, and Tampa gets a solid DH in JMart. Cards get big time potential in Liberatore, and clear some the outfield logjam.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25, there is a link to a detailed hometown story on Gorman’s and Liberatore’s friendship in my article.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lots to unpack here:

1. Liberatore is a very exciting prospect. He is the kind of prospect the Cardinals rarely can draft.

2. It looks like the Cards needed to thin the OF logjam after all. Mission accomplished.

3. Glad to see JMart finally traded to the AL where he belongs. Could be good news for Ravelo.

4. Sorry to lose Randy but keeping Lane Thomas is the right call.

5. So far I am liking this trade but I keep thinking about that old axciom: “When you trade with the Rays you usually lose.” Hopefully not this time.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It would appear that Mo’s patience has paid off. This trade addresses a number of issues as pointed out by others in earlier posts. Wondering if this is move was made to set up an additional move or two.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

its a nice trade but doesn’t do anything in the here and now. I liked arozarena, would rather we let oneil go unless we are using him to get something better. but a good young left handed pitcher is always good to have.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Wondering if this is move was made to set up an additional move or two.

I don’t think they acquired Liberatore to trade him away as part of another trade, if that is what you are asking. I think they saw an opportunity to improve future Cardinals teams without trading away anything that hurts them now.

Now, if you are asking if the two roster spaces are going to be used, well, yes. They are likely going to resign Wieters, they might resign Ozuna if they can trade away Fowler, they still need a closer, and Carlson will join the 40 man sometime this year…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

LA, you are probably right but there is also the slight possibility Liberatore could be flipped for someone like Arenado or Betts. Unlikely, but not impossible.

While acquiring one of those superstars would be exhilarating I would be very happy to keep Liberatore. When is the last time we had a LH starter this highly ranked? He seems to be more highly thought of than Jaime Garcia or Marco Gonzalez and should be ranked higher than Thompson. We might have to go back to Rick Ankiel as to the last lefty we have had this highly thought of.

I would think Liberatore is going to enter the Cardinal rankings 2nd or 3rd and should start the season at Palm Beach.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It just blows my mind that our new catcher is not receiving any love! Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce Edgardo Alfonzo Rodriguez…….Yadi’s eventual replacement.

One day we may struggle to recall the young hurler’s name who came over from Tampa in the EdRod ( that’s “Edgardo Rodriguez” to the layman) heist.
    I do think it’s kind of neato that there is an “era” in our new pitcher’s (Liberatore) name. But on the other side of the coin, there’s also a “rat”.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

According to the local news rag the Cards traded Jose Martinez and Randy Arozarena for Libertore and another rookie. I will be really sorry to see Jose go and I hope he knocks the cover off the ball in Tampa.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While acquiring one of those superstars would be exhilarating I would be very happy to keep Liberatore. When is the last time we had a LH starter this highly ranked? He seems to be more highly thought of than Jaime Garcia or Marco Gonzalez and should be ranked higher than Thompson. We might have to go back to Rick Ankiel as to the last lefty we have had this highly thought of.

That’s what I’m thinking…I’d like to see the Cards hang onto this kid. I can’t recall the last lefty starter we had that was ranked in the top 50 prospects, although Garcia was probably closest. The Cards picked up Thompson when he was a little devalued in the last draft, and now got Liberatore, who was also went a bit lower than expected in 2018.

Hopefully this is a good trade for both organizations and we are looking at a #2 to go with Diamond Jack in a few years.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Edgardo Rodriguez’s age 17 DSL season with a wrc+ of 147 was only slightly below Ivan Herrera’s 17 year old DSL season wrc+ of 155. Just sayin’.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agree, CC. Rodriguez may become more than just a throw-in guy.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So, is this our 2020 lineup after this trade. And the trail of future trades, perhaps?

Fowler
    Wong
    Arenado
    Goldschmidt
    Ozuna
    Molina
    DeJong
    Bader

?????

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice statement by Liberatore there. So unless he is traded, he’s going to slot into either the #2 or #3 spot in our team prospect rankings. I’d give Gorman the edge as I think he’s really #1 but Liberatore isn’t far behind. Both of them plus Carlson are within the overall top 40, which is a nice trio to build on.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So, is this our 2020 lineup after this trade. And the trail of future trades, perhaps?

Fowler
    Wong
    Arenado
    Goldschmidt
    Ozuna
    Molina
    DeJong
    Bader

?????

I’m not sure I see all those moves coming. Maybe we trade for Arenado and maybe we resign Ozuna, but I’d bet that both don’t happen and if so, we would probably have to find a place for Fowler to go to cut salary.

Pork Twain
    Participant

I would prefer no future trade for Arenado, that would cost us Liberatore and Gorman. This trade was a complete win for the Cards. Now we do not have to watch Jmart play defense anymore.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Now we do not have to watch Jmart play defense anymore.

Ha! Jmart was one of my favorite personalities on the team and I’m glad he got paid a bit more considering his family/country’s plight, but I agree that watching him in the OF won’t be something I will miss.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years