Cardinals OF roundup, who stays and who goes? (Grichuk)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals OF roundup, who stays and who goes? (Grichuk)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 350 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Simply think that Grichuk and Piscotty have worn out their welcomes and failed to cash in on their opportunities.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If I had to keep one I would rather keep Grichuk. At least you know what you are going to get with him. Piscotty is a complete mystery.

Participant

Free

Yeah you know Grichuk is going to stink now sure why you want that on the roster

Participant

Paid - Annual

That is really problematical with Grichuk. He has had all sorts of special instruction and even been sent down to work it out. Tremendous potential that unfortunately will probably never be realized.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Grichuk plays good defense and hits with power .He is streaky good or streaky bad.He also can steal a base.Piscotty was steady Eddie mostly before this season.Nothing special in any department except a above average RF arm.Matheny’s ignorant continued starting Piscotty because Piscotty slapped a few singles and drew some walks was wrong.Piscotty drove in 7 or 8 RBIs in August and September!
    Piscotty had 38 or 39 RBIs for the whole season .I know he missed a lot of time but he was not productive when he played.Grichuk with his strikeouts and streaks still was a bigger threat and run producer and yet Matheny kept starting Piscotty who was mostly a non factor.I would trade Piscotty and keep Grichuk even as a 4th OF.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Trading Piscotty on the low would be a terrible mistake. At least give him ST ’18 to prove himself again.

Participant

Free

I agree nyquist. I would rather see them put him in left and give away fowler. You might not get much but you’d get something plus salary room.

Trade for stanton. Sign hosmer. Piscotty plays lf and backs up hosmer at 1b and stanton in rf. Basically a full time player yet but we are not dependent on him as much.

(Pham in center, fowler gone, oneill bader and sierra figure out who is on the bench)

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m afraid you are going to have to get used to Fowler. Just hope that he stays healthy. He’s extremely good when he doesn’t have nagging injuries.

Participant

Free

FOwler is NOT a CF In any way shape or form Period if the Cards are dumb enough to continue to put him there it is BAD for the defense.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Seems like he was the CF for the Cubs when they won the World Championship, so I guess he can’t be that bad.

Participant

Free

Talk about a beyond stupid comment.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Onyx… bc is a lot of things but not stupid. Especially when it comes to anything Cardinal.

Wait, I just read his comment. Yeah… not one of his best shouts.

Fowler is being paid as the guy that was the Cubbies super CF. If he can’t play CF (he shouldn’t be), what are we paying him for? Wasn’t he supposed to have been the guy to upgrade our OF defense…. and be the ultimate lead-off guy? Fowler tanked the whole 1st half of the season. Eat the contract!! We need him like we need the plague.

ps. Isn’t Jon Jay playing CF for the team that won the NLC division? How the hell did that come to pass?
    Everybody and his brother complained about Jay’s D. Of the two, who’s the better better value?

Participant

Free

Fowler and “extremely good” should never be used in the same sentence unless it is “an extremely good waste of money”.

Solid player. Way way way overpaid.

“Extremely good” describes one centerfielder in baseball. It isnt rocket science to figure out who that is.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by AvatarBrianpnoonan.
    thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

he graded out as -4.3 and 15th out of 17 qualified CFers…right behind Trout and McCutcheon at -2.9 and -2.6…and before you start attacking Trout’s low numbers because of less games or innings…well Trout had more innings in CF than Fowler did

im sure everyone would hand over Cf to Trout in a heartbeat…probably McCutcheon too…and i dont exclude myself from that list… but truth is…he isnt all that bad…i’d prefer someone else and we have other good options…

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=cf&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2017&month=0&season1=2017&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Participant

Free

If he hit like trout nobody would say a word.

He doesn’t. Not rocket science to criticize.

He isnt worth the money. Period. GIVE him away and we are ahead of the game in major ways.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Fowler is overpaid but he isn’t terrible. The main thing with him is we must demand that he move to LF. If he absolutely refuses then we should pull out all of the stops to trade him, even if we have to eat some money.

Participant

Free

Fowler in left field puts him in “worst contracts in baseball” territory.

Same problem as carpenter moving to first. All his positives disappear he simply isnt good enough of a hitter in left.

Dump him.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice to see Jager take an analytical approach instead of just sweeping, opinionated criticizing like some posters do.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Please, let’s keep the focus on baseball matters instead of posters critiquing each other. Please.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Okay, Mr. Moderator. Totally agree. But when other posters do it I’ll have to draw it to your attention if not corrected by you.
    Especially if it’s done to me, as posters like Onyx seem to like to do.

Let’s try this. It’s nice to see Jager’s unopinionated analysis of our incumbent center fielder on this thread. And Pads factual analysis of each position that he’s started. Breath of fresh air.

Is that better?

Participant

Free

You want the math on how bad the fowler contract is? Ive provided a rough approximation before (and been ignored… Obviously).

Fowler needs roughly two five WAR seasons to justify his contract. He hasnt had one in his career.

1.6 WAR is not significantly better than grichuk (0.9) and is probably worth about 3-4 million or so (actually being a mite generous).

How much are we paying him again?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by AvatarBrianpnoonan.
    Participant

Free

Not sure being ranked 15th out of 17 qualified CF makes a good argument at all

Participant

Free

What people seem to forget about Piscotty is that he wasn’t very good for the last half of 2016 either. Over 80 games from July 2nd, 2016 on, Piscotty had a .767 OPS with 78 k in 301 abs.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by AvatarTheLonelyBull.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All I ask is that you read articles, like the recent one in the P-D which explains why injuries played a major part in Fowler not being up to his own standards in CF this season. Thank you.

Again, Fowler as a CFer was rated the overall 4th best position player available in the 2016-2017 off season, based upon how he played in 2016. I believe that should be taken into consideration.

Participant

Free

With regard to Fowler and defense, it’s never been considered good defense outside of Wrigley no matter where he was ranked in last season’s FA list. He’s only getting older and his injuries were numerous. So numerous that I’d question citing Pham as an injury risk over him.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 350 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years