Cardinals OF roundup, who stays and who goes? (Grichuk)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals OF roundup, who stays and who goes? (Grichuk)

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 350 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Bader can. O’Neill can

Forsch Would you start them over Martinez? My guess is they’d have no choice but to play Fowler in CF seeing as they seem hellbent on playing Ozuna in LF.

The only place I want Fowler banished to is LF because he arm sucks and team are going to go hog wild on it with less than 2 out. I can’t believe this team and most of this fan base can’t see that. Ozuna should be in RF. I don’t care if his glove plays better in LF and is gold.

Participant

Free

I think Fowler should be in left and I would start Bader in CF before I would move Fowler back there. O’Neill might need a little more seasoning but should be ready by June. Garcia is another possibility for CF.

I hope Martinez plays mostly 1B. If they play him in the OF, I hope Ozuna plays CF.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

One thing to note on Conner Greene is that he was pretty good the first 3 months of the season (sub 4 ERA). The last 2 months he was absolutely horrible. Injury? Tipping pitches? Mechanics out of wack?

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards now have 4 pitchers in the minors whom I believe have hit 100 on the gun – Hicks, Helsley, Fernandez, and Greene. Some scouts apparently think Greene can project to a #2-3 starter.

The Memphis outfield this season is going to be really interesting – O’Neill, Garcia, and Arozarena.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While I don’t think there is such a thing as too much depth, I like this trade. Any one of Bader, Garcia, O’Neill, maybe even Mercado or Arozarena should be able to approximate Grichuk’s value. Picking up a good bullpen piece and potentially a future ‘pen guy is a good value.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I would not assume Arozarena over Mercado for Memphis. Looks like it could be an interesting spring battle. If Bader is with StL, Mercado gets a slight bump in my assessment due to his CF defense and baserunning. Arozarena has a better bat. It may get down to which is needed more – or maybe they even come up with a four-man OF rotation.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Is there any chance O’Neill beats out Bader at ST for the big club’s fourth outfield spot?

Participant

Free

I think bader is in stl regardless.

I think the interesting guy here is valera. It just looks to me like they want to give the Swiss army knife a shot to stick so they can carry more pitchers (like they are probably going to do anyway).

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Valera will be lucky to hold on to his 40-man roster spot with Schrock and Edman both in AAA some time this season.Valera offers little besides the ability to switch-hit.I think he gets passed by very quickly by Schrock a nd Edman.Munoz is already on the 40-man roster and he can play several I NF spots and some OF.

Participant

Free

Very possible. But that kinda made my point for me in some ways.

Give him his shot. If he sticks or hits enough you CAN (do not have to) deal him for more depth.

If he doesnt stick he gets cut.

If he does stick he can still get passed and if so will likely be gone at some point.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran, of course O’Neill has a shot in the spring. At this time last year, not a one of us would have given Jose Martinez any chance of making the team, but after the best spring of anyone (and Pham’s continued struggles), he made the squad and never looked back.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Even if Valera has a great camp (and I highly doubt he will get enough ABs to show much), do you really think he would unseat Greg Garcia? I don’t. Then there is the matter that Valera is not an MLB-quality shortstop. My guess is that Munoz will get the extra looks this spring. As a better prospect also with Triple-A experience and also already on the 40-man, it only makes sense. It would take a major run of injuries for Valera to get a real chance, IMO.

Participant

Free

He doesnt need to displace anybody imo…

Assume 13 pitchers (stupid but assume it because matheny isnt smart).

Carpenter
    Dejong
    Martinez
    Garcia
    Gyorko
    Wong

Molina
    Kelly

Ozuna
    Fowler
    Bader
    Pham

Thats twelve guys. Maybe I missed someone.

They SHOULD take 13 or 14. Imo valera bridges that gap because you can play him nearly anywhere.

Also, do you really think nobody is going to get hurt?

Maybe valera is just the insurance policy. Im betting given their depth theyll give him a shot. Otherwise there are better ways to use that 40-slot.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by AvatarBrianpnoonan.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You mean, “He doesnt need to displace anybody” – if the Cards construct the roster differently than they have already announced – or if injuries occur that no one can predict – and then only if he plays better than others. If you make your own assumptions, and disregard how low the combined odds may be, of course you are going to be right.

Regarding the 40-man spot, on that we agree. If they bring in other MLBers from the outside before the season, Valera and Mayers are most at risk, IMO.

Participant

Free

Im going by the assumption that the front office wont let matheny be stupid anymore (13 pitchers).

I didnt see any announcement thereof.. So if I missed it so be it.

And yeah, I’m counting to 13. Because sane managers in the national league where pinch hitting is necessary constantly don’t take 12.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I already posted this earlier in this thread and in the WWU recap article from Saturday. (You can also listen to the audio if you choose.) Mo clearly said that they are going with 13 pitchers. He even said that 13 pitchers is “in his blood”. He did say the first week schedule with openings, coupled with the later start to the minor league season, might enable them to go with an extra hitter the first week only.

But believe what you want and even bash Matheny for a decision that seems to be enthusiastically supported by the team president. (My guess is they have analytics that back this.)

Participant

Free

Didn’t see that sorry.

I can see 13 in the al… In the nl… All I will say is omfg… I dont have a rant in me this morning for how dumb that is. If the rosters went to 26 fine. They haven’t yet.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My prediction: MLB will not increase ro$ter $ize$ unle$$ the union agree$ to lower $alarie$. What are the odds of that? The 10-day DL gives them more levers to switch guys in and out, especially pitchers. Mo also said we should expect to see the Memphis shuttle much more active in 2018 (which they can do because they swapped out a bunch of veterans for younger players with minor league options remaining).

Participant

Free

Agreed.

All I have to say : if you need a pinch hitter in the 12th inning, you cant call to memphis for a hitter.

If someone cant pitch because his arm is tired, you can call another guy up before the game.

Stupid is the mild term. Extremely mild.

Participant

Paid - Annual

With the way the game is evolving towards starters only going 5 innings I’m surprised we haven’t seen a team carry 9 or 10 relievers.

Participant

Exactly gscottar

Participant

Free

I agree in a sense.

That’s what your aaa club is used for… If you need an arm and have a good aaa club youve got several ready made middle relief arms at minimum.

Last I checked we’ve got arms coming out our nose at aaa and a very good team. Find a way to use them instead of limiting yourself to two pinch hitters per game.

It is insane roster management

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep, that’s what the Dodgers did last year. They rotated pitchers on and off the 10 day DL constantly to keep everyone fresh. I’m a bit surprised MLB hasn’t revisited that issue of DL manipulation.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gordo is “puzzled” by the Cards’ “rush” to trade Grichuk. I am puzzled why he is puzzled and based on the reader comments, I am not alone.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/gordo-cardinals-rush-to-trade-grichuk-seems-puzzling/article_d03cafc4-58cb-5743-ab2d-80d3f76a7df1.html

Participant

Free

Gordo needs to actually pay attention to the team that he is supposedly very familiar with… Because he has written commentary on them for years.

We’ve got three guys for sure, and up to six that would give us what grichuk did last year. At least three should give us more if we give them a shot. And that’s the point.

We get a very good pen arm and another 100 mph arm. For our fifth outfielder.

Repeat : our fifth outfielder.

And he said it himself… We’ve got more guys in the pipeline. MANY more.

You have to keep that pipeline from clogging or you end up with a very crappy situation.

It isn’t rocket science.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by AvatarBrianpnoonan.
Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 350 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years