Bader to miss at least four weeks

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bader to miss at least four weeks

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Agree, BB. Just think, we’re going into the season with a rookie in centerfield, a left fielder who didn’t earn a start in the playoffs last season, and who knows in right field. Maybe even a journeyman first baseman.

bccran
    Participant

Agree, BB. Just think, we’re going into the season with a rookie in centerfield, a left fielder who didn’t earn any playing time in the playoffs last season, and who knows in right field.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For a throwaway season (and one that will still probably result in a division title), there’s nothing wrong with that. If you end up proving you have three legit outfielders, your 2022 problem is solved. If not, then you trade for or sign a free agent outfielder. No need to get too bent out of shape over it. People were fooled into thinking the Cards were really going to “go for it” when the Arenado trade happened. Fact is, they are…in 2022. This year is about making money back from the loss of 2020 revenues.

bccran
    Participant

25 – Was hoping they would add an experienced outfielder from the outside this off season as insurance. Even a #4 guy who could step in if there was an injury. Kinda like Miller was last year for the infield. There were several available at bargain prices.

bccran
    Participant

Is Josh Reddick still available?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bc-Most of us know that “insurance” always comes at a net loss to a player that we may need to know about to make a decision on sooner than later. For every Miller signed, you lose an Arozarena or Voit (and to be fair, some other guys who have turned out to be nothing of a loss). Bader is a guy we know mostly what he’ll be. It sure would stink to end up trading O’Neill and have him hit 35+ HRs annually because we “needed” to sign one of these backup OF guys, wouldn’t it? Or for Lane Thomas, a major league minimum player, to be equal to a guy we pay multiple million a year to, thus taking from 2022 payroll.

This team is not going to win or lose the World Series based on the presence or lack of a veteran OFer. It probably can’t win the World Series at all without some serious fortune in the injury/bounce back category. I’m fine with running it back with Carlson, O’Neill, Bader and Thomas so we can have a more certain idea what to do this off-season. Whether that is trading for a Nimmo or Haniger type or signing a Conforto, we will have at least some direction for Mo to point in the OF/DH group. The money will be there.

bccran
    Participant

The money will be there, but that doesn’t assure you are going to be able to sign the players you want in a competitive marketplace. The Cards MO is to not give long term contracts to outsiders. Plus some players have a geographical preference. And if you make a trade, you may be giving up someone who will blossom with another organization. I’d go for a short term signing like a Beltran or Berkman type. It worked before. It’s what’s needed now. I’m unwilling to concede the 2021 season. I still want to have a shot at the WS. And we’re only a piece or two away.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This article describes just the sort of thing the Cardinals organization is geared to never let happen.

https://redbirdrants.com/2021/03/24/st-louis-cardinals-john-nogowski/

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The thing that still is bothersome is that Carpenter is still not producing (I know it is Spring training) but ONE hit ? Brian saying Carp hitting into hard luck? IMHO Caprp is still around simply because of his contract……I wonder how long aq lesh he gets into the season.Maybe he will wake up and show some signs of life tis next several games….

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To be accurate, I did not say that Carpenter is hitting into hard luck. I reported what his manager and PBO said.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d go for a short term signing like a Beltran or Berkman type. It worked before. It’s what’s needed now. I’m unwilling to concede the 2021 season. I still want to have a shot at the WS. And we’re only a piece or two away.

None of those are available who will make a legit difference. As we’ve seen this spring, our best bet is for O’Neill and Carlson to hit like they have this spring and hope for the infield to carry things. It’s possible a deadline deal opens up to add that impact bat out there and then we could jump on it to improve the 2021 World Series chances while possibly bolstering 2022 as well.

bccran
    Participant

Hold your nose. Puig? Braun? Cespedes? Adams? Reddick?

1982 willie
    Participant

If the team was going to make a move, they would have already done so. Nothing has changed. The outfielders are still unproven until we see what they do during regular season. Oneil has had a great spring but that means nothing. Carlson has hit hit well in a couple of games, still means nothing. The others have been up and down. The team has said they are basically going to find out what they have there and make subtractions as needed. Maybe after midpoint of season I could see some moves being made but we will see.

bccran
    Participant

If things start going sideways, sure hope they make a move.
    We need to keep NA.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arenado is hitting. 190 this spring, which means little or nothing. We know what he is most likely to do based upon what he has done in the past, although it is possible he will do something else going forward. The same can be said for everyone else.

bccran
    Participant

Not a good idea to compare long time successful All Star type ball players to unproven youngsters. Even as far as ST stats.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

and who knows in right field. Maybe even a journeyman first baseman

I didn’t think anyone in their right mind could even imagine Nogowski playing a single inning in right field. You are unique bc, the true unicorn of Cardinal forum fandom, either greatly gifted with a wildly inventive sense of humor and mordant wit, or perhaps a curmudgeonly depressing outlook on the Cardinal brass. Either way I enjoyed the spectacle you helped me imagine, but I think that left field in the 7th innning after batting in the top of the inning, trailing by 3+, will be the line in the sand for his ventures in the outfield.

bccran
    Participant

You’re right so cal. I kept O’Neill in left when I should have shifted him to RF, with Nogowski in left. If he brings a bat, he may become more of a starter type if they truly need that bat in the lineup almost everyday. Dean is another possibility. Light on defense, but a decent bat.

Career at higher levels for Nogowski –

AAA – 463 PAs/.295/.413/.476/.889
    AA – 611 PAs/.295/.380/.424/.804

Gotta root for both of them. They’ve paid their dues and hung in there. Still living their dream.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Totally agree bc. Nogowski is fun to watch. In the middle of the year, when the outfield competition is sorted out, or pitching is stable, and the Carpenter dilemma solved, I’d love to see him on the bench to PH. I’m thankful for 26.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

If a person doesn’t care for a person it might not be hate that I agree…but if that said person takes cheap shots and bases said player every change he gets it is hate plain and simple!

bccran
    Participant

Not “cheap shots” Onyxgem. Just an honest transparent opinion. We all have our opinions, don’t we?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

career 94 ops+ w/elite D in CF, that’s Bader AND Jackie Bradley Jr.

2/24mil is what JBJ just signed for. For my money, Bader is CLEARLY the better defender.

bccran
    Participant

The net net of this OF competition is that out of the 5 competitors only two have the talent to be starting major league outfielders for a top tier major league team. That leaves a hole to be filled from the outside. Hopefully sooner than later.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I take issue with that cranny. Bader hit .205 in 2019 which I do not consider MLB starter level talent. 4th OF, late inning defensive replacement level. As to the other in the OF competition, we won’t know for 2 or 3 months if they are starters or not. That includes Carlson. Dude hits .280 in Springfield and he’s a can’t miss MLB starter?

1982 willie
    Participant

It is cheap shots to take pokes at people and anybody with any common sense knows it, nothing about opinions. Those people that do that should talk about actual baseball stuff, if course you have to know something about the game to talk about that, might be hard for some.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.