Albert Pujols

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Albert Pujols

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 254 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

On the Hall of Fame hat thing, I have always thought the Hall itself has a say in that.

After Roy Halliday went in as a Phillie though, I wonder. Hallady should have a Toronto hat. Lee Smith did it right, as he was a Cub far longer than any of the other several teams he was with.

Going back always, one of my favorite all-time players and the guy I compared Albert to in his Cardinal years, Jimmie Fox, is in a Boston hat on his plaque, whereas he should be a Philadelphia Athletic. Jimmie was still great in Boston, but played longer in Philly, won two rings with them, and had better numbers there. Maybe Tom Yawkey’s money influenced the Hall back then.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

bicyclemike wrote:

Wow, really good Q&A. Albert was being very honest in his answers.

He said he feels good and is mentally ready for a good year. I think he will have a pretty good season – sort of a season like Lou Brock did when we came off a terrible ‘78, and showed some of the youthful Lou in his final season.

Albert may keep going if he has a good year, but if he can hit say close to .300, slam 25 homers, and the Angels compete, then it would be a perfect time to hang ‘em up.

A season like that though and he would likely try to play again though and get to 700 big flies.

Every year when the season starts I always hope for a big comeback year for Pujols. And every year so far it has failed to materialize. Maybe this is the one last chance.

I am looking forward to watching Angels games late at night this coming season. And hoping that they contend for the AL West title. Watching late games from the West Coast is, to me, one of the great things about retirement.

r/Esteemed Rat

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That’s cool Rats. I am not quite there, but getting close. Since I was let go of my long time corporate job in ‘17, I have been in semi-retirement. I work contract in my profession, accounting/finance, which keeps me busy 9-10 months a year.

Last year I was off from mid-May to mid-August, but of course there was no baseball during most of that time.

My current gig looks to end around mid-April, but they have already kept me on past what they had planned so who knows. But I would not mind a break for a couple months starting in April and being able to catch some of those late games.

This is a great way to go though. Good pay, does not have the stress that my permanent job did, and these days most of it is work-from-home.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think pujols is going to have a good year, I hope he does but reality tells me no. I think he needs to consider this as his last year as he’s playing it, maybe it will give him some boost. I would like to see a brock thing happen though. Get a comeback player of the year award if they still have that then retire though I didn’t really want lou to retire when he did but it was probably for the best.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The big question is the status of the 10-year personal services contract…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ouch. If this is the end for El Hombre, it’s a sad one.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

wow and read somewhere he had he 2nd hardest hit ball contact on the team right now

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free

He now has all the time in the world to count his money.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Before everyone starts asking if the Cards will try to acquire him, ask why would they do that? So that he could replace Nogowski on the bench? Sell some tickets in case the the covid restrictions are lessened? It really makes no sense.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Come on, I know I’m not the only one floating Matt Carpenter dump off trade with Anaheim in my mind and Anaheim sending money. If only this was MLB the Show, I’d try to work something but at least Carp can play some infield besides 1st and is a much needed lefty. It would be a heck of a farewell tour with Wainwright and Yadi, though.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I wonder if he feels disrespected

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He has to check with his wife

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I feel a little sad for pujols but the end is nigh. I did read that larussa for the white sox might be interested.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Reds are currently needing a 1stbaseman as Votto is on the IL.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Theo was still in Chicago, I would say the cubbies would be a fair bet to ink Albert. DH or no DH. Cleveland might just take a flyer on him……oh my…..is this really how his career ends?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I’d say at this point in his career, with his skills greatly diminished, about the only contribution he could make would be to join our forum and post what he is having for din-din. I bet those would be some gourmet delights!

r/Esteemed Rat

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The thing that fills me with dread is that sending a min wage guy batting .200 up to the plate would not be out of character for Shildt and Mo as we have seen so far this year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good article.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

If he signed with the Cardinals instead of the Angels there is no way this happens. Just look at exhibit A (Carpenter) to know that the Cardinals handle things. It is what it is and “respect” isn’t what it used to be.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Its bad enough we have Carpenter to feel sorry for. Pujols walked out of town once…. let him keep walking.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Confusing nostalgia with building the best roster possible is currently rampant among a considerable segment of the fan base. Glad I am not seeing the sentiment here. Some in the media seem scared of fans for calling it as it is. Pujols’ return right now is just not a fit in any way. It doesn’t change his exceptional past, though.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not a fit as to roster construction and winning games. But sadly it is not just about baseball as an old friend used to say.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Whether or not they understand the ramifications, the masses are speaking…

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 254 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years