Albert Pujols

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Albert Pujols

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 397 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bench/DH is shaping up this way:

Knizner
    Sosa
    Dickerson
    Pujols
    Nootbaar or Yepez

Gorman and Donovan are lower odds unless injuries change the picture.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Since a 40-man spot will have to be opened up for Pujols, how will the Cardinals handle it? Unknown injury? Trade? My gut is telling me Ali Sanchez will get traded soon for a prospect. Of course, I am not privy to inside information, so I could be way off base.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Unless the Flaherty situation is bad enough for the 60-day IL, I’d start with the pitchers on the 40-man who were the first cuts from camp as waiver wire candidates – Naughton, Zeuch, Quezada, Waddell and Rondon.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is definitely a PR move by the organization. There is no other explanation for it.

I am assuming that Dickerson/Pujols will get most of the DH AB’s so that doesn’t bode well for Nootbaar and Yepez. Maybe they will get some playing time in 2023. One of them may go north with the club but remember that the rosters are supposed to contract back to 26 on May 1, correct?

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Good thoughts, Brian. Those pitchers might even make it through waivers as well!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar asked:

“…but remember that the rosters are supposed to contract back to 26 on May 1, correct?”

That is the current belief. However, I don’t see it affecting position players. I don’t believe they would run with a three-man bench. In other words, the normal regular alignment would be 13 pitchers and 13 position players, with the April increase to 28 both being pitchers. The general feeling is the month will buy more time for starters to build up to go deeper into games so fewer relievers will be needed then.

My concern with the bench/DH alignment I posted above is that just one spot is a player with options that can be used. Until injuries hit, only the Nootbaar-Yepez spot isn’t locked down. So you have at least four guys lined up for just one place with St. Louis. Nootbaar gets the edge because of his experience. Yepez, Gorman, Donovan, etc. have to wait. That is how I see it as of today…

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Yepez the obvious odd man out. Pinch hitting doesn’t come into play as much now so the extra righty bat isn’t that important.

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free

Does this mean he can go into the HOF as a Cardinal and not a LA Angel?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Can’t hurt, but the connection between the two events likely isn’t very strong.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Well, one this is for certain. With BOTH Molina and Pujols on the team the Cardinals are going to lead the league in hitting into doubleplalys.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Love AP and happy he is back.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

On Yepez, it’s worth remembering that he’s hit righties better than lefties every year in the St Louis system. Several years, it’s been a wide gap. So…I don’t necessarily think it forces him out. I do think he’s likely to spend some time in Memphis to start.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cha-Ching!

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Hello all,

I’m new to the forum but… was that 10-year additional commitment to the Angels severed when they let him go? If he retires a Cardinal he isn’t then committed to the Angels is he?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Love the pujols signing. The Cardinals havent done anything to make me think they are a serious world series contender so the next best thing is to have a fun year. Having Albert, waino, and Molina all here for one last hurrah will be great for the fans and you never know how things may go.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Are we getting fat Albert or in shape Albert?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I thought the Cardinals were serious post season contenders before the Pujols signing ’82. Bringing Albert aboard does not really impact that much, but he is a nice addition to help the young guys and maybe win a game or two with a big hit in a high pressure situation.

Welcome sjeff70! I have wondered about that 10-year service part of Albert’s contract with the Angels as well. When he was released and wanted to still play I figured the Halos bought out that part of his deal, and he is no longer committed to it. But that is only a guess.

As for the Hall, it is not even close. Albert will have a Cardinal’s insignia on his hat.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good luck to him.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Welcome, sjeff70.

MLB contracts are guaranteed. My understanding is that the personal services contract is something that Pujols would have to opt into at the point he retires. In other words, he could back out, but Arte Moreno could not.

Also, when his Angels deal was announced, it was reported that the personal services contract verbiage precludes Albert from representing any other team. Since he would become Hall eligible five years into the 10 years, it could stop him from representing the Cardinals in Cooperstown.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Brian, I think there is a typo in your Pujols article. Its located in this paragraph. I’ve bolded the typo.

“In term of roster management, rookie Juan Yepez seems to be the odd man out. Even with a 28-man roster for the first month, the team is expected to carry 13 position players only. Along with the eight starters in the field, the projected roster would include Andrew Knizner, Edmundo Sosa, Corey Dickerson, Pujols and rookie Lars Nootbaar. Top prospect Dylan Carlson and Brendan Donovan are others who would seem destined to open the season with Triple-A Memphis.”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, that is a doozy. Haste makes waste. Thanks for letting me know. Correction made.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well bicyclemike, I didn’t say they weren’t post season contenders. It’s getting hard to not make the playoffs, it’s almost like NBA. But being postseason contenders is not the same as being possible world series champions. I don’t really believe in the if you make it, anything is possible. Technically it’s possible, I might win the publishers clearinghouse sweepstakes but Im not staking my finances on it. Offensively and defensively we will be ok, but pitching and health is another issue

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I hope everyone realizes there is no chance that Pujols gets to 700 homeruns this year. He will be fortunate if he gets to 690.

I guess the question is……What if he ends the 2022 season with 695 homeruns?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well A-Rod did one better(696) and he hung them up, Rat. 700 would be sweet. Albert is a Cardinal and not an Angel…… he’s ours. Unless he goes into the HoF as an Angel, then I would disown him. I think Albert will get his 700 before he hangs em up.

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 397 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years