Affiliate observations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations

This topic contains 1,016 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 901 through 925 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, how do you have “too much redundance”? All of those guys you mentioned have minor league options. Players get injured every year and replacements are needed.

For example, last season, 11 different pitchers started for St. Louis. That is why depth is valuable.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I get that Brian. Maybe the Memphis rotation will out rank some MLB teams. (Hudson, Reyes, Gant, Cabrera, Helsley, Poncedeleon and Woodford). I also get the injury thing but there are too many on the cusp of a MLB rotation spot and you need two hands to count them. I love to see prospects succeed, but the depth is so that they may never have a career in the majors at Busch. A couple are too good for AAA.

I don’t think that I’m being Cardbiased.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The one “redundancy” I think should be traded because he has no minor league options is Gant. Mayers in the pen is another candidate, again because he has no options. Both should have some value in trades to maybe help the lower levels where there are gaps.

Remember that by August last season, not a single one of the great five who opened in the Memphis rotation was still there. What you start with and what you end with can be very different.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I agree on Gant but cant figure out why there is seldom any trade speculation surrounding him by either by serious sportswriters or bloggers. Even those prone to spitballing ideas and representing as legitamate rumors seldom mention him.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that there is too much redundancy in our pitching, but also too many outfielders that are ready, or nearly ready for the majors. It has to be almost overwhelming for some of the players that are affected. I think they should trade some of these players to San Francisco for Will Smith, or a pitcher/player of comparable value somewhere else. Or, trade for high ceiling prospects. I understand that it’s easy to say that. But if no other club wants to make a fair offer, then you just can’t waste the talent we have.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I like Gant, and think he could be a real weapon in the bullpen. That said, if they could get decent value in a trade, I wouldn’t be opposed.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Recall that during spring training last year, the Cardinals traded Lucas and Valera and cleared 40-man space in the process. My gut feeling is that teams are more inclined to make trades during camp after they get a good look at what they have and assess what they need. I will be surprised if we don’t see trades this spring, too.

They also traded away Tuivailala in season among others in the same kind of trade, for a less experienced prospect. So they seem to be doing pretty well getting something for value for guys at the tail end of the roster. The jury is still out on the Voit trade, however, with early returns against them.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One thing is for sure. A lot of pitchers are coming to camp fighting for their jobs – more so than any time in my recent memory.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like there are 22 pitchers on the roster, and another 6 to 8, as well a surprise or 2, who will have a chance in camp to impress. I think we need another lefty out of the pen, and really don’t want Cabrera or Gomber relieving to start the season. Hopefully Cervenka and Layne will get a fair amount of chances. And Derian Gonzalez should not be counted out.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is safe to count out Derian Gonzalez this spring, as he will not be in big-league camp. Removed from the 40-man and not an NRI.

Early Report of 2019 Cardinals Non-Roster Spring Camp Invitees

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

He had an up and down 2018. His Memphis numbers were putrid.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who is this Andrew Owen?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not much mystery regarding most of the Cardinals rotation except who is number 5. That competition and injuries should determine the bullpen makeup and the #6/#7/#8, etc. starters. Unless in the St Louis bullpen, PDL, Gomber, Hudson, Helsley, Woodford, and Cabrera should be part of a stout Memphis rotation. I would have to bet that there will be some spring trades to reduce the logjam a bit, which will filter down to the Memphis bullpen, and the Springfield rotation. I like the chances of Krucynski, Walsh, Cruz, and Fagalde to headline a pretty darn good starting staff. Elledge, Dobzanski and Patterson should make a better bullpen than 2018. And I am curious where Elledge begins his season, the numbers game could keep him at Springfield as closer.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27, there is an Owen article on the front page for members.

I hope that if Elledge shows he is ready for Memphis that he gets to open the season there. Don’t delay your better prospects.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems like the farm system has better numbers and quality of prospects for relief help than in past seasons. Even without some starters converted to the pen, which I would prefer to see later in the year when innings need conserved. Keep starters as starters as long as you can.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

One thing is for sure. A lot of pitchers are coming to camp fighting for their jobs – more so than any time in my recent memory.

There’s nothing wrong with that! I had said last summer that I thought our prospects like Hudson, Helsley, Ponce, Gant, etc could form a better bullpen than what we were running out there. Certainly, guys like Cecil, Gregerson, Leone, Mayers need to be looking over their shoulder and coming to camp ready to roll.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards27… Owen 5’9″ RHP has been placed at State College.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looking ahead to Dec.19 ’19, according to Roster Resource These are some prospects that may need to be protected for the R-5 draft. Age – TCN ranking (revised)

Knizner 24 – #6
    JeMartinez 24 – #55 (Comm)
    Montero 20 – #4
    Edman 23 – #1
    Capel 21 – #31
    Arozarena 23 – #12
    LCedeno 20 – #32
    Jones 24 – #37
    Woodford 22 – #19
    Seijas 20 – #36
    Schesener 22 – #81 (Comm)

’18 R-5
    Schrock 24 – #27
    Ortega 21 – #41
    JrFernandez 21 – #35

These names may change before Dec. depending on their play in the ’19 season, injury or player movement.
    This group could need 5 or 6 roster spots, so the 40-man will have to be revised by then. So many things can happen there.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Must be a typo on Tommy Edman. He isn’t the #1 ranked prospect.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of that group, KNizner, (who will likely be added before the end of the season), Montero, and Edman will be added. The rest will have to have a big 2019.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27, I agree, but I think Arozarena and Woodford are also on the right trajectory. Jones may surprise as a reliever.

Edman is currently 18th here.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The Cards are in serious need of a AAA minor league FA outfielder. Not the type looking for an opt out if not on the major league roster but the type willing to put in the work, pay his dues, hope to get hot at the rigbt that an injury occurs. Obviously LH hitter would be ideal.

With Williams injured they are down to Garcia, Arozarena, and Thomas in the AAA outfield. Maybe O’Neill if he doesnt make the big club. One of Robinson or Munez will also most likely be available at Memphis. But we are really just one injury away from a desperate need (and Thomas is already hurting). Of those projected to be at AA I see know one who is ready though I would guess Drake would get the nod.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I look for Drake to be released. Springfield should have Carlson, Pinder, Mieses, Billings. Hurst also possibly there if injury occurs.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar UncleDenny.
Viewing 25 posts - 901 through 925 (of 1,017 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years