2022 Cardinals MLB Game 57 thread – Wednesday, June 8 at Rays

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 57 thread – Wednesday, June 8 at Rays

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Wooster
    Participant

Free

Guess somebody better tell our bullpen guys how many outs there are when they come in. That defense was awfull. McFadden pitching batting practice too.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hear you on the food weakness thing, Euro. It’s one of they few pleasures we older guys have left…..I cut back some, but no way I’m going total Richard Simmons with the diet thing….hey is Richard still alive?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Did the Rats hit the ball out of the infield much this inning? And why didn’t McFarland throw home for the force out? Bad bad unlucky baseball.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 7. Luke Bard center stage for the Rays.

Bader grounds out to short in an 8-3 Tampa ballgame.

Nooty strikes out swinging.

Knizner grounds out to Walls at short.

Rays 8
    Cards 3

T. J. simply forgot how many outs there were, Cardinals27. It cost us a couple of runs.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Richards Simmons. There’s one I haven’t thought of in a while. I would’ve been alright continuing to not think of him 😉

Pugs, I used to make it to Busch most every year. Haven’t been since the 2019 playoff games against the Braves. Then Covid happened and I haven’t even been to see the Nats/Orioles, who are a lot closer for me.

I need an excuse to return soon to catch a couple games. Maybe it’s too hard to pull off, but it would be nice to do a TCN posters Busch trip. Or a Jupiter in March trip.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jupiter in March would be a dandy good time….now it’s 9-3 Tampa, and since this is McFarland’s last game with the Cards’, they’ll pitch him until his arm falls off tonight. I would not expect to see another Cards pitcher in this game.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This game is painful to watch.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems like Arozarena bats every inning. And always with runners on.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who is the position player the Cards would bring in to pitch?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Knizner would quit calling for a meatball down the middle our pitchers would do a lot better.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

11-3 Rays now on the Aroz 2 run single….and they’re still looking for more.

No position players coming into this one, 1964Cards…..I can’t see them using anyone other than McFarland the rest of the way .

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Watching this and just thinking- What happened to McFarland this year. Stats were not that bad last year?

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wooster, was thinking the same thing …

McFarland entered tonite’s game with a 7.65 ERA and a WHIP of 1.75. These stats only got worse with his outing tonite. How much longer can they keep utilizing this guy?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well perfect example of why you use helsley two innings last night. He would have tonight off and most likely we would be split going into the rubber game.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 8. Bard still on the hill for Tampa.

Edman lines a single to left.

Gorman lines out to Brujan at 2nd and Tommy E. scampers back safely to 1st base. Nolan hit it on the button, but right at the Tampa infielder.

Sosa strikes out swinging.

O’Neill rips a shot right back to Bard who plucks it out of thin air right around shoe-top level to retire the side.

Rays 11
    Cards 3

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This I don’t understand…..Yadi pitching…..I figured they’d trot McFarland out there for the last inning in an 11-3 game .

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Didn’t know a ball could be thrown with velocity that low and stay airborne for 60 feet.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

LOL ! Yadi pitches an inning without giving up any runs!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

A couple of the “real” relievers have to be blushing after Yadi puts a 0 on the scoreboard.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 9. Armstrong pitching for the Rays

Donovan sends a fly ball out into left field that’ll fall in for a base hit.

Pez grounds out to 3rd base with Donovan moving safely 90 feet on over to 2nd base.

Bader strikes out looking.

Nooty strikes out looking.

Final Score:

Tampa Rays 11
    St. Louis Cardinals 3

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Those were some wimpy abs in the 9th- no effort by Bader and Nooty. Just wanted it over I guess? Only thing to do is be better tomorrow.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

VerHagen, Wittgren and McFarland all need to be DFA’d immediately. A bullpen where half the guys can’t get outs is trash.

bccran
    Participant

I agree, BHC. Moves need to be made now, or the slide will continue. Maybe Mo sees the games coming up against the Reds and Pirates, though, and doesn’t feel any urgency.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“Well, perfect example of why you use Helsley two innings last night. He would have tonight off and most likely we would be split going into the rubber game.”

Well said, Willie. Or at the very least, Marmol should have had Helsley begin the 10th inning. You can always remove him at, say, 26 or 28 pitches if necessary. Sure didn’t need him tonight.

—————————————-

“Watching this and just thinking: What happened to McFarland this year? Stats were not that bad last year?”

“Wooster, was thinking the same thing…
    McFarland entered tonite’s game with a 7.65 ERA and a WHIP of 1.75. These stats only got worse with his outing tonite. How much longer can they keep utilizing this guy?”

McFarland was grabbed off the scrap heap last year, and put up a fine couple of months. But he’s one of MLB’s least consistent relievers over the past decade, with several terrible seasons interspersed with excellent and mediocre ones. (He has 0.2 career WAR, per Baseball-Reference.) This year he’s bad, so dump him. It’s a pretty easy choice, and likely would’ve been done 4-6 weeks ago by a competent manager. But our Boy Wonder appears to have very little understanding of which pitchers are starters, and which are relievers. And which are good, and which are not. Naughton, not a starter. McFarland, not good. Not this year.

What’s really galling is that Matt Liberatore pitched tonight in AAA. Six innings, two runs. Nice, normal, boring outing that ate innings and kept his team in the game. The kind of outing that Packy Naughton and Jordan Hicks and Andre Pallante might literally never have in the majors as starting pitchers. But Marmol is gonna keep on trying, no doubt. Packy Freakin’ Naughton and Andre Pallante are getting MLB starts instead of Jake Woodford and Matt Liberatore. No doubt Marmol will give Oviedo some more starts, too. Have to find every single solitary way possible to avoid giving Jake Woodford a start.

Here’s all you need to know. The Cards were off just two days ago, and yet tonight they used Yadi as a reliever because they ran out of other better choices. That’s grotesque pitching staff mismanagement. That’s when you know your manager is in over his head.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Sad. Sad. Sad. Awful things happen when I’m sleeping. Glad I missed this one.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.