2022 Cardinals MLB Game 57 thread – Wednesday, June 8 at Rays

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 57 thread – Wednesday, June 8 at Rays

Viewing 16 posts - 76 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oviedo’s ERA in Memphis is 5.58 this year and last year it was 6.13. Given that AAA batters knock him around, how is it rational to think MLB batters won’t do the same and more?

Meanwhile, Liberatore gave up 6 hits and 2 walks in 6 IP in Memphis. Flaherty should be getting his second rehab start soon, he went 3 IP on the 5th. Woodford gave up 5 H and 3 ER in 3 IP his last time out in STL. I’m not sure he has pitched yet since being sent down.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Significant acquisitions are needed

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Woodford has been sent all over the place this year and not given 1 start. Yet he is the most qualified pitcher to start and he has had success. Sure he gave up 3 runs his last outing, as he gets flown in and then is forced to pitch as soon as he lands, really! Ridiculous. Plus even with his last appearance his numbers are still far better than half the dam staff.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Acquisitions needed? Good, trade Woodford so he can go help another team immediately!

bccran
    Participant

Bullpen –

Helsley
    Hicks
    Gallegos
    Cabrera
    Woodford
    Thompson
    Rondon

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Hicks can’t stay healthy and I haven’t heard a thing about how long he’s looking at being out. He had TJ and now this is like the 3rd forearm stain since it.
    I’d love to hear how Rosenthal looked and if the Cardinals were in attendance, because they’ve got to go something. And they better find a LH because McFarland has got to go.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here’s all you need to know. The Cards were off just two days ago, and yet tonight they used Yadi as a reliever because they ran out of other better choices. That’s grotesque pitching staff mismanagement. That’s when you know your manager is in over his head.

Bob, I respect your knowledge of the game and our prospects and team. And I agree that Marmol may be in over his head. That said, there’s no doubt that the man who’s pulling the strings is Mo. That’s who’s at fault here. I’d have a hard time believing that Marmol is making personnel decisions regarding who is up and down from the minors.

I don’t think it’s much of a secret that the Cards aren’t really going for it this year. They’ll likely make the playoffs and sell a bunch of tickets with the farewell tour. That’s the goal for Mo and Girsch this year, which is a shame because they have a nice nucleus.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I certainly hope Flaherty turns out to be the great savior of the rotation everybody seems to think he’s going to be upon his return. Prepare for disappointment.

bccran
    Participant

Woodford, Libby, and Rondon all should have shots at the rotation. We’re going into a period against teams like the Pirates and Reds. Let’s come out of that at least 10-12 games over .500.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I certainly hope Flaherty turns out to be the great savior of the rotation everybody seems to think he’s going to be upon his return. Prepare for disappointment.

While I’m not sure I’d call him a savior, he’s certainly going to be a large step up from what we’ve been running out. I’d take 4-5 innings of typical Flaherty over Naughton, Hicks, and the rest of the chaff.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Marmol may not have a day far as the roster but he has a say in in-game activities. So far if you didn’t know better, you would think the Cardinals hired a guy who had never even knew what a baseball was let alone how to play the game.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Pitching has really been a problem where it used to be a strength, organizationally. Bullpen has always played second fiddle but… playing good teams will reveal your weaknesses and let’s you know where you stand.

They need to work on their fundamentals and this falls squarely on Marmol. I say work on, not get back to because I haven’t seen many of the fundamentals that are important for a winning team this year. We will see how they deal with yesterday’s embarrassment by how they play today.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Rondon hás the best game as a fill in starter nas they havent used him this game or 5 days ago even though it coincided with his deu tô pitch. Frustrating.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s be very clear. Marmol has three choices in the bullpen right now. Helsley, Gallegos, and Cabrera. That is it. The rest have been garbage so far. Who else is he supposed to use? Who set the roster?

@dgoold

Oliver Marmol captures in two sentences the plight of all managers when it comes to bullpen choices:

“At some point, other people need to get outs. That’s the bottom line.”

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And I agree that Woodford and Liberatore should be starting instead of Naughton and Pallante but why would you think that is Marmol’s decision? I highly doubt it is.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

In some of the recent drafts, Mo has tried to fix the lack of offense with offensive picks to the detriment of pitching depth.

MO has wasted so much money (and seasons) on bad contracts, trying to fix the holes that he can’t fill urgent needs.

I would like to know where O’Neill went when he was gone because his timing at the plate looks much better this time around. Did he call Mr. McGwire???

Viewing 16 posts - 76 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years