2022 Cardinals MLB Game 56 thread – Tuesday, June 7 at Rays

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 56 thread – Tuesday, June 7 at Rays

Viewing 20 posts - 76 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Marmol says they are trying to stop using their relievers multiple innings. Sounds like one of those decisions coming from on high. Regardless makes zero sense. Tomorrow may be a totally different game, may not need the bullpen, may get blown out. Might be a position player pitching tomorrow late. This is bad game management, only Al had the gumption to basically call it that.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“We only have two or three guys in the bullpen that you really trust.”

The Boy Wonder has given more innings to both Wittgren and McFarland than to Jake Woodford. It doesn’t matter how good anybody is, how trustworthy anyone has established himself to be, if the manager is simply too stupid to realize it, too blind to see what’s in front of his face.

On the bright side, Hader just coughed up TWO homers in the 9th inning, and the Brewers got beat by the Phils.

1982 willie
    Participant

So true Bob, so true.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Woodford is in Memphis – is that Mo’s decision or Marmol’s? I think it’s Mo’s.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That last pitch that VerHagen threw to this Walls kid batting .154 was way up in the outside corner. It was a good pitch.

Nobody knows what the rest of Walls’ career will be like, but he’ll always have this game to think back on.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

It was a terrible decision! You all know my hate for VerHagen is strong. The only reason why someone did this was because Helsley was used almost 3 inning a couple days ago. That is the only reason you have for not putting him in to close it out. It’s a pretty week one and I am getting sick and tired of digging out of a hole to start a series.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

O’Neill’s 3rd K of the night, in the 10th with one out, one run already in, and two runners aboard really hurt. Getting Goldy to third was the minimum acceptable outcome from that AB. Not that one extra run from that rally would have avoided the loss, but he has to be able to make contact and put it in play and contribute to the rally somehow.

I agree that pen usage doesn’t make sense, but I am sure Ollie is following the script.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, that stunk. A couple of thoughts …

1. The Redbirds left 11 on base. That was the real killer here. IMO, you cannot do that and win games against the good team like the Rays.

2. Location of last pitch – Hrabosky questioned that pitch call in the post game show. I was thinking the same thing. Not sure that location plays to Ver Hagen’s strengths.

3. Redbird pitching and defense was great … with the exception of Ver Hagen’s last pitch.

Lee
    Participant

Tell me again why Woodford isn’t pitching for the Cards..?

Player ERA Games Inns hits Runs HR HB WHIP AVG

NickWittgren 5.06 23 21.1 25 12 1 4 1.59 .298

T.J.McFarland 7.65 18 20.0 29 17 4 2 1.75 .363

JakeWoodford 3.32 9 19.0 18 7 1 0 1.32 .265

DrewVerHagen 4.96 12 16.1 15 9 3 1 1.53 .242

Lee
    Participant

OH ya, Woodford needs to work on his slider… sure. bs. Maybe Verhagen should go to aaa and work on his changeup with McFadden and Wittgren.

Lee
    Participant

Bob Reed. right on.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not saying Marmol makes all of the right decisions but he DOES NOT make the roster. He has to use what the front office gives him. Marmol didn’t give contracts to McFarland, Brooks, Wittgren, VerHagen, and Naughton. At least I don’t think he did.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Are we missing Dickerson, Matz and Hicks? Maybe HIcks a little.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No we aren’t missing them. Look at the acquisitions the front office made in the offseason. Pujols, Dickerson, Matz, McFarland, Brooks, Wittgren, VerHagen, and Naughton. None of them have contributed much of anything. The reason this team is close to first place is because of Goldy, Edman, Bader, Waino, Mikolas, Hudson, Helsey and the young guys like Donovan, Yepez, and Gorman.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There’s not one signing that has proven to even be mediocre so far. We could have gotten a ton better production for nearly free from the farm.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Verhagen signing is for 2 years. So we can watch him get paid to mop up games thru 2023. Bad signing.

I would rather have given Walsh, Pacheco, Thomas, Boskiovic (although he is mostly been injured). Rondon chances instead of blocking their advancement by washed up rejects. And I’d like to see Oviedo moved to the pen.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo’s low hanging fruit is rotten and stinking.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Thanks for the kind words, Willie and Lee.

The greatest achievement of the front office over the winter was to NOT saddle the team with some massive, wasteful, counterproductive free agent signing. This was honestly a substantial accomplishment, given the clamoring in many quarters for guys like Schwarber & Castellanos (so far they’ve combined for the same WAR as Paul DeJong: 0.2), as well as numerous disappointing free agent shortstops.

If Marmol would just cut out the B.S. with Woodford, and deploy his relievers in a reasonable fashion, the pitching staff should be fine going forward. (Two years of VerHagen in mop-up duty wouldn’t actually be so awful; it’s games like last night that kill you, when VerHagen is given profound responsibilities by Marmol that don’t match his skill/experience.) Is McFarland still on the team? If so, why? Because he had a fluky couple of months last year?

Also, in Jeff Albert-related news, Matt Carpenter is now killing the ball for the Yankees after killing the ball in AAA. Small samples, of course. But wouldn’t it have been nice if even over a small sample he had been something other than terrible for the Cards over the past several seasons?

1982 willie
    Participant

Far as carpenter goes, sometimes it’s just about getting a change of scenery. In a lineup like the Yankees, carpenter doesn’t need to be great so lack of pressure can be a great thing.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

You make a fair point, Willie. Carp in NY doesn’t need to be a Big Bat.
    But then, he also was murdering the ball this year in the Texas organization, albeit in AAA.

It just seems like he needed to go anywhere Jeff Albert wasn’t coaching. (And I say this as someone who is more than willing to praise Mr. Albert as a “player developer.” He just isn’t the guy I want as primary coach with my major league hitters on a day-to-day basis.)

Viewing 20 posts - 76 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.