2022 Cardinals MLB Game 56 thread – Tuesday, June 7 at Rays

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 56 thread – Tuesday, June 7 at Rays

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:10 p.m.
    RHP Dakota Hudson (4-2, 2.96) vs. LHP Jeffrey Springs (2-2, 1.88)
    BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSE and BSSW+

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Anybody worried about Gorman? He is striking out at about a 40% clip at this point. And yes, I know it’s a somewhat limited sample size. However, this has always been the knock against him, the high strikeout numbers. I guess what honks me off is that when he gets two strikes he still swings like a maniac, like he is trying to hit it 450 feet. Then again, that’s typical of baseball nowadays.

Thoughts posters?

r/Esteemed Rat

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Of course it’s too soon to draw any sort of conclusions about Gorman, nonetheless I get a little tightening in the gut when I see him whiff multiple times. Quite different from the tightening I get when I see him mash one deep into the seats. I’m not sure if more time in Memphis would be beneficial. Maybe he just misses his buddy Liberatore.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Thoughts posters?”

Gorman may have only 52 PA’s but that shouldn’t prevent us from discussing his debut.

He is being platooned, 47 PA’s vs RHP’s, 5 vs LHP’s, so lets focus on vs righties, his current role.

You brought up his K’s, understandably. He currently has 16 K’s in 47 PA’s. One-third of his PA’s he has K’d.

What about the other two-thirds of his PA’s? He has 5 BB’s, 7 singles, 3 doubles and 3 HR’s in 31 PA’s (vs righties).
    ——-
    Overall vs righties, all 47 PA’s, he has posted a .978 ops, or if you like OPS+ he’s a 177, which is a all-star level ops+ (sss reminder). His slash vs righties is…..
    .310 / .383 / .595 / .978

Before Donovan and Gorman got brought up STL was a 96 ops+ vs righties. IMO it’s why the lineup was so inconsistent. Those two above were exactly what our lineup vs righties needed.

I’m going to choose to focus on the two-thirds where Gorman doesn’t K, and I know you’ll help me monitor the other third, his K’s, going forward 😉

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Many young talented hitters strikeout a lot. You just have to live through that as they mature.

I usually look at the talent and athleticism first, and if the guy has that then I say play him often, and let him gain the experience. As he gains some traction and success, the confidence will build and the strikeouts will come down to some degree.

But the fact that every pitcher today is a hard throwing strikeout type, the Ks will always be a big part of the game.

1982 willie
    Participant

Watching his swings and seeing how he almost is always swinging from his heels, tells you all you need to know. He will always strike out at a very high rate. Without a total do over which I don’t see him ever doing, this is what he will be. Getting to see all the pitchers will help him but still, hes going to s to strike out a lot. Sometimes what he does other times will make it worthwhile, other times it’s going to be hard to digest. While a player like him will never really be a favorite of mine, as long as you don’t have more than one or maybe two in a lineup, you can definitely win with players like him. I have more concerns with his defense which is why the dh is the best place right now for him.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Jim Edmonds and Ray Lankford both put up some K’s. They were pretty good players. He is just getn started. As he grows more comfortable hopefully he makes some adjustments. Can live with what he has done so far, I’m betting it gets better.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We will have to see what happens as opposing teams get more familiar and figure out pitching and defensive strategies. O’Neill and Carlson looked great last year and not so great this year. I have always been cautious about him, being a dead pull LH hitter.

bccran
    Participant

In 200 plate appearances at Memphis this season, Burleson has struck out only 26 times. Hitting .325 with a .940 OPS. Has hit 12 home runs in those 200 plate appearances. He’s scrappy like Donovan, but with more power.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Burleson is good at not striking out, indeed…but his walk rate leaves something to be desired. His ratios remind me of Tommy Edman, who will always be somewhat dependent on batted ball luck to thrive. Burleson definitely has more power, though. He could be a Brandon Moss type, or perhaps an earlier career Corey Dickerson (who had a good average but low walk rate and decent power).

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

FYI here.

Michael Wacha threw a complete game 3-hit shutout last night for the Red Sox. He looked like his old self.
    Boston beat the Angels 1-0 in Anaheim. It was the Angels 12th consecutive loss.

r/Esteemed Rat

14NyquisT
    Participant

I found something interesting to me and its somewhat of a mystery. Card pitching has the lowest AVR. against the #3 batter (.210) the #2 batter (.222) and third lowest is #4 batter (.232) than the rest of the #s in opposing batting orders. Strange.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Card25, Tommy Edman has the second-best OBP on the team at .381…81 pts higher than his BA. Only Goldschmidt is higher for everyday players.

bccran
    Participant

Some posters were bashing Edman in the off season because of his OBP. Especially as a leadoff man. He’s a very smart player, though, and appears to have made the necessary adjustments. If he can be a math and computer science major at Stanford, he probably has the qualifications to make those adjustments.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can think of 8 better slots to bat Donovan than where he’s hitting tonight. O’Neill should be pumped up for his return and have a productive evening. But what he’s going to do after tonight is the real $64,000 question.

Din-din tonight will be Red snapper, creamy mushroom noodles, French onion soup and 3 Popeye’s apple cinnamon pies with Breyer’s vanilla on top.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

My din-din today was a trip to the German restaurant down in Jasper, the Schnitzelbank. I got the Ground Sirloin, German Fries, Green Beans, and a couple of Cokes. They didn’t have much in the way of dessert so I just decided to let it go.

Has O’Neill had any rehab starts? I am going to call this one 6-2 Redbirds with Sosa getting off the schneid with a long wanger to LF.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Esteemed One tossing us a curve ball with a rare trip to the Schnitzelbank. I’m very surprised that Rat didn’t have any weiners & kraut…….or his usual 3 coarse dessert to polish matters off. Hey Rat, one of these days I’m coming your way to treat you at your favorite restaurant…..and that goes for any other regular poster here. So far I’ve only met two of you characters in person. About 8 years ago, I had lunch with the wily Magnolia Cardinal (Mags) in Madison, Wisconsin. And a couple of years ago I met the king of sports trading cards, BicycleMike, for lunch in The Mile High City.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s not the first time Donovan has batted 9th vs a LH SP’r, but it’s a compliment he’s the only lefty bat in the lineup. Marmol could have gone all righty with Yepez in RF.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats said:

Anybody worried about Gorman? He is striking out at about a 40% clip at this point.

Actually it is 34.6%. That is ranked 25th in MLB among players with at least 50 plate appearances.

As noted, Gorman is doing pretty well overall. In fact, among all MLB rookies with at least 50 PAs, his wRC+ is 168, ranked number one.

Why focus on the minority?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

According to Baseball Reference he has struck out 18 times in 46 atbats. That is 39%.

I guess it just honks me when I see any player swinging like a maniac when the situation calls for just PUTTING THE BALL IN PLAY!!!

r/Esteemed Rat

1982 willie
    Participant

Well.i wish they would swap Donovan and bader myself. Wonder once we get Carlson back, how things are going to look. I hate to see us go totally back to the same with how great the young guys have did. I still think Dickerson was and is kind of unnecessary. Maybe O’Neil got things right and starts hitting. I guess we will see. Thing is it’s not really early anymore. Don’t have time to give a lot of rope.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well Rats, Gorman is not going to be a put the ball in play type of guy. Even in the seventies and eighties, we had some guys who just generally swung hard all the time.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Indeed Pugs and I did have lunch out here a couple of years or so ago – fish ‘n chips. Then we hit a sports collectibles shop. Hopefully someday some of us can join Rats at the German place in Jasper.

I think Pugs mentioned possibly hanging ‘em up next year and going in to retirement mode. My plan is the same. Gonna keep plugging away until sometime around the holidays this year, then call it a career.

I may dabble in occasional work after this, but will mostly be living the life Rats leads – Cardinal baseball, old television shows and movies, traveling, taking care of the honey-do’s, and whatever else may come along that is not at an office desk.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.