2022 Cardinals MLB Game 160 thread – Monday, October 3 at Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 160 thread – Monday, October 3 at Bucs

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Cards667
    Participant

Free

Yepez? You posters want Yepez?? Seriously???

Who else you got? A 3rd catcher? A 10th reliever?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

stlcard25…Yeah, the Cardinals have to hit up and down the entire order starting Friday. If that doesn’t happen, whoever they play will simply pitch around the teeth of the order in Goldy, Nado and Albert and hope to limit the damage to the solo type tater or two. Eddie, Nootz and Donnie have to reach base to create some genuine pressure situations on opposing pitchers when the big kids step in. You never really know who’s going to be a catalyst in a play-off or WS contest, but Donovan’s my pick to really make a name for himself in this year’s post-season. If the Cardinals can advance, I can see him with 7 to 10 hits in a 5 or 7 game series. Eddie’s also a guy I’d forsee as being that type of difference maker. Heck, it could be DeJong…HAHA!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I don’t like the idea of Yepez or Burleson doing anything other than PH or DH in the playoffs, and we know Albert will be DHing. Too high a probability of a game changing defensive misplay for me. The ball will find them. And that doesn’t mean I like Dickerson at the plate now either. Lesser of two evils. We really need O’Neill healthy.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yepez has offense-carrying ability with the bat…which diminishes the risk of lost value significantly, for me. Burleson is (probably, the sample sizes are small) better both with the bat and the glove than Dickerson.

I feel like throwing away 10% or more of your precious at bats on an automatic out is a much bigger risk. But…I’ll grant that your view may prove correct, Euro.

I do agree entirely with your final statement…O’Neill makes this an easy decision if he’s back.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I do agree entirely with your final statement…O’Neill makes this an easy decision if he’s back.

Has it been directly stated that O’Neill will not play in the field during the Wild Card series? I am deducting he won’t based on Marmol’s comments. A couple days ago Marmol said O’Neill wouldn’t play in the field in the wild card series if he doesn’t play in the field prior to that, but he still might be included on the wild card roster. I read this morning that Marmol said O’Neill will not be activated for the Pittsburgh games. So that should mean if O’Neill is included on the wild card roster, it would be for hitting purposes only.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Other than stepping in from opposite sides of the plate, Yepez and Dickerson are remarkably similar regarding numbers and are pretty much an even trade-off. As Rats pointed out, Yepez swung the bat well in May and June. He then flamed out for the first half of July before an injury sidelined him for about 7 weeks. Since the start of July he’s had 16 hits in 79 AB’s which isn’t too awfully bad until you see he’s only had 5 RBI’s since July 1st. Dickerson was a bust until around the trade deadline. He then got silly hot until almost two weeks into September. Since September 12th, he’s had just 7 hits in 53 AB’s. His only 4 RBI’s in those 53 AB’s came on the solitary tater he hit in that time span which was a GS the other day vs. Pittsburgh. Both of them make me nervous in LF, so I guess take your pick. I’d probably feel more comfortable with Dickerson than the rookie Yepez in the post-season.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

With the exception of Knizner, tonight’s line-up is almost certainly the one for the post-season opener on Friday. Good move to have the 40 year old backstop in drydock and refitted for the opener. My hope is that Molina will only see PH’ing duties for these final three regular season games.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unless we end up playing our playoff games at Wrigley Field for some strange reason I wouldn’t count on Dickerson to do much. That is where almost all of his offensive production in 2022 came from.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

EuroDandy…It was directly stated by Marmol that if O’Neill doesn’t see any action in the OF in these final three regular season games, he wouldn’t see action in the OF in the first round. The article was dated Sept. 30th.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see Yepez and Dickerson as similar at all. Dickerson is a total free swinger with very little power (6 HRs this year). He also isn’t much with the glove.

Yepez swings more than average too, although he isn’t completely averse to taking a walk. He also has very good power, with 12 HRs in St Louis and 16 more in Memphis. He’s a bad fielder and that’s concerning, but in October I think you have to go with the upside. In this case, Yepez is it. Coincidentally you’d have to go with Yepez even if you want to know who’s had the better year (Yepez 116 OPS+ and Dickerson 100 OPS+) or who’s been better lately (see above).

Neither are bad to have in case of emergency…you just hope you’re not dependent on them to catch a rocket to left or pop one over the fence.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

stlcard25…No, they’re entirely different types of hitters, but their numbers this season are nearly identical. And in addition to the numbers, both have posted them in the same manner of inconsistency. At least that’s my impression.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Has anyone heard anything regarding a time for Friday’s opener? I’ve been led to believe it was almost certainly going to be a day game.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Dickerson should be allowed to walk, and this winter is a perfect time to sell high on Yepez, who doesn’t fit the roster.

What they have most in common is neither should be a Cardinal next season.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I feel a little bad for Yadier in his last season only because he seems to be a little overshadowed by his old buddy Albert as the great HOF catcher is also saying his goodbyes this year. Albert’s my all-time favorite position player, but let’s face facts. Yadier Molina never changed out of a Redbird uniform in his 19 year Big League career. Loyalty still counts for something and it’s my hope that Yadier displays some of the many heroics of his past during this post-season that Albert has displayed during this regular season. There’s no question in my mind that he had the second most important HR since I’ve been following Redbird baseball. I’ll never forget the smile that the young catcher flashed as he hit one over Chavez and the wall at old Shea Stadium to win a NL pennant in ’06. I’d like nothing better than to see that sort of Yadier Molina smile in the coming weeks.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems like Ollie might favor Yepez for the post season roster because he does not have a platoon split and so is more useful off the bench/DH. There is likely to be one or more defensively challenged players on the roster however it goes.

wagee12
    Participant

No way should DeJug be on the post season roster. Need another bat, not a dead out, striking out most of the time.
    BTW assuming the Phillies will be the opponent is a stretch right now. They are in Houston to finish the season.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Tonight’s game thread trivia questions could both be considered easy. One is fairly recent and the other has a pretty good clue in the question itself…

1. Joe Neikro hit exactly 1 HR during his 22 year career in which he had 1165 PA’s. He hit it off of a future HOF pitcher. Who was that HOF pitcher?

2. Who was the player who in 1999, was awarded a GG despite playing only a record low 28 games for a GG winner in the field that season?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Donovan simply reaches base.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Arenado was scratched. No reason yet

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Cards667…I’ll be darned. Maybe get Yepez some looks?

Cards667
    Participant

Free

“Precautionary, no reason to push him”

Cards667
    Participant

Free

No way should DeJug be on the post season roster

Who’s the backup IF then? I don’t expect him to play. I mean with the DH the bench probably doesn’t get much action anyway.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll take a stab at the trivia tonight…

1. Phil Niekro

2. Edgar Martinez

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years