2022 Cardinals MLB Game 160 thread – Monday, October 3 at Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 160 thread – Monday, October 3 at Bucs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

5:35 p.m.
    LHP Jose Quintana/RHP Miles Mikolas vs. RHP Mitch Keller (5-12, 3.92)
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSE and BSSW+

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The “normal” rotation would be Mikolas, Quintana and Flaherty for these three games. I’m guessing that we will see the Cards show their hand as far as the playoff rotation here. The Wild Card games are Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so anyone Tuesday or after might not be available to start a game in that series.

My best guess as to the starters for each game…Mikolas (who pitches a light duty game of around 80 pitches at most), followed by Hudson and then Flaherty (who throws a light game too). That leaves the playoff rotation as Quintana, Waino and Mikolas with Monty available in the pen.

We’ll see a lot of the B bullpen. Woodford may be the man of the hour in Pittsburgh. I could also see them clearing a spot for Liberatore to start game 162 if they want Flaherty in the pen for the Wild Card series. JoJo might be the odd man out?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Philly has a nice blend of RH and LH batters.

I think you must try to limit the damage done by lefties Schwarber, Harper, Marsh and Stott.

Make Realmuto, Hoskins, Seguera and Bohm beat you.

I’d prefer LH starters vs Philly or MIL.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

My 3 game rotation in the play-offs would be:
    1. Quintana
    2. Mikolas
    3. Monty
    I don’t like lefties back to back. I don’t trust Flaherty.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

GameCard…I have to believe Mikolas will get the baseball for the opener. My feelings regarding Flaherty are identical to yours.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Game card. right on with the top 3. Could also switch 1 & 2…
    What do you all feel about the bullpen make up? I heard Ollie was possibly going to carry all 5 starters in post season.
    If you have 3 starters in Q, Miles & Monty, then I would have 9-10 in the pen:
    (can’t have enough pitching)
    Hels, Gio, Andre, Zach, Waino, Woody, Hicks, Matz, Dak,
    (Romero, Strat..?)

GameCard
    Participant

Free

The 8 relievers that you listed are probably the ones they go with.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I too like the L/R/L starters for the playoffs.

Quintana / Mikolas / Montgomery

If any of these guys are having an off day it will be all hands on deck in the pen.

I hope Wainwright and Flaherty are in the bull pen and DeJong is not on the roster at all.

We shall see.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cabrera, last game 9/27. 1 inng. 6 hits, 5 runs.! ugh!
    Certainly not ready to contribute.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Well, this will be the first season that 12 teams will qualify for bonus baseball, so you would have thought that the last 3 games of the regular season would provide countless possibilities. But I can’t really detect any added drama. Most of the division races were decided weeks ago. Even the WC’s are pretty much cut and dried. I’m getting old and obsolete, but I can recall when the regular season provided more than a month’s worth of play-off type high stakes drama. I don’t really think that pennant races exist anymore, and at one time they could really be something. Many of the most pulse pounding games I’ve ever attended were in the midst of a hotly contested, old fashioned pennant race.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So it’s Quintana and Mikolas today…who’s gonna get the chance to have their W stats padded? Haha

I like the thought behind this. I presume Flaherty will start a game, or perhaps Hudson and Liberatore.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Neither are expected to go 5 IP. More like a bullpen session for them.

14NyquisT
    Participant

IMO…..A bullpen start might be the wisest choice. You can’t let them get rusty. Marmol will have to figure out how to filter them into this 3 game set. Running Hudson or Liberatore out to start won’t help anyone.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Neither are expected to go 5 IP. More like a bullpen session for them.

That’s why I said that…the “starter” is going to have no chance at the W, so the “reliever” will have a shot to pick one up.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

In regards to starters, I’d like to see these last 3 games with a line-up card that reads like one the Cardinal manager will fill out on Friday. Regardless of the SP’er the Redbirds will face, here’s mine with and without the availability of O’Neill.

Donovan 2B… Donovan 2B
    Edman SS… Nootbar RF
    Goldschmidt 1B… Goldschmidt 1B
    Arenado 3B… Arenado 3B
    Pujols DH… Pujols DH
    Molina C… Dickerson LF
    O’Neill LF… Molina C
    Carlson CF… Carlson CF
    Nootbar RF… Edman SS

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

When or if will O’Neill and Hicks be activated?

Or have I missed something?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Rats…A local article dated Sept. 30 quoted Marmol as saying if O’Neill didn’t play in the OF for these last 3 regular season games, that he would not be in LF for the first round. He also said that not playing him in the field “didn’t preclude him from being an offensive part of a configuration.” PH or DH…Who knows?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dickerson’s last 15 games, his average, OBP and SLG all start with a .1xx…no way I’m starting him in a series we need to win. Give me one legged O’Neill, Yepez, Burleson or anyone else.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

stlcard25…You have a good argument. Yepez makes me more than a little skittish when the baseball’s hit to him, but honestly Dickerson’s been an adventure at times as well. I’ve seen him involved in a couple of misplays that made LF look like a circus this season. I’m not sure how he was ever awarded a GG when he played in Pittsburgh.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

That’s exactly what I said I’d do a few days ago. Start Mikolas go 2-3 innings, bring in Quintana for 2-3 innings.
    It will be interesting to see when and how they bring back Hicks. I said I’d start Woodford tomorrow and have matz go 2 innings after him and then probably Stratton for 2 innings. And then option Woodford after the game to activate Hicks and get him in after Hudson in the last game.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Yepez? You posters want Yepez?? Seriously???

When was the last time he did anything? Other than back in June, that is.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I still say my playoff roster would be
    1. Donovan 2B
    2. Edman SS
    3. Goldschmidt 1B
    4. Arenado 3B
    5. Nootbaar RF
    6. Pujols DH
    7. Dickerson LF
    8. Molina C
    9. Carlson CF

DeJong, Yepez, Burleson, DeLuzio, Knizner

If O’Neill is able to come back then he’d bump Burleson off and play LF vs LHP still hitting 7th to me.

Mikolas, Quintana, Montgomery
    Back to back LHP doesn’t bother me. I want a W in game 1 and I think Mikolas gives the best chance at winning right now.

Wainwright, Flaherty, Matz, Stratton, Hicks, Pallante, Thompson, Gallegos, Helsley

OFF: O’Neill/Burleson, Gorman, Herrera, Romero, Hudson, Woodford, Naughton, Naile, Cabrera, Liberatore

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

TD…the last three weeks wRC+:

Pujols 206
    Nootbaar 158
    O’Neill 149
    Donovan 129
    Yepez 125
    Arenado 113
    Deluzio 98
    Carlson 98
    Burleson 94
    Goldy 89
    Edman 63
    Knizner 44
    Gorman 42
    Dickerson 33
    Yadi 14
    Dejong -14

The offense has been pretty middling overall (97 wRC+) but there are bigger culprits than others. Catcher is a big hole. LF is also problematic if O’Neill is out. I’d probably prefer to start Yepez or Burleson out there.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years