2022 Cardinals MLB Game 154 thread – Sunday, Sept. 25 at Dodgers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 154 thread – Sunday, Sept. 25 at Dodgers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

3:10 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (11-9, 3.29) vs TBA
    BSM // MLBN // KMOX
    Also BSSO and BSSW+

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have taken a look at Adam’s game scores for September. 33, 35, 48, 43. That averages 39.75. Yikes.

I can only hope Rat and Whitey will scoot over and make room on the ledge for me.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why Waino is not resting until playoff time absolutely boggles my simple mind. Can someone please help me understand why they are trotting him out there. Thank you in advance.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Can someone please help me understand why they are trotting him out there.

At 41, if he sits around to much he will seize up.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

With the division in hand Wainwright is intentionally being average to mislead the Padres for the short series in StL.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wainwright is intentionally being average

Quote taken from MLB.com advanced stats glossary:
    A Game Score of 50 is considered “average,” while a Game Score of 40 is deemed to be “replacement level.”

If this is to be believed, Adam last turned in an “average” performance in August. All four September starts have been below average with two of the four below replacement level.

Like I said above, Yikes!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I am afraid the worst case scenario is about to play out. With Wainwright’s struggles and the vaunted Dodger offense this game will undoubtedly be another laugher. And it’s a given that the Brewers will win again today at Crosley Field over the Reds and complete the sweep. Can you say 5.5 games?

Then after the two game sweep by the Brewers (and Front Row Amy) at County Stadium it will be down to just 3.5 games. The only way the Redbirds can hang on here is to win at least four of those remaining six games against the Pirates. And that won’t be easy.

I’ve been telling everyone this for the last couple of weeks. I hope you are finally starting to realize the gravity of this situation.

r/Esteemed Rat

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I can still read a box and discern the winning and losing pitcher of decision, but I’m a little behind the times and not up to speed on the formula used to calculate a pitcher’s game score.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

search: Game Score – BR Bullpen

Sorry I can’t link (dinosaur)

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m a little behind the times and not up to speed on the formula used to calculate a pitcher’s game score.

Game score was devised by Bill James and is calculated like this.

Start with 50 points.
    Add one point for each out recorded, so three points for every complete inning pitched.
    Add two points for each inning completed after the fourth.
    Add one point for each strikeout.
    Subtract two points for each hit allowed.
    Subtract four points for each earned run allowed.
    Subtract two points for each unearned run allowed.
    Subtract one point for each walk.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Din-din today will be a couple of chicken thighs and a leg in the air fryer. Along with a couple ears of sweet corn, a Pepsi, and a piece of chocolate cake from the Deli. That will occur during the Chiefs/Colts game at Indianapolis. Along with a 7×50 Palma Real Presidente cigar.

Then after the Chiefs bash the Colts it will be time to tune in to BSMW to watch the Cards and Doyers from Doyer Stadium. Me and Whitey Herdog will be on the couch for both games. At least we will be there until the game becomes a laugher.

I am calling these games 31-14 Chiefs and 8-3 Doyers.

r/Esteemed Rat

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Thanks Bling…Subtract 2 pts. for an unearned run allowed? Somehow that doesn’t seem fair. Also, I would have thought Billy would have tossed something into the mix that would differentiate the potentially harmelss result of a simple single to the relative damage done by an Xtra base hit or a HR allowed.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Is your healthy diet making you such the optimist?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GmSc is an overview stat that plays well on forums that don’t deep dive into details.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

We’ve got to beat these guys one more time, for morale purposes and to prove that Friday wasn’t a fluke (even though I suspect it might have been). Rah Cardinals! Rah Waino!

I’m starting work on some lamb chops, brown rice and grilled tomatoes. Later I’ll try to sneak a chocolate sundae past Madame CiF.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have news for you Rat…….Indy wins today’s game vs K.C. in a shocking upset. Also, your Front Row Amy will not be in attendance today due to a nasty cold, Rat. It could cost the Crew the “W”.

Unfortunately for yours truly, our Cards game comes on during the same time period that my Packers will be throttling Brady & Co. I’ll be switching back-and-forth between the two like a raving maniac. What’s for din-din tonight one may ask? The wifey is with her mommy and sisters shopping today until around 7pm, so it’ll be a large Hungry Man turkey tv dinner with butter liberally spread amongst the meat and the potatoes. That little flimsy dessert will be tossed out along with it’s vegetable medley…. I’ll pick out the corn to eat though. Pinch hitting for the dessert will be 3 Popeye’s apple cinnamon pies covered in Kemp’s new cinnamon ice cream which is absolutely amazing. And pinch running for the discarded veggies shall be a large bowl of Popeye’s rice & beans and a bag of Cheetos. What a marvelous din-din that Cardinal In France has on tap tonight! Your’s isn’t exactly chopper liver too, Rat.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve been telling everyone this for the last couple of weeks. I hope you are finally starting to realize the gravity of this situation.

The Cardinals will clinch the division next weekend, if not sooner.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Got some nice tickets from work for the final Rockies home game of the year. Not sure what din-din will be but lunch will be a Rockie dog, loaded with mustard and relish, and a cold Coors Banquet beer.

Hopefully we win today, “we” meaning the Cardinals. But really, just one win in the two Brewers games really slants then odds towards us. One win in those two games and we only need to win 3 of the seven other games to win the division.

If you are a Brewer fan you have to feel that while it is nice to close the gap a little, it is much too late to be making any kind of serious run at a division title.

With all due respect to the Esteemed one, don’t put too much stock into his doom and gloom. He is the baseball equivalent of those headlines you see like “Man who predicted 2008 market crash says market to drop 50% in coming months.”

Fear makes attention grabbing headlines – politicians and radio talk show people use it all the time. But in this division race, the numbers don’t support the angst.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals will clinch the division next weekend, if not sooner.

That’s also my thoughts too, Scotty. But what really worries the daylights out of me, is how passionate Rat is about The Crew pulling off an amazing comeback and taking home the NL Central Divisional crown. I don’t know what has gotten into Rat, but in the 16 years I’ve know him, I have never seen him so jittery and paranoid about our chances when we are so clearly in the driver’s seat and mere inches from crossing the finish line. It’s almost as if Rat has seen a real life epiphany and knows that doom looms right around the corner for our Cards.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

As a result of Mrs. 1TD failing to wake me up from a late afternoon nap yesterday, (I suspect she does that on purpose to keep me from pestering her) I was too lazy to post a couple of baseball trivia questions on yesterday’s game thread before first pitch. So, today’s trivia will contain a bonus question for our elite squad of experts to ponder…

1. The great Albert Pujols has tatered-up against an all-time record of 455 pitchers. A total of 5 of these pitchers are members of the HOF. Which of these 5 HOF pitchers has allowed the most HR’s to Albert. A hint is that Pujols victimized him 5 times with a HR.

2. This should be a relatively easy one…Who was the winning pitcher of decision in the fabled game 6 of the 2011 WS?

3. The great Hank Aaron had a legendary 23 year Big League career in which he wore #44 on the back of his jersey for 22 of those years. Only in his rookie season of 1954 did he wear a different number. What was that number?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Haha!…I sort of know how Rats feels. I had a somewhat similar experience during the last month of the 2006 regular season when the Redbirds held a 7 game NLC lead as late as Sept. 17th, only to barely hold off a hard charging Astro team led by the scathing hot bat of Lance Berkman with a Redbird win in their last regular season game vs. MIL. During that last month, I once woke up shaking and in a cold sweat after a nightmare in which I had somehow been transformed into a Phillie’s fan…

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trevor Hoffman for Game Thread Trivia Question #1, TD?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Purely a guess for #3………#20 TD?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Pugs…Good guess, but no. Trevor Hoffman is one of the 5 HOF pitchers, but not the one who allowed the most HR’s to Albert. The #20 is also wrong. No guess on #2? Haha!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

A couple of what I thought were fun facts regarding the great Hank Aaron. He’s still the all-time leader in total bases with our own Albert placing second in that important power category, and although it no longer applies, at the time of his retirement “Hammerin’ Hank” had travelled over 12 miles farther on the base paths than any other player in Big League history…Haha! Also, if you take away all of Hank’s 755 HR’s, he would STILL have more than 3000 hits for his career! He was pretty good…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.