2022 Cardinals MLB Game 152 thread – Friday, Sept. 23 at Dodgers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 152 thread – Friday, Sept. 23 at Dodgers

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 155 total)
  • Author
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Just noticed the first Apple TV+ game tonight (Bosox v NYY) starts 7PM ET. If you’re setting up Apple TV for the first time, you can make sure it works prior the Cards’ game.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) SS
    2. Albert Pujols (R) DH
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Juan Yepez (R) LF
    6. Dylan Carlson (S) CF
    7. Lars Nootbaar (L) RF
    8. Andrew Knizner (R) C
    9. Brendan Donovan (L) 2B

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Why is the only guy who has produced runs lately batting 9th? He should’ve pinch hit two games ago and he won the game last night. He has the roster’s best OBP against lefties other than Goldy. Yeah, I want that guy batting fewer times than anybody else.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Reds plate two runs in the home half of the 1st and take a 2-0 lead on Milwaukee. They had the bases loaded and a chance to do more damage but Barrero flied out to center. The dud.

About the only chance we have to hang on rests with the Reds. They need to beat Milwaukee a couple of games this series. If they can’t beat the Brewers and we get swept by both the Dodgers and Brewers then we will only be 2.5 games up with six to go. And Milwaukee will have all the momentum.

It’s scoreboard watching time!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why is the only guy who has produced runs lately batting 9th?

I think it is to maximize Alberts PAs. Pujols can bat 2nd and Donovan-Edman can be like 1-2 after the 1st inning. Similar to how the Yankees bat Judge leading off a lot or 2nd rather than 3 or 4.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

An update on the Apple TV+ stuff I shared earlier. It worked on my Samsung TV, but I also was able to log into the Bosox/NYY game on my PC via tv.apple.com without providing credit card info. The last part is not consistent with what a couple Apple TV subscribers had told me they experienced.

For wagee12, just hit cancel when it asks if you want to start the free trial and then it’ll allow you to select their free programming.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Brewers and Reds now tied 2-2 in the 5th at Crosley Field. This game should be history by the time the Redbirds and Dodgers see the first pitch in Los Angeles. More than likely we will need a win to stay 7.5 games ahead.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, my grandson stopped by and it took him maybe 90 seconds to get the Yankees game up and running on my PC and from there cast up on my big screen TV. He says I will be able to watch the Cardinals too “as long as I don’t touch anything.” I didn’t ask any questions. I probably won’t be able to stay up that late anyway.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think at this stage, all we Cardinal fans have one burning question that begs to be answered……Bling? How did your Cordon Bleu din-din “pan” out tonight?

Concerning our recent cold bats……make that frigid bats. Our Cardinals could not have hand-picked a better time to stop hitting. The division was essentially all wrapped up, plus there really was no way we were going to catch the Mets and/or Braves anyway. So it’s great to have that team hitting slump out of the way. All teams over the course of a 162 game slate go through one. With the playoffs right around the bend, watch either the Mets, Braves or Dodgers bats go cold and make an early exit……but it won’t be our Cardinals’.

I like us to win tonight’s game 9-4, with Albert strafing a long one way up into the left field pavilion.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs I am sorry to report the Condon Bleu was not entirely successful. But I had two big pieces of just out of the oven apple pie a la mode so no need to feel sorry for me.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Exactly right, Pugs, I was thinking similar things a couple days ago. Instead of wasting unnecessary runs in September, save them for October games. It’s the smart move.

Not sure about your 9-4 prediction though. We might still be saving runs.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs are you envisioning a frozen rope or more of a moon shot.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs are you envisioning a frozen rope or more of a moon shot.

Great question, Bling. Kind of in between the two …..maybe we can call it a “frozen moon”. Double dipping into the dessert tray was also a nice move, Bling, after your Cordon Bleu disaster.

I may not perfectly hit that 9-4 score tonight, Euro Dandy……….but I’ll be close.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Pugs is on to something regarding team hitting slumps crippling a team at the wrong time during a playoff or WS. Better to get them out of the way now.

Following are some crippling Redbird team BA’s during nightmares of the past…

’85 WS team BA .185
    ’04 WS team BA .190
    ’19 NLCS team BA .130

You can look back on ’85 and blame Deninger’s call at 1B, but to me, it’s a miracle that the ’85 WS went the full 7. KC hit a pretty good .288, but a lot of those hits were banged out during the game 7 debacle. The one that really surprised me was the ’04 team. They were loaded with good hitters and won 105 regular season games, but when you hit .190, you normally get rounced in a best of 7 series. The ’19 NLCS was probably the worst hitting performance I’ve ever seen by a Redbird team in any postseason series that I’ve ever been alive to witness. To add insult to injury, I’ve never liked any team from DC.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Milwaukee leading Cincinnati 5-2 in the 8th at Crosley Field. This one is in the W column for the Brewers. Can you guys say 6.5???

It’s about to get hairy. Real hairy in the NL Central……

Oh, and the Jasper Wildcats downed the Evansville Central Bears 27-0 tonight down in Evansville.

r/Esteemed Rat

UPDATE: Reds plate a run in the last of the 8th. 5-3 Brewers as they head to the 9th.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Tonight’s game thread baseball trivia questions…

1. Dale Murphy was one of the most feared hitters and a GG OF’er in the NL during the early to mid ’80’s as witnessed by consecutive NL MVP awards in ’82 and ’83. However, a lot of people are unaware that when he first broke into the Big Leagues with the Braves in ’76, it was as a catcher. While manning up as catcher behind HP he was half the battery for a noteworthy event during the 1979 season. What was that event?

2. Name the only player to have ever hit into 4 triple plays in his career. He was a good one…

As always, if you look it up before submitting an answer, the baseball gypsies will not only conjure up evil spirits to drop spiders into your $15 Hot Dog, but your Apple TV app will go on the fritz just before Pujols taters up for #700…

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Just saw a funny clip that Delvin Perez will never live down. Yesterday he hit what he knew was a homerun. He admired it, walked about 7 steps, then did a bat flip before he went into his homerun trot. Only problem was the left fielder caught the ball on the edge of the track near the grass.

The funniest part was the left fielder had already thrown the ball in to an infielder when Perez was slow rolling it between 1B and 2B. The 3B coach had his hands on his hips and said something when Perez went by, but that didn’t seem to clue him in. He continued the trot until he got half way to home plate when he must have finally heard people from the stands and/or benches yelling at him that he was out. The announcers got a big laugh out of it. Hopefully Perez has a good sense of humor.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

FYI here……The Dodgers have announced Craig Kimbrel will no longer serve in the closer role. He almost blew the game last night when he served up a big dong to Christian Walker in the 9th. But the Dodgers bats bailed him out in the last of the 9th.

I have felt for a long time now that Kimbel AND Kenley Jansen might be weak spots for the Dodgers and Braves in the playoffs. One can only hope.

Milwaukee fails to score in the 9th. Last of the 9th, 5-3 Brewers. Devin Williams got the last out in the 8th so he remains in the game for the 9th.

Woe is us……

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

1td, I’ll go with a Niekro no-no on #1. No idea on #2.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Just saw a funny clip that Delvin Perez will never live down. Yesterday he hit what he knew was a homerun. He admired it, walked about 7 steps, then did a bat flip before he went into his homerun trot. Only problem was the left fielder caught the ball on the edge of the track near the grass.

The funniest part was the left fielder had already thrown the ball in to an infielder when Perez was slow rolling it between 1B and 2B. The 3B coach had his hands on his hips and said something when Perez went by, but that didn’t seem to clue him in. He continued the trot until he got half way to home plate when he must have finally heard people from the stands and/or benches yelling at him that he was out. The announcers got a big laugh out of it. Hopefully Perez has a good sense of humor.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know the answer to the 4 triple play question and years back actually sat around a dinner table with a group that included that player’s manager, a story I’ve told around here a couple times over the years. But I’m off to bed. Good luck.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

EuroDandy…You’re so close that I’m compelled to tell you that you have the right guy in regards to the other half of the battery. However, you have the wrong event…Haha! At any rate, Neikro worked his only no hitter in 1973, which was 3 seasons prior to Murphy’s Big League debut.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

EuroDandy…I was actually going to give a hint to #1. The hint was that I was reasonably certain that Murphy put in a tough day’s work behind HP that day…Anyway, you got the right guy. Think timeline and pitching plateaus and you should be able to nail it. At first glance at your answer I saw the name Neikro and I thought you did…Haha!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no idea as to question #1. But I do know #2. With TD’s blessings, I’ll give a slight hint……his initials are BR.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Haha…Perez has no where to hide! That was a good one.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 155 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.