2022 Cardinals MLB Game 151 thread – Thursday, Sept. 22 at Padres

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 151 thread – Thursday, Sept. 22 at Padres

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

3:10 p.m.
    RHP Jack Flaherty (0-1, 5.09) vs. RHP Joe Musgrove
    BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSE and BSSW+

TNRoberson2013
    Participant

Free

Just posting to move this up. Don’t want Ratsbuddy to have to look too far down the list to post his doomsday message of the day!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

At this point, if the Cardinals are at all concerned with the welfare and best interest of Paul DeJong, they’d pay him what he’s owed and release him. Placing him in the line-up only serves to entirely crush whatever spirit he has left. To continue to march him into the batter’s box is not at all unlike giving him a cigarette and a blindfold and lining him up to face a firing squad. It’s abusive. I’m aware that an extra middle IF’er is needed on the 26 man in the event of injury during the post-season, but someone, anyone, in the Redbird affiliate system has to be a better fail safe than Paul Dejong at this juncture. Give him is money, let him go, and chances are he’ll get his chance to latch on somewhere else next season. It’s the humane thing to do.

wagee12
    Participant

Totally agree with the above post concerning DeJug. He heeds to go sooner rather than later. On another note, over the last two games, Harrison Bader is 3 for 8 with five rbi for Yankees. That’s more hits and rbi than the entire Cardinals outfield. His batting average is .260 or higher than all the outfielders except for maybe Dickerson.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m in agreement with you, TD. Dejong is toast and everyone knows it. He was wise to take the contract when he could…he’s a bright guy and is now set for life with a good future if he manages it wisely. Either a trade or a release seems inevitable this winter.

TNRoberson2013
    Participant

Free

But Bader has been on a break for several months. That he means he is well rested and should be hitting well. The Cards will come out of their funk and put together a little run. They will go as far as they are supposed to – hopefully that will be there next WS Championship. If not, there is always next year!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Lead is now down to 7.5. Brewers are in Cincinnati starting tonight for a four game series. As poor as the Redbirds are playing it’s pretty much a given that it will be 6.5 games after tonight. And then it’s off to Dodger Stadium and you know what that means. There is a VERY GOOD CHANCE that by close of business this weekend in Los Angeles our lead might only be 3.5 games.

Din-din today is the weekly trip to the Gasthof, the Amish restaurant. I delayed this one day so I could mow yesterday during the 90 degree plus weather. Thought it might be the last time we see 90 degrees until around next June. Fried chicken, fish, mashed potatoes/gravy, noodles, green beans, dressing, sweet tea, and some chocolate soft serve ice cream. Yum yum..:)

r/Esteemed Rat

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Carter, I think it was around that same time late in the 1964 season rumors about Leo Durocher being the next Manager

That’s right, but Leo had a partner in coup…Branch Ricky. Their plan of course was to replace Johnny and Bing after the ’64 season. Gussie was exited! He knew of the popularity of those two ex-Cardinal notables and the positive fan reaction.

But the team put a massive wrench in the plan…

The “big steal” Brolio/Brock trade was preceded by the Groat/Julio Gotay trade that was WAY more of a head scratcher. Brolio was a 20 game winner. What was Gotay to justify the Pirates moving a gold glove Batting Champion, League MVP player with a WS ring?
    more later…

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

1td, very good post on PDJ. Most people who played a sport at the collegiate or high school level have come up with a big fail or two somewhere along the way, e.g., big strikeout, big missed free throw, or whatever. It makes you feel awful you didn’t come through for the team. Now imagine how that feels at the highest professional level, rather than some mere extracurricular activity. Add to that your impact on the highest money stakes imaginable for your teammates, and have all that go on regularly for multiple years. It has to play with a guy’s mind. You can see it in PDJ’s body language after each strikeout. The guy is a millionaire, but he’s a human millionaire, and Oli shouldn’t put him in those positions. By now, you should know who PDJ is.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Mikolas and Wainwright have now worked 193.1 and 184.0 IP respectively and both stand a decent chance to reach the 200 IP plateau this season, which in reality seems to be the gold standard in regards to a workload benchmark for starting pitchers today. To put that in perspective, 1974 NL CYA winner Mike Marshall worked 208.1 IP for the Dodgers that season. Marshall didn’t start a solitary game. Incidentally, our own Al Hrabosky placed 5th in the CYA voting in ’74.

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

For those that turned in and missed the exchange between me and S.L.Card 25 in last night’s GDT

Card 25…Sorry to inform you that I stopped reading your diatribe after the 1st paragraph as I suddenly remembered you from old disputes back in the Scout days of this forum.
    I don’t remember the exact issues but I remember thinking that you must be an intractable, hard headed, neo right wing jerk and forthwith will scroll past your posts as I would step over a puddle.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

EuroDandy…It’s like I said in the comment. It’s genuine abuse. At this point, I genuinely feel incredibly sorry for the guy. Marmol’s hurting both DeJong and the team by inserting him into the line-up. Pay and release the poor guy and scour the affiliates for a stop-gap middle IF’er for the post-season.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Haha…Regarding pitcher workload in a season, if you ever want to be entertained, go to a site like baseball reference and check out the record holders for IP in a season. The all-time top 10 all have over 600 IP. Of course, all of the photos are in black and white and about half of them look as though these guys changed into their baseball jerseys straight out of the Civil War uniforms they wore at Gettysburg and Antietam…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oliver
    Participant

Free

If they still had Sosa and he was healthy which he is not currently I would see PDJ released. I don’t see who would be the backup for Edman at ss

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Donovan or Perez

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I don’t at all mind seeing Nootz in CF. The gloves are fine, the fellas just need to locate the bats.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Perez has the glove I rather see him there than Donovan but I doubt they would bring him up

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Can’t the Cardinals release DeJong and replace him with a middle IF’er from one of the affiliates? If they can’t, I’m sure they can fake an injury and do so.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Masyn Winn or Delvin Perez couldn’t be much worse than Dejong. Of course that would require some roster moves.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Today’s baseball trivia questions…

1. Three players were tied for most hits on the Cardinal world champion team during the 7 game 1982 World Series. All three guys ended that series with 9 hits. Two of them were Lonnie Smith and George Hendrick. Who was the other Redbird who had 9 hits?

2. Most are aware that the 1971 Baltimore Orioles had 4 starting pitchers who won 20 games or more that season on a pitching staff that was at that time a 4 man rotation. Who was the former Cardinal that was a member of that storied Oriole starting rotation?

As always, if you look it up before submitting an answer, the baseball gypsies will conjure up an evil spirit to drop spiders in your $15 hot dog…I was going to say the Redbirds may never score another run, but that would be too harsh…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

stlCard25…At this juncture, I don’t think you can do worse than poor DeJong. There’s always the chance that a young guy could get the yips with the glove during a high stakes post-season game, but you can’t do any worse than DeJong in the batter’s box. Adversely, there’s always the chance that a young guy could emerge as a positive addition. Not everyone gets picked off of 1B during a WS game with the tying run standing in the box…

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Poor Wong he will never live that down.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

My guesses to the questions:

1. McGee (probably wrong because it seems too obvious)
    2. Dobson

Oliver
    Participant

Free

1. Porter
    2. No clue

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 133 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years