2022 Cardinals MLB Game 150 thread – Wednesday, Sept. 21 at Padres

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 150 thread – Wednesday, Sept. 21 at Padres

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Milwaukee with a 2-0 lead over the Mets in the bottom of the 7th at Miller Park. Mets have no chance to come back in this one. We will need a win tonight to stay 8.5 games ahead. And as bad as Mikolas has been lately it’s a given that the lead shrinks to 7.5 after tonight.

It’s going to be tough to hang on…….

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

This one is history. Milwaukee now leads the Mets 6-0 after seven innings. 8.5 or 7.5 after tonight. Unless Mikolas eats some spinach for his late lunch today we will come up woefully short in this one just like we did last night.

I tell you folks, this NL Central race is going to the wire……..

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

EuroDandy…WINNER! You aced that one, Euro. Jim Thome is the only player to have hit 600 or more HR’s and never be awared a league MVP. However, he was justifiably inducted into the HOF in 2018. Of the 9 guys to have reached the 600 HR plateau, only 5 have yet to be named members of Cooperstown. Those 5 are Aaron, Ruth, Mays, Griffey Jr. and Thome. The remaining 4 who are hoping to one day enter Cooperstown are Bonds, Rodriguez, Sosa, and the Great Albert Pujols. Pujols has a decent chance…

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Out of those 4 Albert is the only one that should be in the HOF.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good luck tonight, but a starter with a losing record is cause for concern.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m totally and unequivocally onboard with GameCard in signing Fast Eddie to a lucrative long term deal.

Simply marvelous “The In-Laws” reference, Euro Dandy…….and oh so fitting. I know back in the day I serpentined my way out of a bar or two. “The In-laws” and “The Couch Trip” were two unheralded, but enormously humorous films from that era.

What’s for din-din tonight one may ask? Stepping up to the plate will be wild shrimp cocktail, Red Snapper, wild rice, asparagus spears, deviled eggs and 3 Popeye’s apple cinnamon pies with Breyer’s vanilla on top.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

EuroDandy…I’m a little surprised that someone didn’t nail the first question before you correctly answered the second one. The trade of Youngblood that made possible the one of a kind feat was made on August 4, 1982 at a time when the Redbirds were hotly contesting the Mike Schmidt/Pete Rose led Phillies for honors as winners of the old NLE. I remember listening to the Cardinal game that night on KMOX and hearing Jack Buck relate the new of the trade and Youngblood’s feat during the course of the game broadcast. I would have mentioned the two teams that Youngblood got the two singles against, but that would give away the answer concerning the two HOF pitchers. You guys are too good and I’m running low on oven mitts…

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Okay, here’s a trivia question for you.

Who is the player credited with inventing Spring Training?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Ratsbuddy…Don’t know the name of any particular player, but I do know that the first ST’ings were held in Hot Springs, Arkansas. If I recall correctly, a lot of the players from back in those days would make the trip down to Hot Springs to recuperate and take in, “The Waters” after a long winter of carousing. I’ll take a wild guess and say it was Ruth?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

1td, I remember the hits with different teams/same day feat, but I have no recollection at all of the other teams and pitchers involved. Couldn’t even make a respectable guess. Also have no idea on Rat’s question.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Well, you might guess that Youngblood was involved in a day game in order to have the time it would have taken to travel to the destination of the team he was traded to and get another hit. That day game should provide a clue…

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I think the day game/location does kind of give a way the name of one of the pitchers if he had returned by then. I won’t say in case somebody else knows both.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Don’t know if anyone read it, but “so cal card fan” submitted a post with a link to an article about Pujols’ first professional game with the AA Peoria Chiefs. It’s a good read. I wasn’t at all aware that his manager for that team was none other than Tommy “Bad Flip” Lawless. There’s also info on his first hit and HR as a professional. I won’t name the guy, but his first hit was off a pitcher who had a pretty good Big League career himself. I’d recommend clicking on to the link.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

EuroDandy…I almost forgot. Great “Serpentine” clip…Haha! I always liked both those guys. Arkin was cast perfectly as Yossarian in Catch-22.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Waiting to see if I guessed correctly concerning Ratsbuddy’s trivia question…I’m thinking I may win either one of those fancy cigars, or maybe even an all expense paid trip to some tropical island hideaway with Front Row Amy…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    2. Dylan Carlson (S) CF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Albert Pujols (R) DH
    6. Juan Yepez (R) RF
    7. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    8. Andrew Knizner (R) C
    9. Corey Dickerson (L) LF

bccran
    Participant

Boss Tweed with the New York Mutuals “invented” Spring Training. They trained in New Orleans. When ST became popular, owners started sending their teams to Hot Springs.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I never like seeing a lineup with DeJong in it. Always gives me cause for concern, although he does play solid defense at a premium spot. But with our hitting woes of late, we don’t need another automatic out in the order.

If this is a typical Mikolas start, we will lose close and low scoring, along the lines of 3-2. Rat will then declare the Brewers as the likely Central champs.

Speaking of Rat, who did invent Spring Traning anyway? I will go with John McGraw.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Dejong will likely start at SS most of the time against a lefty.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cap Anson is credited with inventing Spring Training.

And I hope Yepez doesn’t kill us with his defense in RF. Any ball hit to him is an adventure. Fingers are crossed. Brewers won today so the downhill slide has begun.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just hope Mikolas doesn’t put us behind right off the bat.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Rats…Hmmm, Cap Anson was the catalyst for the ST concept. Another thing I find interesting about Anson, is that he collected 2075 RBI’s and is in 5th place of the top 5 all time RBI leaders. The other 4 all time RBI leaders are Aaron, Ruth, Pujols and Rodriguez in that order who hit 755, 714, 698 and 696 HR’s respectively. Cap hit a grand total of 97 taters…Haha!

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Cards little known 1964 coup fiasco

The team was strong: Flood, Brock and Shannon OF
    Returning ’63 All Star infield of White, Boyer, Groat and Javier

2 starting aces: Sadecki and Gibson with crafty Curt Simmons

Solid McCarver Catch and 2 dangerous pinch hitters in Tito Francona and Ed Spezio

However we were languishing in 4th place @the All star break

Gussie was a hands on owner and a team incident was hidden from him that, once he learned of it, enraged him. Word of it got out around the league and…

Does anyone know what that incident was?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

LeGrand…Not that I have any idea as to the answer, but did the incident occur in the clubhouse or dugout, or possibly in an establishment other than a baseball venue?

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Dom…it was a clubhouse confrontation that could shake up any team

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.