2022 Cardinals MLB Game 147 thread – Saturday, Sept. 17 vs. Reds Game 2

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 147 thread – Saturday, Sept. 17 vs. Reds Game 2

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:15 p.m.
    LHP José Quintana or RHP Dakota Hudson vs. LHP Mike Minor or RHP Hunter Greene
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSO and BSSW+

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

It’s Quintana and Greene in this one. I wonder if Pujols will be in the lineup for this one against the tough righty?

Winning the first game ensures we will be no worse than 7 games up after close of business tonight. The Yankees need to help us out as we are falling fast. We are going to need some help. The Reds announcers in the first game today even talked about the tough upcoming west coast road trip the Redbirds have left.

r/Esteemed Rat

1982 willie
    Participant

I doubt pujols starts but you never know

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rat, even though our attempt at a 20 game win streak was a pitiful debacle, I do not think we are circling the drain. I do agree that it does matter how many league stats we are leading since that reflects what has been and we care only about what is and what will be. How we play from now until the end of the regular season is more predictive than whatever stats we put up so far.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would like to see ‘bert in the lineup and put 699 into big mac land.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Brendan Donovan (L) SS
    2. Tommy Edman (S) 1B
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) DH
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Corey Dickerson (L) LF
    6. Alec Burleson (L) RF
    7. Lars Nootbaar (L) CF
    8. Nolan Gorman (L) 2B
    9. Andrew Knizner (R) C

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

With the 5-1 W in the first game of today’s double-header, the Cardinals have now won more home games (50) than anyone in the NL, and if they win today’s second game they’ll have 51 W’s at home which will be more home W’s than any other ballclub in the entire Big Leagues. I’d say the Redbirds enjoy playing the game of baseball while upwards of 45,000 lunatic fans are pulling for their favorite team.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

In addition to posting a nice and skinny 2.93 ERA since being fitted for a Cardinal uniform, the Redbirds are 7-1 in games in which Jose Quintana takes his turn. The Cardinal’s W/L record is an identical 7-1 in games started by Jordan Montgomery. Not too bad to go 14-2 in games started by two pitchers who until August 2nd worked for different teams.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

din din tonight will be at an Italian restaurant. I think I will have meatballs and salami with a side of taters.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Mr. Carter LeGrand posted a real good baseball brain teaser on today’s game 1 thread that got me thinking about a conversation I once had with a fellow fan and good friend in which I stated that a shutout was always superior to a no hitter…He countered that I was crazy and proclaimed there was no way that a shutout was better than a no-no. I said, “If you want to be guaranteed a win it is”…He then immediately told the bartender to cancel that beer he’d just bought me…

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m doing the din-din Italiano just like Bling tonight. I’m having a meatball sub with tons of mozzarella on top, antipasto salad, olive salad, garlic bread and instead of Wild Turkey, I’m opting for some red vino. Let’s sweep this twin bill shall we?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Still can’t believe that a mortal human being made the play at 3B for the out at HP that Nado made last night. Someone needs to check his DNA…

PadsFS
    Participant

Perfect game to sit Albert with the hard throwing rookie in for Cincinnati.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I neglected to report my din-din before the first game, but I’m sure it was largely responsible for the tidy 5-1 victory: Cantaloupe melon followed by butternut soup and then vegetable turnovers and ending with vanilla ice cream sprinkled with raspberries. And I have a warm fuzzy feeling about game two as I head off to bed.

Rah Cardinals!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

PadsFS…Yep, and I can’t think of anyone I’d rather have looming to PH off the bench.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

bling’s lineup scared me a little. Edman should not be on 1B! Something didn’t copy over correctly I suppose.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Since I don’t see a “question of the game” yet, I’ll throw one (or two) out.

1. Who is the only MLB player to hit 2 grand slams in one inning? This should be a layup for most of us. But to get full credit, you also must name the pitcher victimized on the first slam AND also name the pitcher for the 2nd slam.

2. Somewhat related to the first question, who is the only MLB pitcher to hit two grand slams in the same game. As a connection to tonight’s game, the pitcher finished his career with his last two teams being the Reds and Cards. However, he hit the two slams while playing for the Braves.

Edit to add: Let me emphasize like Carter and 1td, no cheating! No consulting almanacs, internet, etc. I think the penalty was you might end up in hell or something really bad like that.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

With first pitch and the first inning in the books, a couple of baseball trivia questions for our distinguised panel of elite experts to contemplate during the game…

1. Although he never played for a New York team, which player hit 86 HR’s in New York?

2. What pitcher worked 14 consecutive innings without allowing an ER in All-Star game competition?

No hint for the first one as it should be an easy one for this elite squad. For the second one, it’s not too difficult if you think of the 60’s.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

EuroDandy…Haha! I know half of the first one, but have no idea who was on the mound for either one of the GS’s, so I won’t even attempt an answer. Is Smoltz the answer to the second question?

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Euro Dandy

1. Is Fernando Tatis Sr. Off Chan Ho Park and Chan Ho Park

2. I thought 2 was John Smoltz, but he didn’t play for the Reds.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Cards667…I think you may be right on the first one! I guessed Smoltz on the second one too. I can’t think of anyone else but him.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

EuroDandy…Are you sure you didn’t mean the last two teams he played for were the Cardinals and Red Sox?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards667 is correct on #1, all parts

#2 is not Smoltz. The correct answer is not an extremely well known pitcher really, so it might be unlikely anybody gets the answer. I heard about it on TV when I was young because it’s so unlikely. He did it during the first year after the Braves moved to Atlanta, so in the 60s. He also pitched for the Reds when the Big Red machine got rolling. He lost game 3 of the 1970 World Series (which we were talking about regarding the Robinson question in the first game of the double header today).

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

EuroDandy…I think you gave it away…Clay Carroll?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Not Carroll. This guy was a starter for most of his career.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 142 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.