2022 Cardinals MLB Game 138 thread – Thursday, Sept. 8 vs Nats

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 138 thread – Thursday, Sept. 8 vs Nats

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

12:15 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (10-9, 3.21) vs. RHP Josiah Gray (7-9, 4.91)
    BSM // MLB Network (out of market) // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSO and BSSW+

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

We missed a chance to go up 9.5 games on Milwaukee last night. We can’t keep blowing chances like this. Soon the Brewers will be right back on our heels. This team better right the ship immediately.

And they can do that by doing two things. Get Nudie Bar out of the leadoff spot. When was the last time he got a hit? And they need to quit playing Gorman at 2ndbase.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

EUREKA!

I knew if I had them beat they would come back! My plan worked to perfection!

Bring on those Nationals tomorrow!

r/Esteemed Rat<~~~~~~Genius

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Three more W’s without a loss and the the Redbirds are at .600 baseball.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

With the Brewers faltering, it looks like the first round will be the Phillies or Padres with all 3 at home. I keep going back and forth with who I would prefer, any preferences?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Burleson probably starts today? Nootbaar has been ice cold of late and could probably use a day off. Seems like he’s been selling out for power a bit.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the Brewers faltering, it looks like the first round will be the Phillies or Padres with all 3 at home. I keep going back and forth with who I would prefer, any preferences?

The Phillies have better starting pitching, so I’d lean toward the Padres. I think we beat either team, though.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I think we will see Burleson in LF & Albert DH.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Agree GameCard, with the Waino/Yadi history being made today and unless a small miracle happens, they are almost a lock for the 3 spot. And it’s not like he has been hitting RHP horribly lately.

Burleson (if he gets to start) will have a heck of a story for the grandkids! Especially if Albert ties Aroid today too.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Can Yepez play SS? I’d love to see him back, but there isn’t really anyone to send down other than DeJong.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This seems like a game where Albert would play 1B and let Goldy DH. Donovan hasn’t played much in the OF of late but how about a lineup of:

RF Donovan
    LF Burleson
    DH Goldy
    3B Arenado
    CF O’Neill
    1B Pujols
    2B Gorman
    C Yadi
    SS Edman

I’d expect they might bump up Edman since he’s been hitting well and go with Burleson at the bottom for his debut but who knows? Maybe Deluzio gets a start.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Why play Albert against the RH starter? Gray’s splits are such that the Cards should load the lineup with LHH.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

DeJong going down is no longer a viable possibility. He has passed the five-year service time threshold and cannot be sent down without his consent. And if optioned, he would have the right to declare free agency instead.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why play Albert against the RH starter?

The Pirates have no lefties scheduled this weekend so Albert would probably get some time off. The home crowd, Waino and Yadi going, day before heading on the road seems a good time to give Albert a start and Goldy a break. Alternately, you could start Dickerson in LF and Burleson in RF. Donovan at 1B?

I’m not sure, but I feel like Nootbaar needs a day off for sure. At this point the division is pretty much wrapped up and the chances to catch up to the #2 seed are very low. Give the fans a chance to see what they all want, IMO.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I admit that I am old-fashioned in that I want the lineup with the best chance to win every day. They need to win the series. Splitting with the Nats at home isn’t good enough.

Gray vs. RHH: .742 OPS
    Gray vs. LHH: .916 OPS

I haven’t looked at the LH/RH splits of the three Pirates starters, but perhaps one or more of them is easier on RHH. IF so, that would be the best spot to start Albert over the weekend.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Based on those splits, I’m feeling more confident Burleson will be in the lineup today.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Contreras is .733 vs RHB, .679 vs LHB

Brubaker is .726 vs RHB, .782 vs LHB

Keller is .736 vs RHB, .774 vs LHB

Contreras would probably make most sense of the Pirate starters.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Albert doesn’t start today I think Danny Mac might submit his resignation.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looking a little forward into the future…Lauer started last night and the Brewers have 5 games in the next four days. They could go with Lauer on short rest Sunday. More likely they go with someone else (Ashby should be eligible to return from the DL soon) so Lauer would be in line to start game 1 of the two game set vs St Louis next week. Burnes would start the other game.

Following that we play Cincy for 5 games. The poor Reds are on a bender right now…they play games in 13 straight days, including doubleheaders vs Pittsburgh and at St Louis. Their rotation is just about anyone’s guess but they have two lefties in their regular rotation so you’d assume they’ll start them in a 5 game set.

Next up is three games at San Diego, who have two lefties in their regular rotation. The Dodgers follow for three, and they have four lefties in their rotation. You have to think the Cards hit at least three, maybe four lefties in that 6 game stretch. Several of them are tough pitchers who have minimal splits, though.

The closing stretch features two at Milwaukee, who has 1 or possibly 2 lefties. Then come 6 against the Pirates, who have no lefty starters. If the division is sealed up and the #2 seed is out of reach, you’d expect Albert to play plenty then, especially the three at Busch.

Anyway, the Cards could face as few as 4 lefties or as many as 10 lefty starters coming up. Albert will probably start against all of them, and maybe even the last 6 games. Could Albert hit 5 deep ones in 16 starts? How about 10? You’d figure that gives him 40-70 PA to do the damage, so we will see how it plays out.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Obviously I’m happy that Molina got the start last night as he continued to display a return to form with his clutch 2 out RBI base hit in the 9th that extended the inning to Eddie’s game winner. But knowing he’d undoubtedly be the receiving end of the battery with Wainwright taking his turn in today’s early afternoon game, I’m surprised he was even in there to contribute to last night’s monumental 9th inning. I’m sure the old battle hardened veteran catcher will be okay though. He’s shown me for 19 years that he’s tougher than a 16 penny nail.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Albert at DH, Donovan replaces Gorman at the keystone, Burleson with his first career start in RF.

https://twitter.com/jmjones/status/1567891044687138819

Oliver
    Participant

Free

What to do with Mr. DeJong…will he be in the post season roster…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

stlcard25…Going by the number of PA’s he’s averaged for the season, Albert’s due for 52 more appearances in the batter’s box. But as you pointed out, there’s a genuine possiblility that several games at the end of the regular season could be meaningless. If that ends up indeed being the case, Marmol will undoubtedly force the action and Albert could very well be in the starting lineup every day and accumulate even more PA’s than the well thought out 50-70 spread that you indicated. In any event, it’ll be fun to see what happens.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

And if optioned, he would have the right to declare free agency instead

And forfeit $9 million next season if he chose to do so.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I said if Albert was going to play it should have been last night and not today against Gray. But I hope work stays slow for me so I can watch Burleson’s debut even I’d it is on my phone. Good thing about that is I can’t have the volume on while at work so I don’t have to listen to Dan and Brad.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years