2021 Cardinals MLB Game 95 thread – Tuesday, July 20 vs. Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 95 thread – Tuesday, July 20 vs. Cubs

Viewing 7 posts - 101 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Someone mentioned it above, but something has to change, the walks are just brutal as was the loss last night. Maddux needs to figure out SOON if it’s the mechanics or the mental that is causing all the walks. As much as it pained me that he did not also implode, it was almost fun watching Kimbrel throw strikes.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I feel bad for Oviedo. He deserved to get his first win.

The Chubs first run was scored by a guy he HBP. Off with his head and the rest of the walkaholics.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Bike Mike I lost my signal in the 9th so I’m glad I didn’t see the very end. Somebody spared me the angst I guess. You touched on a key point. Reyes had the saves but has been barely pulling it out. Yes his stats will show he has been walking alot of people and giving up some hits. Talented for sure but yes him and Cabrerra both have control issues.Throwing hards good but its better if can control where its going
    Reminds me of Rosenthall – never knew what you were gonna get.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Did Shildt just not get anyone else up?

No. They scrambled/rushed Gallegos up and in after it was too late. Also, DeJong and Yadi get honorable mention as contributors to the meltdown. Yadi didn’t move to block the pitch that was strike 3 to Wisdom and DeJong threw the ball past Goldy on what should’ve been another out, but for some reason was scored a hit. Garcia should’ve had the first two guys out, but instead he walks the next batter for a bases loaded, no outs situation. That’s when Reyes came in. It felt like Shildt was hypnotized, like watching a slow motion train wreck where you know you need to move into action, but you can’t stop watching the wreck.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hate to say but Yadi has looked bad several times as far as balls getting past him.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I hate to say but Yadi has looked bad several times as far as balls getting past him.

Yep, I wasn’t watching too much until the last few weeks, but he looks anchored behind the plate on too many pitches. It’s like he’s caught off guard that he might need to block a pitch. Reminds me of football players who take occasional plays off. They need to pace themselves when their energy isn’t what it used to be. Also, I’ve noticed on his ground outs where he’s usually thrown out by 10 steps, it now looks more like 15 steps.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Thanks guys – sounds like a team effort loss, although as it usually happens pitching is the single most important aspect of the game.

I keep saying this, usually specific to Hicks, but when guys are struggling with control do they ever back off just a bit? It just seems like if you are throwing near your top speed but the ball is sailing or your release is off, back it off to mid-to-low 90s on a couple of pitches and see if that helps the location. Maybe guys so this and we just don’t know. The problem in doing that today is that gun is going to show a lower speed, and the coaches will freak out thinking the guy is hurt.

But backing off some, even if a ball is crushed by the hitter it might be an “at ‘em” ball.

Viewing 7 posts - 101 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years