2021 Cardinals MLB Game 41 thread – Sunday, May 16 at Padres

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 41 thread – Sunday, May 16 at Padres

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

4:08 p.m.
    LHP Kwang Hyun Kim (1-0, 2.74) vs. TBA
    ESPN // ESPN Radio // KMOX

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe we can get to TBA early I heard he stinks.

Takeaway from last night, we have way more mop up guys than we need. Not that it would have mattered last night, but we have zero off the bench.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Was hoping we could at least split these 6 road games, and it will take a win today to do that.

Thankfully I did not watch last night. Saw the recap this morning though. I guess since Carpenter hits like a pitcher, they figure they might as well let him pitch some.

That is where the game becomes a joke to me. Far worse than any of the rules modifications – when you have 13 or 14 pitchers on the roster and yet you bring in a position player to pitch. Anyone on the roster should be able to pitch at least 3 innings when you need it. But then with no DH, you have the automatic pinch-hit time come around every 9 ABs.

But again, at this stage of his career poor Matt Carpenter is really struggling. I feel for the guy. He has to be thinking, “Man. I was so good at one time” and now wonders where it all went.

Anyway, gotta put that one behind you and go out and get ‘em today.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Word on the street is that Carp is moving to the closer role.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who remembers when yesterday’s starter charted pitches today? I wonder if the younger ones learned anything from that?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carpenter has been shifted on all but one PA this season. He has bunted twice for hits. Six of his balls in play of 63 AB’s have gone to the opposite field, less than 10%. It’s his turn to adjust and he hasn’t for going on three years. No sympathy here.

When the 3Bman is playing SS, there is a bunt hit waiting to happen. Maybe he’s too proud, or stubborn, who knows, but the D would eventually come out of the shift if he’d use the 3B line on bunts and slapping the ball. His failure is self-inflicted by continuing to hit the ball out front to the pull side into the shift. Even the PBO has called out publicly Carps lack of willingness to adjust. His own fault.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

During kinder gentler times, they would have “Ladies Day”s at the ol’ ballparks. They were wonderful. They could gain admission for no charge, or no worse than half price. They would come to the games in droves, beautifully attired with powdered noses and many wearing classy hats. Often they were met at the turnstiles by a smiling ticket taker with red rose in hand. Once inside, fellow patrons would tip their own hats while clearly uttering the words “Good afternoon, Ma’am” as they crossed paths with each other. Even the stadium PA announcer would acknowledge their presence with kind words. I guess as close as we’ll get to those blessed times in this era is tonight’s Cards-Pads game where it’ll be Kim vs Kim in a few at bats.

bccran
    Participant

Great memories, Pugs. Maybe the Cardinals should revisit some of the old traditions.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The only good thing about yesterday was that both the Cubs and Brewers lost. The Reds won in 11 innings in Colorado and the Pirates came from behind to beat the Giants. If we lose again tonight and get swept by the Padres we have the good fortune to have the Pirates coming to Busch for a couple of games before the Cubs come to town.

We need about six solid innings from Kim tonight.

Din-din today is a ribeye steak in the air fryer, some jumbo crinkle-cut french fries, some chocolate milk, and a piece of chocolate cake. Starting Tuesday I have to go on a diet and do some jogging and exercising. At the doc’s office the other day I weighed in at 274 pounds and that simply isnt good.

r/Esteemed Rat

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good luck Rat. It was a doc’s office visit that ended culinary bliss for me as well. Basically, if it tastes good, spit it out. At least you have your stogies.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the good half (1/3 if you are splitting hairs) of our pen should be rested. I had posted something nice about Adam and he promptly combusted, so I’ve got nothing nice to say about Kim.

Maybe a miracle will happen and Sosa will get a start. Maybe if TBA is a lefty that would help.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shoot for 300, Rat! You’ve come this far. Besides, I’ll terribly miss your din-din/dessert arrangements if you start eating like a rabbit every day. Winter off seasons are for healthy eating…..not now.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What do you know, it is a lefty, Ryan Weathers, maybe we will see Sosa.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

yep, Sosa gets a start

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bling got his man. Now Sosa is almost guaranteed to sparkle. Good show, Bling.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    2. Dylan Carlson (S) RF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    7. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    8. Edmundo Sosa (R) SS
    9. Kwang Hyun Kim (L) P

1. Trent Grisham (L) CF
    2. Manny Machado (R) 3B
    3. Jake Cronenworth (L) 1B
    4. Tommy Pham (R) LF
    5. Austin Nola (R) C
    6. Tucupita Marcano (L) 2B
    7. Ha-Seong Kim (R) SS
    8. Patrick Kivlehan (R) RF
    9. Ryan Weathers (R) P

Gametime Temp: 72°F
    Chance of Precip: 45%

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Two observations.

I didn’t know there was ever a 45% of rain in San Diego.

I see Shildt has placed Sosa in Bader’s normal 8 slot. Not surprised. Shildt is beginning to remind me of TRL is a certain respect.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Speaking of eating like a rabbit, Rat, why doncha try eating rabbit. It’s pretty healthy and tastes quite good, too, depending on how you cook it. They’re relatively easy to shoot, if you’re of an Elmer Fudd mind.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is likely our best defensive lineup. I hope Sosa continues to get chances to play, and keep Carpenter on the bench.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t trust Rat with a firearm of any sort, Cardinal in France. He’ll accidentally plug that little pooch of his, trying to shoot like Mannix does, and never forgive you.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have quite a rabbit story, but for another time. When does this game start?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just about game time. I experienced a most rare predictorial loss last night. It won’t happen again for awhile. Quite simply, no way St. Louis losses this game. I’ll call it 6-3 Birds with Dylan Carlson finding the cheap seats with bat in hand.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of Carlson, I looked at his batting splits and his May OBP is 15 pts higher than April. SLG is way down. My take is he adjusted his approach to his new top of the order slot. Impressive if that is the case.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Notice they decided not to walk Bader and set up a force out to end the inning at any base. Fear of Sosa looming in the on deck circle is the only explanation.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kim pitch count 26 after 2.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years