2021 Cardinals MLB Game 24 thread – Wednesday, April 28 vs Phillies

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 24 thread – Wednesday, April 28 vs Phillies

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 155 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:45 p.m.
    RHP Vince Velasquez (0-6, 6.75) vs RHP Johan Oviedo (0-0, 0.00)
    BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas

Participant

Ya gotta love this match-up. Since Apr 20th the Card’s starters have been awesome. I’m very much hopeful that Johan gets his feet wet with a great start. I’ve been waiting a long time for this day!.

Participant

Free

New to this forum will give it a chance. Halfway to starting my own forum but hopefully this is a decent place to talk Cardinal baseball. Pretty sure I remember the name Walton and not for good reasons but hey willing to give it a chance.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Welcome, Joelpete. This is indeed a good place to talk baseball. Good info flowing through, especially when the minors season starts.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Not sure how but the Reds eeked out another win at Dodger Stadium last night. 6-5 was the unhappy final. A two out two run double by Votto in the top of the 7th was the big blow. I was hoping the Reds would lose all three but the Dodgers just dont look like the same team right now. Having Bellinger on the IL isnt helping either. They have an afternoon game today at Chavez Ravine which should probably conclude about the time the Cards game starts. Hopefully the Dodgers show up for this one. Betts and Muncie look lost at the plate.

Looking forward to tonight’s game. Me and Whitey Herdog will once again be on the couch with a big cigar, tuning in. Anxious to see if Oviedo can repeat his first outing and give the Redbirds a quality start tonight.

Oh, and on a good note, the Cubs have lost the first two games in Atlanta.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Do we know what the roster move is yet?

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Kershaw looks pretty good the first couple of innings. Maybe the Dodgers can get a win over the Reds and avoid the sweep. And here’s to hoping the Braves can sweep the Cubs tonight in Atlanta. We could pick up a game on both, perhaps.

And the late din-din today will be a ribeye steak in the air fryer, baked potato, chocolate milk, a piece of strawberry cake with plenty of strawberry glaze, and then a bowl of homemade ice cream. Then a cigar as me and Whitey Herdog finish watching the Reds/Dodgers game.

We will also be tuned in tonight, on the couch, with another cigar or two, for the Phillies/Cards game. Looking forward to see how Oviedo does in this one.

Somebody said there might be rain in the St. Louis area. Any word from anybody on that?

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Somebody said there might be rain in the St. Louis area. Any word from anybody on that?

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Adding my welcome to joelpete. We have a good spectrum of Cardinals talk here JP, and have some light-hearted fun at times as well. Hopefully you will enjoy kicking in your thoughts, and joining in with the banter when you have the time.

The Cardinals give us a lot to talk about – with the rich history, the ups and downs of recent times, and the successes and failures of ownership’s drive to field competitive clubs, there is enough fodder for most anyone interested in the Cardinal ball club.

The rules of conduct are posted in a thread at the top of the board.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Welcome Joelpete. Here’s to hoping we all enjoy Oviedo’s first start this season.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman 2B
    Carlson CF
    Goldschmidt 1B
    Arenado 3B
    DeJong SS
    O’Neill LF
    Williams RF
    Knizner C
    Oviedo P

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

No Sosa…., but no Carpenter. I’ll take it. I’m glad they have the “A” defence in for a rookie on the mound.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hurst was sent to alt site to make room, as predicted by Uncle D.

Participant

Paid - Annual

No leadoff 3 run homers in that Reds-Dodgers game, Rat? I love our Birds in tonight’s game……and I still would have loved them to prevail even if Nola was toeing the rubber in this game….a game that our Cardinals are destined to win. At the risk of sounding snarky, I have no idea what my prediction record is on this year’s Cardinal Nation game threads, but I do keep a ledger on the mlb games that I predict(little friendly wagers). Thus far this season, I am 26-3, which is superior to my usual 82% clip, so a minor losing streak may be on the horizon.

Din-Din tonight consisted of broiled trout, asparagus spears, baby red potatoes, 3 Popeye’s apple cinnamon pies and cranberry juice to wash it all down with.

I too welcome our “new” friend, JoelPete. Anyone else get the feeling that our new esteemed friend, JoelPete, may actually be Cranny in disguise? We’ll find out soon enough when JoelPete gives us his take on the state of affairs concerning our outfield.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Reds trail the Doyers 8-0 in the 9th at Doyer Stadium. Chances are the Doyers can hang on. And I mis-spoke slightly as the Cubs still have two more games down south in Dixie with the Braves. But, who knows, perhaps a four game Atlanta sweep is in the books?

And I ate too much, dont feel good. Going to lie down for awhile. I am sure Whitey Herdog will come and join me on the bed.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Another game with carp on the bench. Things are getting better all the time. Hopefully the hit parade keeps up along with the great pitching.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Too much Gasthof would put the hardiest of men on the turf. But Rat won’t be horizontal for long, as I see a large chunk of cake all smothered with strawberry drizzle in his belly by the 4th inning.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

We will likely be picking out a smorgasbord of items from that which was prepared earlier in the week as din-din this evening.

Let’s hope the ball club can guarantee at least a split with a W tonight behind the rookie. One third of the lineup is rooks, right? Williams, Ka-niz-ner, and Oviedo? I would make is 44% and have Sosa at short. He is one of those guys I can see going somewhere for little return, and we will be talking about his 165 OPS+ while DeJong is struggling along at a 95 clip.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 1
    Vince Velasquez the main man for Philadelphia.

Edman – Foul tip strike 3 into Knapp’s glove

Carlson – Smokes a liner to right that’s going to skip right on by Harper and bounce against the wall about 10 feet off the chalk….and Dylan will check into 2nd standing up with a one out double.

Goldy – On 3-2 Goldy pops it up in back of 2nd where Maton backpeddles into position but then at the last second gives way to the charging Herrera from center field who has it for the out.

Arenado – On 3-2 Nolan fists a short fly out into right and Harper will scamper on in to corral it to retire the side.

Cards 0 Phils 0

Participant

Paid - Annual

Those sort of smorgasbords can be mighty tasty, BicycleMike. I would really love to hear from 1964Cards and CFlood one of these nights as to what they had for din-din.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh oh. Oviedo not starting the 2nd in grandiose fashion as Gregorius doubles and McCutchen walks.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oviedo is struggling here in the 2nd. 11 pitches in the 1st and now at 23 with one out in the 2nd. Guys are fighting off his pitches a lot tonight so far, it seems. He’s been at 0-2 on almost every guy and struggled to put them away.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Oviedo has the physical appearance of a perennial all star…..and he puts away Herrera on strikes for the first out. On 3-2 Knapp laces a base hit to left that will plate Gregorius with the game’s first run, with McCutchen slapping on the brakes at 2nd. Then the first pitch to Maton is ripped down the line in left just a foot foul…..very very close to bringing naughty words to my mouth that you would not want your children or wife to hear…. Maton grounds out to Goldy at 1st unassisted, with runners each moving up a station to 2nd and 3rd. Oviedo whiffs his counterpart, Velasquez, to retire the side.

Cards 0
    Phillies 1

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tyler O’Neill launches one!! 2-1, Cards

Participant

Paid - Annual
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 155 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years