2021 Cardinals MLB Game 19 thread – Friday, April 23 vs. Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 19 thread – Friday, April 23 vs. Reds

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m.
    LHP Kwang Hyun Kim (0-0, 9.00) vs. RHP Sonny Gray (0-0, 4.15)
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

It’s my understanding Castellanos will be back from his two game suspension in time for this series.

I wonder if he might get boo’d when he steps in to the batters box?

r/Esteemed Rat

14NyquisT
    Participant

Eight Ball says “very likely”

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Rat, did you misspell beaned there?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Euro, I might have mispelled bean, I might have spelled it boo’d!

And the Reds will come to town with a four game losing streak. They just lost in ten innings to Arizona 14-11. Their bullpen has really been hurting them.

r/Esteemed Rat

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Cards have nowhere to go but up now.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The forecast for tonight’s game with the Reds is for temps in the upper 50s at game time and pretty much hold in the mid 50s throughout the game. However, there is a 50% chance of rain. Having said that the Doppler Radar doesnt show any precip in or around the St. Louis area.

Hopefully we will get this one in without any wet stuff.

r/Esteemed Rat

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This will be a tough series. I cannot see our offense keeping up with Little Red Machine’s output, but you never know.

As the saying goes, that’s why they play the games.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Hey, Shildt must be reading my posts. Tonight’s lineup is almost how I would do it, with the exception being I would have Carpenter in the 8 spot.

Actually I would not be playing Carp at all and have Sosa or O’Neill out there. But at least Shildt is getting closer.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) RF
    2. Dylan Carlson (S) CF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    7. Matt Carpenter (L) 2B
    8. Justin Williams (L) LF
    9. Kwang Hyun Kim (L) P

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We didn’t hit Gray much in 2019

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So much for “when O’Neill returns Carp will return to the bench”. Wth is wrong with Schildt? Has he had a brain injury?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

C27 – there’s not really much difference between O’Neill and Carpenter. At least not offensively. It’s just a matter of which one will strikeout twice for us in a game. That’s about the only decision Shildt has to make – which one does he want to strike out for us.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, possibly Carpenter still thinks he can play and if he plays everyday and continues to stink it up he will walk away. That’s about the only rationale I can fathom for downgrading the defence between Carp and O’neil

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlson had 7 PAs batting second in 2020. No hits, 4 strike outs.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Almost forgot. Before Pugs gets on for the PBP.

Din-din today was a Subway sandwich. Steak & Cheese, with lettuce, onions, mayo, and mustard. Along with some cream style corn from the deli at the grocery. Dessert was a piece of strawberry something-or-other, sort of a white cake with strawberries and strawberry glaze on it.

Tonight me and Whitey Herdog will be on the couch for the first pitch. I’ll have the heating pad on my sore right shoulder as the hot nurse practitioner says it might be good for my tendonitis. Then after about 20 minutes I’ll switch the heating pad behind me and on to my sore back. At that point I’ll light up the first cigar.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Was that another call for some Pugs PBP? You’re on gentlemen! Din-Din fit for a portly king, RatsBuddy. Din-Din for me consists of grass fed garlic rosemary rack of lamb, red potatoes, asparagus, 3 Popeye’s apple cinnamon pies and Newman’s lemonade to splash it all down with.

This game tonight is all our’s. A good night to be a Redbird fan. I’m thinking 7-4 Good Guys.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Oh, one other difference in my lineup, other than Carp at 8 or preferably out of the lineup, is I would hit Arenado 3 and Goldy 3.

Agree on the concerns in playing Carpenter. I do understand that O’Neill has not exactly shown much, but our defense would be better with O’Neill in left and Edman at second.

The over/under on Carp’s Ks is 2. I am going to take the over on it tonight.

We are not sure on din-din yet. Have four choices, burgers, sloppy joes, beef stew, or citrus herb salmon. So two sort of ballpark fares that are not something we have often, or a hearty stick-to-the-ribs meal, or a healthier choice. We almost always have water to drink, although it’s Friday so a beer or glass of wine might find it’s way to the table.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the idea of 2 guys hitting 3rd at same time, Mike, but one should be lefty and one righty so they each have a chance to hit it. And MrsPerkins has been slow cooking Corned Beef and has just started on the cabbage and potatoes as I got home from work. Should be done in time for first pitch.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The wifey says it is beef stew for us tonight, and we have some fresh baked French bread along with it.

I m not as optimistic as Pugs on the game. I see the last place Cardinals falling in an 8-1 clobbering, with Carp leading the way with 3 Ks, and Goldy, Carlson, DeJong and Arenado all contributing a pair each.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trust me on a Cards win tonight, BicycleMike. You should have opted for the salmon too, but that beef stew just might be the ticket on a night such as this. I bet MrsPerkins’ corned beef is to die for. I think you made the wise choice in kicking that lady IRS agent to the curb, back in your wild carefree bachelor days, MrPerkins…..we won’t tell MrsPerkins just how wild they were.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rats was right….a loud chorus of boo-birds greet Castellanos as he steps into the box.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kim looking sharp in the early going….the lone blemish a leadoff ground single to center off the bat of Winker. Two strike outs as well.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 1
    Sonny Gray dealing for the Redlegs.

Edman – Grounds it sharply right at Votto at 1st…Joey takes a couple quick strides towards the bag and then elects to toss it on over to his streaking pitcher covering his position nicely for the out.

Carlson – Gray losses his footing on a 2-2 pitch and sails it over everyone’s heads to the backstop…..that was so bad it should count as two balls instead of one. Then on the next pitch Dylan is caught looking for strike three.

Goldy – Whiffs gazing to retire the side.

Cards 0
    Reds 0

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

And again Goldy watches two pretty good pitches go by, and swings at what was the toughest pitch to handle in the sequence.

Like Yogi said, “you can observe a lot by watching”. I don’t think Goldy is picking up the pitches until they are halfway there. His focus is way off.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years