2021 Cardinals MLB Game 19 thread – Friday, April 23 vs. Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 19 thread – Friday, April 23 vs. Reds

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I watched much of the game over at my son’s house. Here are some thoughts:

I can see how Williams gets the exit velocity with that big long windmill swing. If he happens to get it on the sweet spot. He will consistently get carved up with that swing and there is no point wasting the PAs waiting for him to square up a mistake now and then. When he was followed by O’Neill and his compact swing it was remarkable. I also saw that his shaky play in the outfield continues.

I was happy to read that Mo is frustrated with Carp’s inability to adjust to what the opposition is doing to get him out. It is obvious enough that he cannot adjust as his swing is unchanged. He will continue to hit it hard into the shift.

Kim’s rapid cadence helped make the game more watchable. I also like his old fashioned high leg kick.

We were lucky to win with 6 hits and 12 strike outs.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the superb PBP, good to read it.

You’re very welcome, So_Cal. And to kill 22 birds with one stone, from emails sent my way, thank you very much to all 22 of you who sent wonderful words of encouragement concerning my 6 innings “strong” PBP effort last evening. Here was just a small sampling of the emails:

“Pugs, your PBP was not strong this evening….it was titanic in strength!”

“When I heard you were doing PBP last night Pugs, the wifey and me immediately cancelled our reservations for our 50th wedding anniversary at the Chez Luis. Our 14 guests were not happy with the late cancellation, but let me tell you, it ended up being well worth it. You’re the best!”

“Hey Pugs. It’s been a bad week with me getting fired from my job again, the wifey filing divorce papers and everything else in general, but your PBP makes life justifiable. Keep em coming kiddo!”

I even heard from one of our many good friends south of the border:

“Hola senor Pugs. Tu PBP estaba magnifico y fantastico!! Usted roca!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs I was going to message saying how appalling it is that Wrigley has a Harry Caray statue and Busch has no PuglsyAddams statue, but your in box was full.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sweet sentiments, Bling! It took nearly an hour, but my inbox is now ready, willing and able to accept new messages of encouragement. Concerning Harry’s statue at Wrigley, something we never consider…..can you imagine how many crows that thing chases off. I bet our Cardinals are the only birds coming within a country mile of Wrigley. I recall back in the day, before Harry’s statue was erected, you’d see those seagulls from Lake Michigan floating all over Wrigley. They were so plentiful that a batted ball once knocked one right out of flight and onto the field of play. But now days your common housefly is the only airborne thing you’ll see at Wrigley other than the occasional baseball.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Just got back from the coffee shop. There is a looney liberal Democrat and kooky conservative Republican who need to be physically separated most mornings. True again today, but this time they were in a warm, almost tearful embrace. They could not believe they found common ground in thinking Pugs’ PBP last night was an artistic masterpiece. They even planned a trip to attend a game together in hopes of laying eyes on Pugs’ PBP booth….and maybe even getting an autograph.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Justin Williams should be on the bench after that atrocious game.

I was disappointed in Williams’ at bats, as he has been hitting the ball with authority but was too passive last night. Plus he has looked good on defense. I think the kid has a good future, but he regressed some last night. In that first AB he had a couple of pitches to hit but did not offer.

In seeing that, and seeing O’Neill’s poor approach to pitch sequences I wonder if Albert ever takes these guys aside and goes through that with them? Hitting is more than technique, it’s about what to do with pitches in particular zones on a given count. Before every pitch, your mind should go through the blue print on how to approach the ball based on where you expect it to be, and adjust to where it actually is coming.

Obviously hitting is tough, but you have to use your brain to at least tilt the odds a little. Watch how the pitcher is approaching the other guys, and think about how you are going to approach the plate appearance.

But that outfield gaffe was on Carlson. In everything I was taught, if the center fielder can get to it, it is his ball. Williams could have taken it as well, but you could see he was thinking Carlson had it. One of them should have taken charge, that being Carlson’s responsibility first, and grabbed that one.

I imagine Harrison Bader is chomping at the bit to get in there and show how it’s done. He will be welcomed back for that part of his game, but it will be tough to watch his at-bats, unless he has learned some plate discipline.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the kind words, Euro Dandy…..and please thank the lovely Mrs. Dandy for sending the tasty Dutch apple cinnamon pie this week. I bet it puts RatsBuddy’s Amish apple pie to shame. Our PBP booth can be tricky to find at times due to it being a mobile PBP booth. And that’s just the way PBP should be conducted. Not from the stodgy confines of some stationary little booth, but rather out there with the roaring crowd and it’s many available beer vendors.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry pugs, but I believe there are no beer vendors in the stands. Trust the science.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Thanks for the superb PBP, good to read it.

You made my wife laugh, hilarious!

It was indeed very very good.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trust your PBP host’s will. We have had no difficulties whatsoever ordering up rounds of brewski’s at the ol’ ballpark, Bling.

You married right, So_Cal. Wait until I get into full swing. Still knocking out the early season PBP cobwebs.

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years