2021 Cardinals MLB Game 10 thread – Mon, April 12 vs. Nats

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 10 thread – Mon, April 12 vs. Nats

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

But Goldschmidt has a slightly different career record as a major league ballplayer than Paul DeJong. Goldy will be fine.
    DeJong ……. ?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

LA, what’s really funny is how the same ones who keep running down the complete outfield and SS or posting their numbers almost daily, also keep saying that Goldschmidt is one of our best hitters so far this year or that he came off his hot streak. After the first game of the season until now, Goldschmidt has a line of .147/.216/.147/.363. In other words, he had a 1 game hot streak.

I am sure there will be at least one post about how we are not worried about Goldschmidt or that he isn’t protected in the order.

bccran
    Participant

Goldy’s a 7 time All Star. Silver Slugger in both 2017 and 2018. He will be just fine.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy is 33, going to turn 34 this year. Three time All Star and Silver Slugger winner Matt Carpenter had a 133 wRC+ through his age 32 season and then promptly went off the age cliff. To suggest that Goldy is automatically immune to the same sort of decline is to suspend the reality of the game in the PED Era of the 1950s to 2010ish.

We all hope that Goldy is the 140 wRC+ guy he has been for much of his career. He could well be the 114 guy he was his first year in St Louis, or even worse. To paraphrase BlingBoy, we can’t know that he’ll be the Goldy of old until we know he’s not Goldy the Old.

bccran
    Participant

Some posters have great hopes this season for unproven guys like Bader, O’Neill, Thomas, Williams, etc. but then talk about the possible decline of Goldy. Strange.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy could still be dealing with whatever it was that kept him out that one game.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NL occurrences of players 33+ putting up a 130 wRC+ or better in a single season over the last 10 full years: 17. Above 140 wRC+: 7, with only Joey Votto in the last 5 years.

Jason Werth, Joey Votto, Aramis and Carlos Beltran broke 130 twice. Only four have happened since 2015: Votto’s duo, Justin Turner and Josh Donaldson in 2019.

Like I said, we hope Goldy can get back on track but the odds are stacked against him. He’s still going to add a lot of value to the team though.

bccran
    Participant

Shoot. That wRC+ will get you every time.
    Bet Stan the Man monitored that constantly. And every single day was keeping a close check on his launch angle, swing plane, barrel rate, and exit velocity.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What does Stan Musial have to do with age related decline of players in the non PED Era? The point is that you are dreaming if you think that there’s nothing to worry about with Goldy.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Bet Stan the Man monitored that constantly

Bc, I find it interesting that you respond to people debating you by continually accusing them of personally attacking you, yet whenever people use statistcs and modern metrics to support their points of view, you often belittle them and their posts.

You are a mass of odious contradictions.

bccran
    Participant

“You are a mass of odious contradiction”

You are rude, so cal, and continuously break the posting rules. Demeaning personally another poster is taboo.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

I did not demean you, bccran. I demeaned your contradictions that you act under on this forum. I’m not the first one to notice them, or the first one to call you out for them.

I don’t have aquaintance with you, nor do I know you well enough to evaluate whether we you would benefit from having a personal evaluation of you (which you would call an attack), so all I can do is observe your posting behavior and call that out.

bccran
    Participant

Maybe calling out another poster is fun for you. Or is good sport. But it’s not gentlemanly. You want to attack my posts, have at it. You want to attack the way I post, back off.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

I find your posts a mass of odious contradictions. Is that better?

bccran
    Participant

Great. And I find your posts about the way another poster posts out of line and against Brian’s well thought out posting rules. Talk baseball and the Cardinals. Simple.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

I hope you can stick to posting rules as well. Try not mocking people’s posts that bring up performance metrics.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

For what it’s worth:
    I have a ton of faith that Goldschmidt will be fine in the long run and
    Zero Faith that O’Neill, Bader, Williams, ever will! I starting to doubt Carlson also but have. Or given up hope on him! The other three are never gonna be any good!
    The truth is the front office has done a terrible job evaluating talent! We are fans and can debate for fun but they are being paid thousands of not millions to evaluate young cardinal talent and they suck at it! If we had Arozarena and Pham in the corner outfield spots instead of the pitiful choices we have now we would be in way better shape! We need big league help NOW in the batters box before it gets truly ugly! I have no faith in our front office to pick and choose which young players have a bright future! They have proven they don’t know!

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

picks arguments
    play the poor little victim
    rinse, repeat
    bigotry at its best

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Like I said in post above think Goldschmidt will be fine!

bccran
    Participant

Good post, Steve. Thanks for talking baseball. I think Goldy will be fine too. He’s a competitor and his skills remain high.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Stan Musial had 9 seasons of wRC+ of 160 or more through his age 32 season. His high was 201. Paul Goldschmidt has 1 season of wRC+ of 160 or more. His high was 163 and it was 6 years ago. Looking at traditional stats, Musial had a line of .345/.432/.582/1.014 and 2223 hits through his age 32 season. Goldschmidt has a career line of 293/.392/.522/.914 and 1395 hits.

bc, since you love saying that someone is comparing apples to oranges, I think you can’t use Musial as a comparison for Goldschmidt.

1982 willie
    Participant

Yea Stan the man is an all timer. He would be great in any era. So bringing him in a discussion of goldy who is a fine player is really silly.

1982 willie
    Participant

I do think goldy will be fine this year. Going forward hard to say and also we don’t need him to be super just pretty good.

bccran
    Participant

Edmonds at 40 years old – .286/.350/.493/.843
    Rolen at 35 years old – .285/.358/.497/.855
    Ozzie at 37 years old – .295/.367/.342/.709
    McGee at 38 years old – .300/.347/.420/.767
    Brock at 40 years old – .304/.342/.398/.740
    Torre at 35 years old – .306/.358/.406/.764
    Beltran at 39 years old – .304/.347/.546/.893
    Berkman at 35 years old – .301/.412/.547/.959
    Rose at 40 years old – .325/.391/.390/.781
    Aaron at 39 years old – .301/.402/.643/1.045

You simply don’t know how Goldy will be in the next few
    years. He’s a competitor and keeps himself in great shape.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All of those players were active in the PED era. Again, since PEDs were mostly eliminated from the sport, older players performing really well is almost unheard of unless they are DHs. Goldy is a great player and unlikely to fall completely off a cliff, but he’s also at the age where we should start to expect much less of him. That’s why having Carlson, Gorman or an outside free agent becoming the secondary bat to Arenado for a few years is going to be so key.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years