2021 Cardinals MLB Game 10 thread – Mon, April 12 vs. Nats

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 10 thread – Mon, April 12 vs. Nats

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:45 p.m.
    RHP John Gant (0-0, 0.00) vs. RHP Erick Fedde (0-1, 27.00)
    BSM Plus // KMOX // WIJR

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Good thing about this series is that we are going to miss Scherzer. He toes the rubber in Dodger Stadium on Sunday. His mound opponent will be Clayton Kershaw in that one.

r/Esteemed Rat

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

This game is far too late for me (1:45 a.m. start). Just as well, din-din tonight will only be a goat cheese and green pepper omelette with a salad, iced tea, no dessert (waistline oblige). Let’s get back in the winning business tonight.
    Rah Cardinals!

14NyquisT
    Participant

Over the winter,

Starting rotation was Flaherty-Mikolas-CMart-Kim-Wainwright. Ponce and Gant are now filling in.

Infield was Goldschmidt-Edman-DeJong-Carpenter. Big upgrade with Arenado

Starting Outfield was O’Neill-Bader-Carlson-Fowler. Presently, with O’Neill ILed, its some combination of Carlson-Dean-Thomas-Williams. After these four, things get very dicey in the farm system. Luckily we have Edman and Nogowski as options.

Right now we are seeing a very different team and the hot stove seems like ages ago. From my spot in the last row of the cheap seats, I don’t have a lot of faith in what we have out there now which seems to be a marginal group with no one stepping up. If it were up to me, I’d get Gorman plenty of practice in the OF.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Me and Whitey Herdog will be on the couch tonight, tuning in for this one. The Reds are in San Francisco so after the Nats/Cards game is decided I’ll be switching over to that one. Probably have a couple of cigars during these two games tonight.

My din-din today will be fried chicken, a couple of thighs in the air fryer. The rest of the cut up hot dogs in bar-b-q sauce that I have left. Some bread & butter. Then a piece of cherry pie and an ice cream sandwich. Yum Yum. Along with a Sunkist Orange.

r/Esteemed Rat

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

NY I think they will go the cheap
    route in July, if we are plodding along at .500 (in a horrible division) and Mo cannot stand the prices for upgrading. I’d love to see Gorman, but only if he is to play a lot. I’m far from giving up on Lane. He had a bad case of COVID last year, worse than normal. He could comeback strong. Bader can come in when ahead in the 6th inning. O’Neill is the puzzle for me. He can be a star if he can lay off bad pitches and get more selective. If we trade him he will become another Arozerena. Maybe it’s time for another batting coach.

CarolinaCardinal
    Participant

I just cannot see Tyler O’Neill being a star. At some point you are what you are. He is an AAAA player.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

CarolinaCardinal wrote

I just cannot see Tyler O’Neill being a star. At some point you are what you are. He is an AAAA player

Totally agree. This is, what, his 4th year that he’s played in the big leagues and all he continues to do is strikeout. If he hasnt learned to make contact by now then most likely he’s not going to.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt pregame comments:

Gant pitched inside last time, disrupted hitters’ balance. Expect him to be ahead of counts. Relievers pitching more innings than starters is not the model we want.

Oviedo last night had command, showed poise, gave them chance to get back into game.

Kim threw 86 pitches yesterday in sim game. All reports favorable. Not saying when he will be activated, but will be back in rotation soon.

Mikolas doing most of his work at the alternate site, but came to Busch to throw a pen today. Very favorable. Will throw another pen and go from there.

Not ready to talk about rotation plans and possible use of 6th starter now.

Molina is unique in a lot of areas. Has something offensively for every situation. Letting ball get into zone, so walks are up, getting better pitches to handle. Taking better at-bats.

Tonight Yadi is catching, Carp at 2B, Edman in RF and Williams LF. Defer to infielder Edman being more comfortable in right. Williams has prior experience in left. Eventually game will reward Carpenter, whose swing has been in a good place since spring training.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

T Edman (S) RF
    P Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    N Arenado (R) 3B
    Y Molina (R) C
    D Carlson (S) CF
    P DeJong (R) SS
    M Carpenter (L) 2B
    J Williams (L) LF
    J Gant (R) P

bccran
    Participant

Did someone really say that if we trade O’Neill he will become another Arozarena? Wow.

TO has the proper launch angle, a good swing plane, his barrel rate checks out, and his exist velocity is fine. He just can’t hit.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Bc it’s not hard to find my comment, if you bother to scroll up a few inches.

Yes he can, based on his exit velocity, but not his contact. As you know, he is not selective enough, but has quick wrists and a compact swing. Four years is a long time to have hope. I’d be happy to see him sent down to learn patience, if we had better.

bccran
    Participant

Looks to me like TO is wound up tighter than a drum. Terry, Tyler’s father, is a former Mr. Canada. Tyler has probably been hitting the heavy weights for a long time.
    How do you undo that bulk and become lithe and flexible? He once was videoed quarter-squatting 585 lbs. Bat speed and power is one thing, but bat control is another.
    It may be why he can kill a fastball right down the middle, but has trouble adjusting to other pitches in different locations.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

He looks to me like he has lost some weight over the last year, which would be a good thing for his health. I hope he didn’t use steroids while weightlifting.

bccran
    Participant

Good point.

1982 willie
    Participant

So carpenter getting those at bats everyone said he wasnt going to get. All based on hope. Yea he’s going to luck into a hit every great once in a while. I thought schildt was somewhat smart but I guess I overjudged him.

CarolinaCardinal
    Participant

Could’ve been worse I guess. I wouldn’t have pitched to Soto, who I believe is the best player in the game not named Mike Trout.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With Carlson at .207 we no longer have half our lineup hitting below .200. Hooray.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

willie if you doubled Carpenters current PA’s, he’d rank 7th in PA’s, on the team. Is this your version of “lots of at bats”?

bccran
    Participant

Cards starters have allowed more earned runs than any team in the NL. Time to clamp it down.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Comparing O’Neill to Arozarena still has me laughing!

bccran
    Participant

DeJong is totally lost. Looks almost like he’s given up.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlson now at .200, which is not below .200 so we still no longer have half our order hitting below .200. It should be mentioned that Goldy is down to .250.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But with DeJong now at .094, one quarter of the lineup is below .100 One third if you count Gant but I am not counting the pitcher so as not to be throwing shade.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Agree with bccran
    Dejong has the deer in the headlights look every at bat. Is Sosa hurt?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years