2020 TCN Top 50 Prospect Countdown

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 TCN Top 50 Prospect Countdown

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Paul Ivice
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll go with the latter option. I have heard plenty of scouts talk in such ways when they know they are talking anonymously.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just like last year was probably an overreaction to Nunez crushing the DSL, this year may be an overreaction on the other side. I don’t get too concerned if a guy doesn’t dominate immediately when hitting the states. This year will show a lot for Malcom. I think he will respond and become a solid top 10 guy.

Paul Ivice
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with #25 and suggest that the Cardinals pushed an 18-year-old too aggressively to expect him to go from the DSL to Peoria in May.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Where does Kim now fit in the prospect ranking – he is ròokie eligible

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Haven’t considered it. What do readers think?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I would rank him #8. The ranking tempered by his age and only 2 years of control.

Paul Ivice
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think of Kim as more of a free agent signing than a prospect. At first, I did not think the number of years of control should be a factor, but it does limit his potential impact. He is signed on the premise that he is major-league ready, so I would not include him in prospect ranking.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Well, Ohtani was rookie of the year and we did make rookie status the criteria…..

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I get that Kim is an MLB rookie, but I do not consider him a prospect. I am not planning to add him to the site top 50, but that shouldn’t preclude the discussion.

P.S. To be clearer, the discussion of where to rank Kim is occurring on the top 50 voting thread pinned to the top of the board. Please share your Kim prospect ranking views there. Thanks.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see more potential and development from Rondon, Cabrera, and even Oviedo than Woodford. Rates like homers/ 9 innings, and walks per 9 innings went the wrong direction, IMO, unless Woodford picks up more velocity as a reliever I am not a believer, yet.

Paul Ivice
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Woodford’s walks are a concern, mostly because his BB/9IP rate has been increasing as he climbs the ladder, but everyone in Triple-A threw a lot of gopher balls in 2019, and especially iin the homer-happy PCL.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Kim is a rookie but he’s not and shouldn’t be considered a prospect.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

85, that has long been my point. Rookie status and prospect status are different. That is why I question using rookie status as the eligibility criteria for prospect ranking.

But if that is what you choose to use you should be consistent

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just to be clear, for the site, we do not use rookie status. We use the same at-bats and innings pitched limits for obvious convenience. However, we do not use rookie days on the roster limits because those are not readily available. We have done it this same way for at least 15 years.

Did the community stray from that this year? I let the group manage the voting and no one asked me about it. But if this the issue, please explain.

For an obvious exception like a foreign player such as Kim, a simple application of common sense is probably good enough – as opposed to trying to create more rules.

Or do you have a better idea? If the latter, please share.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.