2020 TCN Top 50 Prospect Countdown

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 TCN Top 50 Prospect Countdown

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My optimism for Delvin comes from his end of season run. Prior to this year he hadn’t shown any ability to drive the ball at all since his GCL stint. Late in the year, he did. Also, the guys between Paul’s slot for him and the TCN rank very likely don’t have any shot to make an impact at the MLB level (with the exception of Gingery). At least Delvin has an outside chance if the chips fall just right.

Can Paul really make a case for any of those guys as anything more than a lottery ticket to be a bullpen arm or utility guy? Let’s see the objective analysis of that. 😉😁

Paul Ivice
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While I have no doubt there is truth in your statement that teams give a longer leash to players they draft earlier and give bigger bonuses, the Cardinals coaches and front office staff tell me and the players that once a player is signed, they are all treated equally and everything is based on their growth and performance.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The special attention Jose Oquendo has given Perez for years is a reminder that there are no absolutes.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In the 31 to 50 range there were a few hidden gems that were uncovered and that will be fun to keep an eye on next year.
    But it gets a lot more interesting when you get below 30 in these rankings. Nice analysis by all three evaluators on Jack Ralston.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ralston’s ‘over the top, windmill’ pitching motion sounds kind of like Michael Wacha’s pitching motion. Wacha’s changeup is generally considered his best secondary pitch and Ralston’s best secondary pitch is his curveball. Come to think of it, if Ralston throws, and controls, a curveball thrown with an over the top, windmill motion, it’s hard to imagine how anybody could hit it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I read in the BA chat with Kyle Glaser last week the Cardinals plan on using Ralston only in relief, so he should be on the fast-track next year.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

The issue with resetting your pitching through a massive influx of college arms is a sudden log jam at Peoria. Ralston seems like someone who needs innings as a late bloomer. I wonder if they see Jeffry Abreau as a starter? He is a big talented kid who is completely under our radar but was the central piece in the Gyorko trade.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nigel T, I hope to get my first look at Abreu if he is invited to instructional camp. Otherwise it will be in spring training. All of that assumes he is healthy and ready to go. Just by what I have read, I doubt he is an immediate candidate for Peoria.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am a little concerned over Roberts’ diminished fastball readings in Arizona. Hopefully, it is the result of a long professional season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Catching up a little, it’s interesting how Ralston, Pallante, Locey, Roberts and Seijas have been rated. It seems to me like this group of 5 is the “second tier” of talent that the Cards should be hoping to get a back end starter and a couple of relievers from. If they can get more, then great (you’d hope for at least a mid rotation guy or better plus a stud reliever from “Tier 1” of Oviedo, Cabrera, Rondon and Thompson with Woodford a wild card). Each guy has a ways to go in their development and most (except maybe Seijas) have starter/reliever questions going forward. It wouldn’t surprise me if any are in the Cards’ rotation in 2-3 years, nor would it be a real shock if they were in the bullpen or not in the league at all. Such is life on the edges of prospect relevance (at least in terms of the big leagues, not to us).

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For context, the scout noted that while Jose Martinez is a difficult roster fit – he can play first base and corner outfield, if necessary.

Has this scout watched Jose play first base? I have a hard time believing that. If Baker is even more of a liability than Jmart, they should do us all a favor and cut him right now.

Paul Ivice
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is a huge difference between a 22-year-old still on his way up and learning both his body and the position, and a 31-year-old who has played 14 seasons of professional ball and is not going to get any better defensively.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is a huge difference between a 22-year-old still on his way up and learning both his body and the position, and a 31-year-old who has played 14 seasons of professional ball and is not going to get any better defensively.

Agreed. That’s why it seems strange to say that there’s just no way that Baker can play defense at all. I suspected that the scout either hadn’t seen Jmart play much or was being a bit hyperbolic.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.