2020 TCN Top 50 Prospect Countdown

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 TCN Top 50 Prospect Countdown

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not sure why we’d need any more corner OFers at all at this point. With the 26th man likely being a position player it seems, there will be room for a guy who’s probably a pinch hitter only on a roster. I don’t know if the Cards will use it that way though.

Also, Nogoswski seems like the kind of player the Pirates would pick up after they gut their roster and trade Josh Bell.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yepez just seems like the career minor league/cup of joe in the bigs at 25/26 type. In today’s game, athleticism plays unless you are incredible with the bat, so the 1B/OF types have to really be something to stick in the majors.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Paul Ivice
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would be careful about describing Delvin Perez as a plus defender. Perez has great range and a good arm, but still needs a lot of work to improve his footwork and decision-making.
    He has plus tools on defense. But he still makes too many bad decision and unforced errors to be considered a plus defender. 24 errors in 112 games for Peoria this season. He has the potential to become a plus defender, but he is still a long way from actually being one.
    Perez needs to add some upper body strength to reach his potential as a hitter, because ipper-level pitchers are going to be able to knock the bat out of his hands. That bulk could have negative effects on his fluidity in the field.
    He is ranked too high at #32. Based on who he is right now, he should be somewhere in the mid-40s.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paul, I respect your take on the controversial Perez. As the TCN’s “beat writer” for the GCL-Cards you undoubtedly have more insight into the question at hand than most.

The #33 ranking is due to the message board participant’s still seeing Perez as a 1st round pick and a prospect (the group’s #22 selection) with the potential of being an MLB candidate

.Yeah, I’m cautiously buying the hype….”….he has a solid to good glove at SS, but the bat is the question.

There was some strong support in his favor and I would say some saw the improvement at Peoria, though modest, as progress nonetheless. Becoming more mature takes time… more for some…. Perez is still very young.

At 20, it’s not too late for him to grow into a future big leaguer….

. Perhaps some relied on the TCN August ranking, seeing it as an omen of where Delvin was headed.

His maturation has always been questionable and his lack of progress on the field has seen his stock decline in his time with the organization. The other 2/3 of the TCN ranking equation agrees with your opinion of Perez, ranking him further down on their lists. Derek was totally in agreement with your assessment and Brian a little more optimistic and closer to my personal ranking.

IMO, Perez will always be the subject of a wide variation of endorsements. This year’s poll is indicative of just how wide the variation can become.

Thanks for adding your assessment of what some see as Perez’ good side…. his bat is evidently the bad side. It will always be about potential… potential… potential, and Perez will either live with or fail with his. Maybe a tough call to make.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Paul Ivice
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My main point on Perez is that it is wrong to assume that once his bat comes around he will be on track to the majors as a shortstop. I purposely took the unusual step of posting on this forum instead of communicating with Brian or Derek as I usually do, because Perez has just as much or more problems on defense as he does at the plate, but those problems are not obvious to those who have not seen him play in person. There is a huge difference between having the tools to play great defense and actually doing it. Perez has the tools, but is lacking in both technique and consistency. He has potential, but he was still below-average as a defender as Peoria’s shortstop in 2019.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I kind of view Delvin Perez the same way the Cardinals FO views Dexter Fowler. The overall production may not be great but when you make that kind of investment in a player then you are going to give them the full benefit of the doubt over and over. Actually, as I was reading Brian’s assessment of Perez I was thinking that you could substitute Fowler’s name in there in leave the rest verbatim. Fowler’s “bounce back” year of 2019 really wasn’t much of a bounce back.

A first round pick will always be viewed differently, at least for awhile. Eventually that grace period will run out though (see Nick Plummer) but I don’t think we are there yet with Perez.

There seems to be a thought that he will struggle at Palm Beach since so many players do. In fact I have read many articles about how difficult it is to hit there and in some instances the Cardinals will allow a player to bypass the FSL so it doesn’t bury their confidence at the plate. If that is the case then maybe Palm Beach should be up for contraction instead of Johnson City and State College. (I am not completely serious about that but you get my point).

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our system sure is weak on middle infielders. The Delvin Perez signing is a result of Mozeliak’s ‘We are not the morality police’ doctrine. I hope he is over that. The truth is that all of us are the ‘morality police’ whether we want to be or not.

Paul Ivice
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see the parallel you are trying to draw between Delvin Perez and Dexter Fowler, but there’s really no valicity to comparing a guy like Perez still struggling to develop in the lower minors vur has not yet shown the skills to produce at even the Triple-A level and a 12-year veteran who has been an all-star and is trying to make the adjustments to maintain a level he has already established.
    Assessing minor-leaguers is looking at what they have done so far and projecting their tools and the skills they have acquired into the future. Perez has the tools, but he has not yet acquired the skills to match those tools. Certainly, there are guys with less in their toolbag than Perez who have succeeded in he majors because they were very good at acquiring the skills to maximize the tools they have. Other guys with much more talent (tools) never are able to acquire the skills and temperament to turn their tools into a major-league career. So far, Perez is showing he is headed toward the latter group, any comparison to Fowler’s situation is baseless.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So far, Perez is showing he is headed toward the latter group, any comparison to Fowler’s situation is baseless.

I wasn’t really comparing the players. I was comparing how people look at investments. The more you invest in something the more you want it to succeed and will exhaust all options before cutting bait.

Paul Ivice
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While that is true, and quite obvious, I’m not sure that relevant to how Perez is ranked as a prospect.

ducksnort2
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Paul, you should post here more often.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While that is true, and quite obvious, I’m not sure that relevant to how Perez is ranked as a prospect.

The relevance would come from the reason why the message board community ranked him drastically higher than the other two components of the rankings. The message board community is not ready to give up on that investment yet just like the FO is not ready to give up on the investment they made in Fowler. That was the comparison I was trying to make.

Paul Ivice
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the invitation. May I will, but be careful what you wish for. I consider myself an objective student of the game and not a fan of any team, so many people who read and participate in fan sites don’t like to hear objective, fact-based observations.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I think you will find there are quite a few on here that are willing to hear objective, fact-based observations. (And a few that aren’t)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.