2020 TCN Top 50 Prospect Countdown

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 TCN Top 50 Prospect Countdown

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

cardswin53
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who on the 40 man roster remains eligible?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

cardswin53, check out the reader voting thread pinned to the top of this board if you want to see the eligibility discussion.

In essence, Helsley, Thomas and O’Neill are out. Knizner, Arozarena, Fernandez, Cabrera, Williams, Sosa and Adolis are in.

P.S. I added this to the article for clarity. Thanks for bringing it up.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really look forward to reading this each day. Participating in the voting was fun. This is fabulous content.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is really a group project. 14NyquisT (representing all of you) and Derek Shore are key to the efforts.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Did Helsley and Thomas have too many days on the active roster? I don’t believe they reached the innings and/or at bats criteria.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d go with Gorman, as he has the better upside at a more important position (no chance that Carlson is a CF long term, if at all). But it will be Carlson, who is not a bad choice either.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

And we’re off!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NOt sure how many others agree, but here are some thoughts I have about our first 2 selections, Brady Whalen and Bryan Dobzanski:

Whalen: Should he give up hitting right handed? His career splits would support it. Like Ascanio’s late season improvement by dropping switch hitting it may benefit him. His path is blocked by Luken Baker, unless he shows more power. But watching him at Peoria he seems to be a better fielder than Baker, who likely will be a DH. And it’s good for WHalen that Gorman and Montero seem likely to remain at third base.

I think Dobzanski may be taken in the Rule 5 draft by a team like the Marlins, or (gasp) the Padres, but is it worth a 40 man roster spot to protect him? If he was a starter, he should be protected, but as a reliever who struggled at the end of his season he may not need protecting. But I still have high hopes for him. He should start the season at Memphis with a number of other prospects. Also, He needs to work on control, as his walks were too high in 2019, which may have lead to a higher home run rate.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I am a big Max Schrock fan. I saw him play every home game at South Carolina and know his family. He can hit when healthy. If he had a problem at SC it was staying healthy. I hope he is given a chance with some team(preferably the Cardinals). I think he would hit at the MLB level if healthy.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A move in the Rule 5 might be best for Schrock, as one of your other faves, Edman, is one who zoomed right by him. With other infielders on the 40-man and Schrock not, he is at a disadvantage here. However, he still has a couple of years before free agency, so there is time to rebound if he can get the at-bats and produce like earlier in his career.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Two main differences between Max and Edman are Edman plays SS and is a switch hitter. Max is an LH hitter but a switch hitter is obviously better…Max can play 2B & 3B but not SS as his range isn’t as good as Tommy’s is.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Last year, I took some notes about top 50 enhancements I wanted to make this year. I just ran across this list today. As a result, I am immediately making two additions to all top 50 player capsules – the Rule 5 eligible year or minor league options remaining along with my estimated year the player will debut in MLB. (I also went back and added this for #50 through #45 prospects already posted.) I hope folks like the enhancements.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate that you include the pronunciation of names like Justo and Pages in these articles. If you didn’t say how to pronounce those names, I would have to wait for an audio interview to find out how to say them.

Obviously, these players ranked 40-50 aren’t going to generate much buzz, but they do give a direction to look toward for next year. Mudville’s mental notes so far:
    Patrick Pomeri – high marks for potential from Brian
    Francisco Justo – tall, young pitcher – unexciting FB in the 86-90 range
    Pedro Pages – another catcher with upside

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You are welcome. Good observations. Thanks for subscribing and following along.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would like to see the Cardinals trade JMart this winter and allow Ravelo and Nogowski battle in Spring Training for that roster spot.(Hey it would save a little money!)

As mentioned Ravelo has the advantage in having a 40 man spot plus being able to play corner OF. Nogowski really needs to add corner OF to his resume to enhance his chances of promotion.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

They tried Nogowski in the OF before but backed off. It is also worth remembering that there will be a 26th man starting in 2020, but carrying a reserve who is 1B-only behind a major star at the same position seems a luxury that few can afford (also known as Luke Voit, part 2).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.