2020 Spring Training

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Spring Training

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree 100% mud. Tewes was #29 two years ago and I thought we had a sleeper with a high ceiling.

Participant

Paid - Annual

25 –

Maybe a better way to look at it, instead of seeing which leagues are pitcher’s leagues or hitter’s leagues, is to see where each team ranked in runs scored in it’s particular league –

Memphis – 9th out of 16
    Springfield – 5th out of 8
    Palm Beach – 10th out of 12
    Peoria – 11th out of 16th
    State College – 1st out of 14
    Johnson City – 4th out of 10
    GCL Cardinals – 10th out of 18

Looks like we have a bit of a hitting problem in addition to the pitching problem that
    Brian talked about. Sure liked that State College performance, though.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran, no need to do that data pulling. I already did it in an article series that ran after last season.

Team runs scored and ERA and league rankings, also compared to player age:

Youth a Factor in Rough 2019 across the Cardinals Minors

Similar view looking at comparative player ages and team run differential:

2019 Cardinals Minors Run Differential and Player Ages

Team and system win/loss records, standings, playoffs, etc…:

2019 Cardinals Minor League System Disappoints

Decline in all-stars:

Cardinals Shut Out of Short-Season Post-Season All-Stars

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks, Brian.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I should also have mentioned that the 2019 minor league run scoring and team ERA (including comparisons to player ages) are covered on pages 13-14 of TCN’s 2020 Cardinals Prospect Guide.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Looking at the ERAS of each of our starters all the way down the system to the GCL, as well as the BA, OBP, OPS, HRs, and stolen bases of each of our position players tells a lot about that accum #29 record.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Of the 48 players that were lost, it’s hard to find one that had a realistic chance of making it to the major leagues. I think it’s a good idea to release players with little chance of making to the big leagues so they can get started on something more promising in life. With 48 players released and only 21 added, there is a net loss of 27 players. You have to wonder if the Cardinals are starting the process of downsizing now, so they don’t have so many players to release when the number of minor league teams is reduced.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It may be more of a timing thing. In fact, according to the current and prior versions of the Roster Matrix (which everyone can access for free), the Cardinals had 297 players from top to bottom at this time last year, compared to 304 now.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

It may be more of a timing thing. In fact, according to the current and prior versions of the Roster Matrix (which everyone can access for free), the Cardinals had 297 players from top to bottom at this time last year, compared to 304 now.

#infoyoucantgetanywhereelse

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Can’t wait for first televised game. Hope to see the young kids play, sprinkled with a few veterans.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some day I hope to make it to Spring Training. Florida has its charms for those of us stuck in the snow. Like C27, I’m eagerly awaiting the first game I get to see on TV. I was telling a non baseball loving friend this morning about how much I’m looking forward to it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You should go, 25. Baseball, golf, beach time, and outstanding seafood. Makes for a great Spring Break for Cardinal fans.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

bccran, how many years have you gone and what would a typical trip look like, if there is a such a thing for you (# days, day-to-day Cards-related activities, etc.)? Wife and I are thinking about going 2nd or 3rd week in March.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve gone for about 15 years now, Euro. We usually go for a week. Normally the 3rd week in March when the minor league camp is in full swing. I’ll split time in the morning between watching major league workouts on the 2 fields behind the stadium and the minor league complex, which is just a short walk away. We try to go to 2 major league games while we’re there. I’ll also try to spend 2 days watching minor league games on the back fields in the afternoon against teams from other organizations. That leaves 3 afternoons free for a round of golf with my wife and friends that we go with. On the 4 days that I go to games, I’ll head over to Juno Beach afterward to ride some waves. There are plenty of great restaurants near by, several overlooking the intercoastal canal, with boats cruising by. Great atmosphere.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Thanks for the details, bccran. Sounds like a lot of fun. One more question — any hotel/lodging recommendations convenient to the facilities?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The only hotel I am aware of within walking distance is a Courtyard by Marriott, directly across the street from the stadium. However, availability is one matter. High prices may be another, depending on how deep your pockets are.

Participant

Free

I don’t really understand why our farm system seems to be weak right now. up until last year, we weren’t in the playoffs and we haven’t really spent any huge amount of money on free agents though I know carpenter ate us up a bit. seems like it should be better to me.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Euro –

Google “Hotels Palm Beach Gardens”

It’s a nice area only 10-15 minutes or so from the stadium, and they have 15 hotels there in all price ranges.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

bccran & Brian, thanks!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Euro –

There are a lot of good restaurants, but three of our favorites are –

Waterways Café – right on the canal
    Captain Charlie’s Reef Grill
    Jetty’s Waterfront

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t really understand why our farm system seems to be weak right now. up until last year, we weren’t in the playoffs and we haven’t really spent any huge amount of money on free agents though I know carpenter ate us up a bit. seems like it should be better to me.

I think the lost draft in 2017 has really hurt. Not only did they lose the picks, but they basically whiffed on the rest of the draft. Is it possible that Whitley is the only guy to make the bigs from that class?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Euro – My wife and I always go one morning for breakfast to the Dune Deck in Lantana which is more or less in West Palm Beach which is about 20 minutes from Jupiter. Park in the public lot at the bottom of the dune. Then, go over to the steps and walk up to the restaurant. They don’t take credit cards, and they don’t take reservations. If you get there before, say 9:30 AM, you won’t have to wait for breakfast. The photos in the link below speak for themselves.

Here’s the address: 100 N Ocean Blvd Fl 33462, Lantana, FL 33462-3331

Here’s a link: https://www.dunedeckcafe.com/

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Mud and bccran, thanks for the food tips. If my wife decides to go with me in future years, it won’t be because of baseball — it’ll be because she likes the restaurants, beaches, and hotels.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 161 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years