2020 Spring Training

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Spring Training

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I wouldn’t be surprised if Gingery doesn’t pitch again until 2021, or at all.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I was just wondering why he would appear on prospect lists at all. If he did have another TJ surgery, he is certainly off mine. Yes, he wouldn’t likely be back until 2021, at a minimum.

Participant

Free

I didn’t have Gingery on my list simply because he’s only pitched 3 innings the last two seasons. Way too many question marks for me and that was before finding out he had the second TJS.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

I’m not sure what the Cardinals FO see in Akeem Bostick.

Participant

Free

Brian, there is a discrepancy between your list and the list Rob Rains put out today. Your list includes Ellis but his list includes Thompson.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When I crossreferenced the uniform numbers, I caught that and already corrected it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

I just did a search for FA RPs, no one really popped out as a NRI minor league add (Bud Norris type). Is anyone out there that any of you would be interested in adding?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For background, I asked Mo at WWU if they were looking to sign a veteran reliever since the closer situation is unclear. I even cited the Norris example. He did not say “no”, but did say they feel good about the guys they have and don’t want to block them.

(I don’t want to stop speculation, but felt setting expectations would be helpful.)

Participant

Paid - Annual

With 72 players in camp long before the rest of the minor leaguers report and play games against other organizations minor league teams, what will the morning workouts look like, and what will the afternoon activities be for players not playing in a regular major league game?
    Will they have inter squad games on the back fields in addition to drills? Thanks for any help.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I asked Shildt in the context of how so many starters would get their work in. He said there would be sim games. Typically they have been at 10 a.m. on Field 1. However, there is no advance schedule. They decide as they go based on who needs work when.

I am not aware of other afternoon activity during games. I assume morning workouts will be on Fields 1 and 6 like in the past, with some work in the main stadium as well.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A minor league deal and invite for

Aaron Sanchez
    Taijuan Walker

Would be nice IMO.

Maybe they work out as starters still but maybe they could transition to relieving too.

Both have age and upside still.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks, Brian. I hope they have additional work in the afternoon on the back 2 fields behind Roger Dean. I can’t imagine them bringing
    all those invitees in early and giving those not involved in the major league game the whole afternoon off every day.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, things can always change, but every spring, there are players who are scheduled to pitch each day and ones who are not. There will be a few more this year, but some of those pitchers will throw in the morning. I’ll be surprised if camp structure changes. Shildt’s focus has been on more efficient workouts, not more time spent doing so (which previously included a lot of standing around and waiting).

At home in the past, everyone had to remain with the team until the fifth inning completed, at which time there was a mass exodus for the clubhouse (and then the golf course). Players who did not travel for road trips worked out in the morning and disappeared in the afternoon. (Fore!)

And anyway, who is going to go check Fields 1 and 6 while the game is going on?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Brian WaltonBrian Walton.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All good points. Do you know on average how many suit up for the major league game each day? Both for home and away games?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No. That is a level of detail that does not interest me enough to track.

Participant

Paid - Annual

In all the years I’ve gone to ST, I’ve never gone before the minor leaguers report. There will be approx. 72 players
    this season on Fields 1 and 6 in the morning when I’m down there March 5th-13th. Big crowd of players. What will a typical morning workout look like? Anyone know?
    Just curious.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

So is Ellis an invite or not?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC, did you view the articles? No, Ellis is not included.

bccran, my best advice is to check when you get to the park each morning in the Cardinals Main Lobby off University Boulevard to see if the day’s schedule is posted. Likely the players will be on the fields from roughly 9-11 or 11:30. As I said, however, some work is done in the main stadium, not yet open for fans. Also, the primary bullpen mounds, indoor hitting cages and turf field outside the cages are among the areas not accessible. Not all will be on Fields 1-6.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks, Brian. Maybe I’ll check and see if I can get into the stadium in the morning on several days.

Would really like to see guys like Carlson, Gorman, Dean, Herrera, Montero, etc. take batting practice and involved in some defense drills. And to see some up close throwing by pitchers like Reyes, Liberatore, Thompson, Oviedo, Rondon, etc.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In today’s world of monetizing almost everything, Roger Dean is among spring training venues that charge extra to get in the park to see pregame batting practice, an hour earlier than general admission. By general admission time, the players are typically in for lunch.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This would be earlier in the AM to see any workouts in the stadium that aren’t open to the premium playing fan. If there are such workouts at that time.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I’ve never been to ST and am curious how the experience varies from the early days to the latter portion? I’m thinking of going for about a week and looking at the latter part, March 15-20 maybe, but am flexible to go earlier.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If you want MLB only, then it doesn’t matter that much. Other than the later you go, the more some of the regulars may play. If you are going to see both majors and minors action, then later is better.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years