2020 Spring Training

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Spring Training

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Euro –
    If she likes beaches and hotels, we normally stay on Singer Island, which is about a 25 minute drive from the Stadium.
    Several good hotels, right on the beach. We stayed at the Hilton there last Spring Training.

Participant

Free

Mud, are you a travel agent in your spare time? I checked out the link, and that looks like a great spot!

Euro, I also hope to make it down there one of these years, but due to lack of Cardinal baseball interest from the wifey, it makes it harder sale. Please let us know if you’re able to talk your wife into it, if not, I’m going to have to hold out hope for a bachelor party down there or something like that!

Participant

Free

first game is gonna be this weekend. gonna be nice to see some baseball again. sometimes these games get bumped off for some other thing. hopefully that doesn’t happen.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Please let us know if you’re able to talk your wife into it

I’m pretty sure it’s happening this year, CFICT. I retired a few months ago and the wife has requested time off for 3rd week in March, so no reason not to. Just have to work on logistics now. My wife is good about doing sporting events with me if I mix in a couple things she likes. She loves beaches and we love seafood restaurants, so it has a good chance to be a nice trip.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It’s also time to get your MLB.TV subscriptions squared away.

I’ve had an issue over previous years for spring training games that I guess I’ll just have to live with. I get MLB.TV as part of my Extra Innings package via Verizon Fios. When you get MLB.TV via Extra Innings, you must verify your credentials through your service provider account prior to getting access to MLB.TV. Verizon doesn’t get around to settling customer accounts for Extra Innings until close to the start of regular season. I suppose that makes sense because Extra Innings is just for regular season games. However, that means I don’t get most of the spring training games on MLB.TV. Does this ring true for anybody else?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Way back, I subscribed to MLB Extra Innings, but dumped it for MLB.TV, which shows more games, offers better device access and costs $50 less per year. And yes, MLB.TV shows all televised spring games, of which this spring’s Cardinals total is 24 of 31.

Participant

Free

Euro, congrats on the retirement! Enjoy the trip!

Participant

Free

Does this ring true for anybody else?

Every single year! I am so glad you reminded me of this. I will save the headache of trying to get my MLB.tv access during Spring and just wait for the real games to start.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Brian, if I was going with just one or the other, I’d also pick MLB.TV because of the flexibility. But since MLB.TV is included with Extra Innings, you’re getting MLB.TV at a fraction of its regular price. That part makes it a good value for me with the ultimate flexibility to watch/DVR different games on TV and watch games on the phone when I’m out of the house. The only downside is the issue I mentioned on spring training games.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If you have a Roku or other streaming device, you don’t need both. Many newer TVs have this support built in. I have used MLB.tv only to view games on my TV and mobile devices for years, live and later on. MLB.tv has more capability and costs less. Paying full price for EI and even a reduced price for MLB.tv is most expensive of all.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For the $50 to $60 annual savings of MLB.tv over EI, you could easily buy a Roku or other and still be ahead.

I don’t know about 2020, but it used to be that EI did not include all games. MLB.tv does.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve only ever went with MLB.tv. I’m out of the house so often during games that I’m usually listening on the app or watching during breaks on a hike or whatnot. I’m looking forward to seeing some baseball starting this weekend.

Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB.TV has never been useful for me because of their silly blackouts. I enjoy baseball but I am not going to pay for that subscription if I can’t see Cardinal games. Fortunately my local cable provider still carries FSM.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I don’t know about 2020, but it used to be that EI did not include all games. MLB.tv does.

This part varies by provider, and even varies by some providers from one market to another. It depends on how many channels they allocate to their EI package. I have always received all games. You usually just get the home feeds though. Also, just a couple years ago, there might be a few games not on Hi Def if more than 10 or so games were being played simultaneously, so you might have to settle for standard def. At those times, I’d just stream MLB.tv to get HD. The last couple years, my provider eliminated this problem by allocating more HD channels.

I’m probably a very idiosyncratic MLB viewer, but I much prefer the Fios TV interface if I’m watching in my family room, which is where I take in 90% of the games. I like to often use the DVR to replay part of the game, slo-mo, etc. I also watch many games other than Cards game and switching back forth, especially like late last season. The switching back and forth and rewinding various games to see different plays from minute to minute works much cleaner and efficiently on-the-fly with the Fios TV interface. It’d probably be annoying as hell for most to watch late season games with me during a close pennant race, lol.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Paid – Annual
    MLB.TV has never been useful for me because of their silly blackouts. I enjoy baseball but I am not going to pay for that subscription if I can’t see Cardinal games. Fortunately my local cable provider still carries FSM.

I agree. Thankfully, only the Pirates and Indians are blacked out for me here.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Lucky you 😉

Participant

Free

Yea I would gladly get mlb.tv if they didn’t blackout the cardinal home games. You would think with streaming going the way it is, that they would be trying to jump on the band wagon. if I could stream all the cardinal live games, I would probably ditch cable. baseball is really the main thing I keep it for.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar said:

This is a misconception – at least how you said it. The same blackouts apply to MLB.TV and MLB EI as your local cable provider. In fact they apply to all carriers. These territory blackouts are a really bad thing for consumers. Going back to the Bud Selig days, he said he would get it fixed but $omething $eemed to have gotten in the way…

However, I realize that I was also unclear earlier. A person would only want MLB.TV or MLB EI if he/she wants to watch OUT OF MARKET games.

Yes, if you live in the Cardinals territory, you specifically have to have a package that includes FOX Sports Midwest. However, FOX Midwest is included with most streaming services such as YouTube Live TV and Hulu + (but not Sling) – if you live in-market. So you are not bound to your overpriced cable – unless you want to be.

I wrote about my personal cord-cutting here. I felt very empowered (not to mention $100 less poor each month) starting the day I plopped my cable/DVR box on the Spectrum counter and said goodbye to cable.

My Roadmap to Cutting the Spectrum Cord

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On second thought, since this thread is really about spring training, I will start a new separate thread on how to watch games this season so folks not interested don’t have to read about this channel stuff.

Participant

Free

That is probably a good call brian. Maybe you could make a thread about analytics and sabermetrics so everyone could post all their fancy stats there.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Every single year! I am so glad you reminded me of this. I will save the headache of trying to get my MLB.tv access during Spring and just wait for the real games to start.

Heads up for you, ATSOTC, regarding MLB.tv via Extra Innings. My MLB phone app notified me of O’Neill’s HR today. What the heck, that prompted me to try streaming MLB.tv to my TV. And, it worked! Plus, I haven’t even received a bill yet for Extra Innings. Verizon automatically renews EI subscriptions each year unless you opt out. Perhaps they have provided subscriber credentials to MLB.tv earlier this year. Whatever, I’m happy it’s different this year. You might give it shot.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Worst beard = Carpenter

Participant

Free

Yes that beard on my home boy Carpenter is annually awful.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 161 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years