2020 Spring Training

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Spring Training

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

During Winter Warm Up, Mozeliak stated 13 pitchers will train on a starters program in ST. It will be interesting to see how enough work can be spread out with that many pitchers. I suppose the veterans excluding CMart could throw on the side for the first few days while the youngsters take center stage. I would think they’d want to see Carlos’ progress from surgery early on. Maybe 3-4 pitchers can see action early also. Minor league games could used for any pitchers on the bubble. It will be very interesting no matter what.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I had the same thought. I figured they would have to have a few more backfield game to get a good look at everyone.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It would be interesting to break starters down into high ceiling guys and Steady Eddies.

High ceiling guys might include
    Flaherty, Hudson, Martinez, Reyes,
    Cabrera, Helsley, Thompson, Liberatore, etc.

Steady Eddies might include Waino, Mikolas, Gant, Ponce, Gomber, Woodford, Rondon, Oviedo, etc.

Does that make sense?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes. I asked Shildt that very question last weekend. He said there would be more simulated games on the back fields for the 13 starters to get in their work and be evaluated. Details in the Sunday WWU article posted on the home page.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think your grouping makes sense. If Huddy can figure out how to settle down before he gets started rather than in the second inning, he could join the steady Eddies.

Participant

Paid - Annual

bccran, I like your groupings. I think there is a chance that Oviedo and Rondon move into the high end group. Those two could be real sleepers.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am also am excited about our bullpen options. We have a number of good young arms. Whoever loses the starting competition should help the bullpen. Maybe not a good comparison, but the Royals have a solid closer, and maybe 2-3 good relievers. Our weak link might be Gant or Webb, and even then they had a lot of good moments in 2019. Year to year a bullpen’s performance can change, but I see many options, not including pitchers like Whitley and Elledge, among others that could pitch in the Lou inn 2020. My sleeper is Derian Gonzalez, who almost made team a few years ago. I figure if the Cards resigned him, they must see something.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Does Whitley have a chance to make the bullpen? Seems all he does is get people out.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does Whitley have a chance to make the bullpen? Seems all he does is get people out.

Unless there are a lot of injuries or Whitley is basically unhittable in spring training, I would think that Whitley will be in Memphis and possibly riding the shuttle for at least 2020 or even 2021.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Whitley has to earn a 40-man spot first. There are already 18 pitchers (plus Hicks) on the 40-man competing for just 13 jobs.

Whitley will make his MLB debut at some point in 2020 if he keeps on his current trajectory, but pretty unlikely it will be as soon as March.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t be shocked if Alexander “The Great” sneaks into Cranny’s “Steady Eddie” bracket. As a quick, but pertinent aside, the first baseball “Eddie” that popped to mind was Eddie Brinkman of Detroit. One would think it would have been Braves great, Eddie Matthews.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Pugs, it’s no wonder you thought of Brinkman over the likes of Mathews, Murray and Stanky! Who will ever forget Brinkman’s 2-month stint as a Redbird where he collected a HR and 6 RBIs? His HR added insult to injury in a laugher over the Giants. Couldn’t hit a lick, but he was a good glove guy.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Funny stuff, Euro! Right after I posted that, I too checked Brinkman’s stats out and was shocked to see that he had a cup of coffee with us and actually uncorked a long one in a Redbird uni. I would love to see the video of Eddie’s long Cardinal bomb. Is it possible to get that from ’75?

Very much looking forward to the start of the ’20 campaign and game threading it with all of you yahoos, EuroDandy. Luckily, my Milwaukee Bucks have been making this winter bearable. Go Cardinals, Go Bucks, and Go Eddie Brinkman!…….my Packers? Not speaking to them after their absolutely LAME performance in Frisco.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It’d funny but since the subject was pitchers, the first “Eddie” that came to my mind was “Gettysburg” Eddie Plank.

By the way, not sure if it is still there, but there used to be a great little restaurant/bar in Gettysburg called “Gettysburg Eddie’s”. When I played vintage baseball we played in a big festival there, and Gettysburg Eddie’s was one of the main sponsors of the event.

Participant

Paid - Annual

it looks like Gettysburg Eddies is still alive and kicking. Wonder how far it is from Gettysburg to our minor league team the State College?

Participant

Paid - Annual

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60798-d1483293-Reviews-Gettysburg_Eddie_s-Gettysburg_Pennsylvania.html

If you have breakfast in Gettysburgh you can probably make it to State College for the first pitch of a night game.

Participant

Free

bccran where does the new korean guy kim fall in your steady chart?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Right in between the 2 groups, simba. But probably tilted more toward the Mikolas type than the Flaherty/Liberatore type.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Does anyone have the list of minor leaguers who will be in the major league camp at ST before the minor league official reporting date? If it’s available, I’ve missed it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

bc, i think that the “ST invitees” list hasn’t come out yet. Brian usually keeps up with that and will have a piece on it when available.

Participant

Paid - Annual

We know Gorman and Liberatore confirmed they are invited.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From WWU, I reported the total will be between 28-30 non-roster invitees, which is up 5-6 from prior years when there had been a STEP Camp to draw extra players from. The names of the NRIs have not been announced yet.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Did we get any news on Gingery? Supposedly he had a second Tommy John surgery last fall. I guess we may have to wait until the minor leaguers report to camp.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Rob Rains replied to me today that the NRI list is expected to come out on Friday

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I can’t speak for others, but I have no reason to question the validity of the Fangraphs report on Gingery. The only open question for me is his targeted return date. I can’t imagine it would be before the second half.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 161 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years