2020 NL Wild Card Game 2 – Thu, Oct. 1 at Padres

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 NL Wild Card Game 2 – Thu, Oct. 1 at Padres

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 256 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Time TBA
    RHP Adam Wainwright (5-3, 3.15) vs. Zach Davies (7-4, 2.73)
    ESPN/ESPN Radio

Update: This game will start at 4 p.m. Central time on Thursday unless Yankees-Cleveland series is done, then it will begin at 6 p.m.

Update #2: Because the NYY-CLE series is over, this game will start at 6 p.m. on ESPN.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Think I got my Cardinals/Padres team, but admit I had to cheat and look up a guy for second base. Just could not come up with a guy on my own. The rest of these are “no research” guys though.

C- Terry Kennedy
    1b- Jack Clark
    2b- Dave “Soupy” Campbell (the one I had to look up) 24 PAs as a Cardinal in 1973, and no hits!)
    SS- Ozzie Smith (or Garry Templeton)
    3b- Ed Spiezio
    lf- Tommy Pham
    cf- Ray Lankford
    rf- “Silent” George Hendrick
    P- Andy Benes
    P- Eric “Don’t call me Harry” Rasmussen
    P- Bob Shirley
    P- Rick Wise

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by bicyclemikebicyclemike.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What about Woody Williams, BikeMike?

Participant

Free

Mike, you also forgot about Jedd Gyorko. That could be your 2B. Or Greg Garcia.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Avatarforsch31.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was incorrectly thinking that Lynn McGlothen may have pitched in SD. During my search, I learned that he died in a fire way back in 1984. RIP big guy…..RIP.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would imagine that tomorrow’s lineup will include Matt Carpenter, who has a lifetime 1.567 OPS against Davies. But you may also want to try to get Miller’s bat in the lineup after a few days off. Bader picked a really bad time for an off day. My suspicion is that Carlson slides to CF, Edman in LF and Carp at 3B with Miller at DH. If it’s close late maybe you bring Edman in to 3rd, take your pick at DH and have O’Neill-Bader-Carlson in the OF. If Miller doesn’t play, I think you’ll see O’Neill get the start in LF.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What about Jimmy Ballgame and Ryan Ludwick? And who can forget (even if you prefer to) Khalil Greene and Luke Gregerson?

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Rosenthal and Webb as relievers

Participant

Paid - Annual

Game will start at 6, as Yankees series is over.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not sure if anyone looked it up, but the most triple plays hit into is Brooks Robinson with 4, which seems like a lot. So Yadi still has a ways to go.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadi won’t catch Brooks, Cardinals27. But I tell you who I think has a decent shot at. That rookie with SD…..Jake Cronenworth. The way that kid navigates the bases, he may end up hitting into a fistful of triple plays before he hangs them up. Brooks & Yadi…….just may be the best all-time defensive players at their respected positions.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really kinda liked the early start, but later isn’t too bad. Would let me get out for a walk prior to the game. Hopefully Waino can give the bullpen a little rest tonight. Those Padres were hitting the ball hard yesterday and the Cards went 4-15 with RISP. Davies and Waino might be the slowest throwing combo of starters we’ve seen in the playoffs in a while. Hopefully our guys don’t get “Hendricks’d” tonight.

Participant

Paid - Annual

With Waino and Jack coming up you would have to like our chances to win one of the next two although those Padre bats are dangerous. Let’s get it done today then fly to Texas to take on the mighty Dodgers.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Greater break on his pitches and higher quality pitches lead to better results…

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

STL batters, career vs Zach Davies:

Carpenter 12 for 25, 4 doubles, 3 HR, 5/5 BB/K
    .480 / .567 / 1.000 / 1.567

Wong 2 for 17, triple, HR, 1/3 BB/K
    .118 / .238 / .412 / .650

Goldschmidt 4 for 10 (singles), 3/0 BB/K
    .400 / .571 / .400 / .971

Molina 7 for 21, double, 0/2 BB/K
    .333 / .333 / .381 / .714

Fowler 4 for 23, HR, 0/6 BB/K
    .174 / .174 / .304 / .478

B Miller 0 for 2, BB
    ———–
    Davies last 5 GS vs STL date from june 2017 to August 2019. 0-3 W/L, 2 ND, 25 IP, 19 ER, 6.75 ERA

Participant

Free

I’m afraid tonight’s (this morning’s) 1:08 a.m start is just too much for me. I’ll have to read about the Cardinals clobbering of the Padres, and y’all’s excited commentary, when I get up in the morning. Perhaps I’ll become a temporary Marlins fan this evening and root for the downfall of the Cubs.
    Meantime, all I can offer on the din-din front is a good ol’ American beef stew – luscious chunks of beef cooked in a brown gravy with potatoes, onions carrots and celery, accompanied by a green salad and iced tea. Once again, Mrs. CIF gave me the evil eye when I mentioned dessert.
    Rah Cardinals!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

SD Lineup

T Grisham (L) CF
    F Tatis Jr. (R) SS
    M Machado (R) 3B
    E Hosmer (L) 1B
    T Pham (R) LF
    M Moreland (L) DH
    W Myers (R) RF
    A Nola (R) C
    J Cronenworth (L) 2B

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Does this look familiar?

1. Kolten Wong (L) 2B
    2. Tommy Edman (S) 3B
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Dylan Carlson (S) LF
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    7. Matt Carpenter (L) DH
    8. Dexter Fowler (S) RF
    9. Harrison Bader (R) CF

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Which way do you bet on a O/U of 1.5 on Bader striking out at least twice in this game?

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If they win, he can fan six times as far as I am concerned.

If Bader had sat, we could easily have seen the same outcome with O’Neill playing instead.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Now correct me if I am wrong here. I couldnt find this anywhere so thats why I am asking.

The next rounds will be played as follows:

Yankees/Tampa Bay in San Diego

Houston/WhiteSox or A’s in Dodger Stadium

Braves/Marlins or Cubs in Houston

Brewers/Dodgers and Cards/Padres in Arlington.

So…..where will the ALCS and NLCS be played? I know the World Series is going to be held in Arlington.

r/Esteemed Rat

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Davies basically sinks, cuts and changes with very little east-west movement. Even his curve is 12-6. I don’t expect Bader to HR, single, single, again vs Davies, but I expect his contact to be good.

Even Rosenthal was throwing sliders at him yesterday, so their pen has the playbook vs Harrison.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rats, the ALCS will be at Petco Park.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats, all the brackets (teams and locations) are on Page 2 of the Playoff Seedings thread.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Do you ever get so worked up for a game that you just have to grab a bat and take some swings? My wifey and daughter are well versed with this custom. I just finished taking about a good 50 hacks with a wiffle ball bat in my basement. I had my 26 year old daughter stand about 25 feet back and fire the wiffle ball in at a fairly fast clip. I got beaned 7 times, but did manage to rifle a line shot right back at her that nailed her in the left hip. She just told me that it left a fairly decent sized welt. And that’s the approach our Birds need to take today…..whack it right back where it came from…..take the pitcher’s head off. Let’s get offensive on offense today, gentlemen.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 256 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years