2020 NL Wild Card Game 2 – Thu, Oct. 1 at Padres

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 NL Wild Card Game 2 – Thu, Oct. 1 at Padres

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 256 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tommy needs to get on to give ahold a chance.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Tommy needs to get on to give Goldy a chance.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards down 9-8. Pen needs to hold the Padres here.

Participant

Free

Lots of folks turning on Bull I see.

Nice at bat Bader driving the run in from 3rd.

Nice job Wong with the sac fly.

9-8 Padres going to the bottom of the 8th.

Ain’t over ‘til it’s over.

Go Cards.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards score 2 in the 8th to set up a potentially interesting 9th against Rosenthal.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy homers to left … 11-9 Padres. That last homer by Myers looms large.

Participant

Free

Gonna have to wonder why schildt made a change to Whitley with two outs. Could’ve happened to Webb too though. Too bad that goldy bomb would’ve tied it without Myers shot

Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlson walks, Tying run to the plate. Come on Redbirds!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Where is this game being played, Coors Field?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Rosenthal looks shaky. Let’s light him up.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Molina singles. Lead run to the plate. Paulie D up with runners on first and second, no one out.

Participant

Why no sac bunt?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp swings at ball four. That hurts. Fowler grounds out. Game over.

Bullpen couldn’t hold it together tonight. Hopefully Jack is strong tomorrow.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Wow, Carp. Totally lets Rosie off the hook and doesn’t take the free pass. And now game over.

See you tomorrow night. It’s a late one.

Participant

Free

Didn’t agree with the Whitley button push.

Tough loss.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Tough loss … Cards had the lead, bull pen could not hold it. The Padres have a potent offense. You just cannot afford to walk hitters in front of their power guys … that four run inning really hurt.

Having said this, this team is resilient and the Padres pitching staff has been taxed. It should be an interesting match up tomorrow.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When you score 9 runs, you have to win. Period. I thought Shildt did a horrible job managing the pen, and he was lucky that his panicky overquick hook didn’t cost them game 1 too as the Padres’ hard hits all went into the glove of Cardinal defenders. Last night they went over the fence. The offense did well enough but still left golden opportunities to score on the table. At least twice they had the leadoff man on 2nd and failed to get him in. I really don’t understand why you didn’t bunt at least one of those times. Yeah, Dejong is a power hitter, but you have to like your chances to get one base hit with one out over two base hits with none out. The amazing thing is that he will micromanage his bullpen but somehow never think to pinch hit. How weird.

This team’s season is on the line now. Flaherty has a shot to earn his ace status and set the team up to move on. He needs to be out there for 100 pitches today and not get shelled because shellshocked Shildt will panic if he gets a runner on 2nd in a 3 run game in the 4th.

Oh, and one more thing. Cabrera should not be anywhere near a tight game unless he’s the last pitcher left in be pen. The dude couldn’t throw the ball into the ocean from the shore last night. Of course when he finally did get the ball over the plate, he was immediately pulled for a guy who got crushed back to back.

Participant

Free

I will put this loss 100% on Shildt, what an absolute horrible job managing the pen. Talk about throwing darts at a wall hoping to hit something. His cluelessness on how to manager a team was in full affect last night and it could very well end up costing the Cards their season…

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Molina has to come to the mound and give a pitcher a scolding during a postseason game, I don’t want ya. You don’t fit, be gone, sooner the better.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t appreciate how Cabrera walked off the mound. He seemed to be disrespecting Shildt. If he had done that to LaRussa he would have been on the next flight back to STL.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I imagine that Cabrera was mad at himself, but the “optics” were not good. Some immaturity on the part of the 23-year old perhaps – but hey, at least he didn’t throw the ball over the outfield wall like Trevor Bauer did last season! 😉

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What we do know is relievers in game 2 were giving up home runs like they were Halloween candy, and they didn’t get a Molina scolding. Nor did Gomber when entering and unable to initially find the strike zone.

We will probably never know Molinas’ context of the Cabrera mound visit, and if a response is offered publicly I’d expect it to be watered down. That punch in the chest appeared to be intended as a wake up call.

This reminded me of the multiple Carlos Martinez mound visits where Yadi has had to refocus Carlos and reminded him to compete. I don’t want to go near another six seasons of that.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For me, the question is whether this is or will become a pattern. A challenge could be like Martinez that his stuff is so exciting they might be slow to react. Having said that, I wouldn’t trade anyone based on one game. Remember that Cabrera had earned the spot of responsibility that he was in last night. It wasn’t given to him without merit. Same as with Gallegos that someone else had raised.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have nothing more to add. For me, Yadi told me what I need to know.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 256 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years