2020 NL Wild Card Game 2 – Thu, Oct. 1 at Padres

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 NL Wild Card Game 2 – Thu, Oct. 1 at Padres

Viewing 6 posts - 251 through 256 (of 256 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The two walks were really bad, but I have to wonder if this would have gotten the same focus had Gallegos not served up the three-run homer.

A young pitcher with exceptional talent wasn’t throwing strikes in a crucial situation. The veteran catcher determined the way to motivate him was to chew him out. Might have been a different approach with a different teammate.

For you, this is apparently a tradeable offense. I would be more patient – and I bet Yadi would be too, if we could ask him and he would be honest about it.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

That was a painful game. Those walks with a four run lead killed me, so to speak.

I’m hoping for good things from our non-Brewers Ace.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree BW. For me, a lack of competing has always been a sticking point. Once we pass high school athletics, we almost always become select players who receive some form of compensation. So not only is there that responsibility, there’s also the commitment to our teammates and coaches who expect us to give our best. I know I’m an extreme outlier in my expectations of teammates, always have been, even when I was one.

The good news is, I’m Mr. One in Three Million to the Cardinals brass, so my opinion is nothing more than just another hick pounding on a keyboard. 🙂

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Your commitment level may be quite similar to Molina’s. Where you may differ is making a quick decision about a person and assuming he cannot grow and mature. If Cabrera is traded this winter, it might validate your POV.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While I didn’t like the way Cabrera reacted last night, I also understand the frustration that two straight poor outings can bring. I typed my above post on him originally with the comment that he should have been sent back to St Louis. While it would make a point, I’m not sure it helps the team in this series and probably not the next either, if they make it.

I also don’t give Shildt a pass for the way he handled those guys. How many times in the regular season did he yank guys after 3 batters or manage the way he did last night? I get that the playoffs are different, but this is the Wild Card round. The Cards pride themselves on competing for championships. How is it competing when you play the revolving door at the first sign of adversity, especially with the young guys? I’ll say that I think Cabrera couldn’t have done worse than Gallegos did when he came in. I also think he pulled Gomber and Helsley too fast. Maybe he was trying to save them for today but both guys looked to have more left in the tank. Whitley in a one run game was another mistake. The guy’s barely pitched this year and he’s in for a one run game? Reminded me of the crucial grand slam that Junior Fernandez gave up last year to Milwaukee.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In Helsley’s case, Shildt said after the game that he had him up twice in Game 1 without using him. He also said he likes to have Cabrera start innings clean. Not defending him. Just reporting what I recall him saying.

Viewing 6 posts - 251 through 256 (of 256 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.