2020 Championship Series

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Championship Series

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Rays are in trouble. Astros taking it to them as they’re going to force a game 7 after being down 3-0.

Participant

Paid - Annual

BTW, mspaid, my comment about the Dodgers was something of a joke, although I doubt that anybody thought my very cynical comment was truly funny. To me, teams like the Dodgers, Yankees, and previously, the Red Sox, are vulgar and possessed by greed, as demonstrated by the way they throw their considerable wealth around. I’d like to see them do something to earn respect rather than behave the way they do. Just my opinion.

Glad to see you posting again.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Whew! I guess we need a blue font for sarcasm. Maybe try italics next time! 😉

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A couple of extreme proposals that I’m not sure I’d be on board with either, but what about a true “home field” advantage with all 7 games played at the team with the better record’s park? Alternatively, the team with the better record could host the first 4 games and then switch to the team with the worse record, so there’s only one off day. It would still cut down on the ability to rig a series with two elite pitchers like has happened.

I’m also not opposed to neutral sites. They could alternate between east, west and midwest sites every third year so teams have the option to play close to home. It would also add to the special feel of winning the pennant for your league again as it’s the last true home game your team would have in most years. It wouldn’t always have to be a warm weather locale either. Late October isn’t that bad anywhere in the continental US with the exception of the mountains and very north Minnesota, Michigan, Maine, etc.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Giving one team all seven games in front of their own fans no matter who bats first feels like a non-starter to me. My ears are still ringing from the noise in the Metrodome in 1987. One travel day would be a compromise as you noted.

IMO, if you are going to have a neutral site, it needs to be a desired destination. When the NFL had the Super Bowl in Minnesota in the middle of the winter, I felt like they were defeating their own purpose just to appear equitable.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO, if you are going to have a neutral site, it needs to be a desired destination. When the NFL had the Super Bowl in Minnesota in the middle of the winter, I felt like they were defeating their own purpose just to appear equitable.

There are plenty of locations that are desirable enough given the right time of year. Like I said, October can be a very pleasant month in most parts of the US.

Participant

Paid - Annual

mudville wrote:

To me, teams like the Dodgers, Yankees, and previously, the Red Sox, are vulgar and possessed by greed, as demonstrated by the way they throw their considerable wealth around.

I know that is the convenient stereotype but you might want to do more research. The Dodgers are not built that way. They use primarily homegrown players and they Yankees have more than you would expect, along with some shrewd trades. Friedman and Cashman are regularly ranked as the two best executives in MLB and it isn’t all about writing checks.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am very much in favor of playing the playoff games on consecutive days. I wish all of the playoff series could be that way but I know that it is unlikely that the entire postseason would be at neutral sites. 2020 has been an exception. I think a neutral site for the world series is a good idea but what if they picked a site then the host team made it. Teams in LA, San Diego, Miami, Tampa, and Houston have shown this year they are very capable and the Rangers have done it before too.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Dodgers now have Buehler lined up for Game 6 so the NLCS is getting interesting again.

As for the ALCS I have a lot of respect for how the Rays run their team with their small payroll but I still think an Astros-Dodgers World Series would be good TV because of their utter contempt for each other.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What do folks think of this theory?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Dodgers win 3-1 to force Game 7 on Sunday.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW, defining “elite players” is going to vary depending on who you’re talking with.

I’d say look at the last 30 W.S MVP’s and determine who you think is elite. I never had Freese or Eckstein as elite.

And then back to the off days topic, how many of those MVP’s are still the MVP, without the off days format working in their favor.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

McCullers, 50 pitches after 2 IP and 3 runs

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Morton, 41 pitches after 4 IP, 0 runs

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Randy Arozarena another homerun.

Rays up 3-0 in the 5th in Game 7.

Participant

Free

This is probably how the Angels fans felt after the 2011 postseason.

But this time we got Liberatore rather than a past-his-prime Edmonds.

Participant

Free

Liberatore better be the second coming of Steve Carlton or this trade may go down as one of the worst not just in Cardinals history but in the history of baseball. Can’t believe the kept O’Neal over Randy A. SMH.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by AvatarTexasCard.
    Participant

Free

Texascard, Eduardo Perez said he talked with the Ray’s GM shortly after the trade. Their GM really wanted Arozarena. That’s why they gave up Liberatore.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

This is probably how the Angels fans felt after the 2011 postseason.

Okay, I’m probably having a “duh” moment, but somebody help me out with this one.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Rays really wanted Arozarena over Bader, O’Neill, and Thomas, what does that say about Arozarena? And when our offense was so weak why did we need another pitcher down stream when we’re so deep in LH pitching with Kim, Thompson, Cabrera, Gomber, etc.?

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Voit and Ricearoni are somewhat flash in the pans. Neither one will be great long term. They might be good, but certainly not great. As we have all seen, anybody can get hot for awhile. And thats what happened here with both of them.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Do you think Arozarena is a flash in the pan?

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Who is Ricearoni? If you’re talking about Arozarena, his name isn’t that difficult to spell.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years