2020 Championship Series

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Championship Series

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

bccran, are you saying that he was better than Carlson?

Participant

Paid - Annual

No, Forsch, but not far behind considering his OBP, his speed, and his extra base power.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Rays made their first inning scoring stand up, defeating the Astros, 4-2. Tampa Bay is up two games to none.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Huge home run by Austin Riley off Blake Treinen in the top of the ninth has the Braves up 2-1 in Game 1.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Today’s first game (5 pm) is Ian Anderson vs. Clayton Kershaw, followed by Ryan Yarbrough vs. Jose Urquidy tonight at 7:40. Braves are up 1-0 and Rays up 2-0.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not good news for the Dodgers… Gonsolin has not pitched in 17 days.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Tony who?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dodgers really working Andersons pitch count up, 66 pitches after 3 IP, but he Houdini’s his way out of the bases loaded third. 0-0

Participant

Paid - Annual

66 pitches after 3 IP.

Sounds like most of our starters, JJ.

Dodgers don’t win this one and they’re in a load of trouble.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar can chime in because he follows the Dodgers pretty closely, but he’s pointed out similarities between them and the Cardinals. Good young, home developed pitching, like Gonsolin, is one example. Just one mistake pitch separated the two starters.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dodgers down 6 runs pugs, getting late.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Dodgers were down 7-0 and 8-3 entering the 9th. The tying run now stands at 3rd.

AJ Pollock grounds out and the Braves win 8-7.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Game ….. Set ….. (and almost) “Match”, as to we all being treated to a Braves-Rays World Series. If the NBA thought their finals tv ratings were abysmal, wait until the figures come in on MLB’s Fall Classic. Reruns of Petticoat Junction may rate higher.

Participant

Free

Petticoat Junction, lol Pugs. “Here comes Uncle Joe, he’s a movin’ kinda slow at the junction,…….. Petticoat Junction.”

Good show. I’d give a slight edge to Green Acres, but definitely a good show. Come to think of it, was Petticoat Junction a spin-off of Green Acres?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe it was, Tinky. Agreed…..a definite edge to Green Acres. Every time Arnold the pig would saunter on over to change the channel on their tv, I’d be rolling on the floor. The show’s producers must have smeared peanut butter on the knobs to entice the little guy. When I lived in Phoenix back in the day, some people had pigs as house pets. I knew one guy from Tempe who had both a Bassett Hound and a pig for pets. He always said the two were inseparable. Pigs are reported to be extremely intelligent. This farmer here in Wisconsin once told me that he would put a bowling ball in his pig pens to occupy them. He said without it they would get bored and then become destructive.

Participant

Free

Arozarena with another hit. First rookie in the history of baseball to have four 3 hit games in the post-season. Has 4 post-season homers and was batting .447 prior to that last hit, probably batting close to .500 now. I said earlier in another thread that we had no choice but to trade him after he streamed Bull Shildt’s profanity laced pep-talk live on Facebook after we whooped the Braves in the playoffs last year. I take that back. I was obviously wrong.

Arnold the Pig was awesome, Pugs. So were Mr. Haney and Mr. Ziffle and Eb (sp?). I also always enjoyed Oliver climbing up that telephone pole just to make a phone call. And of course Zsa Zsa Gabor. Oh my, Zsa Zsa Gabor!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wednesday night’s action. The Astros can be eliminated with a loss.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Folks have to be careful here, as Green Acres was a separate spinoff from Petticoat Junction, which was a spinoff from the Beverly Hillbillies. I can still sing (badly) the BH and GA theme songs, but I had to look up Petticoat Junction to be reminded of the tune. (I guess it speaks for which of the three I watched more, which plays right into the point Pugs made.)

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

Linda Kaye’s (the red-headed daughter) real name was Linda Kaye Henning. She’s the daughter of “Petticoat Junction” creator Paul Henning.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I was a bit too young when this show first aired to know the double-entendre (sp) meaning when the title song’s verse goes “…lots of curves, you bet, even more when you get, to the junction….”

Great show. My college roommate and I used to each do our Uncle Joe (Edgar Buchanan) impersonations and would each claim our own was better (mine really was :-))

Green Acres was incredibly creative. The way they had that whole “twilight zone” setting where Oliver was living in what would be considered the “normal” world, and the citizens, including Lisa, would be in the “Hooterville” world of wacko and silliness.

Oh, and it was Eva Gabor who played Lisa, not Zsa Zsa, but they looked very much alike. I think Zsa Zsa lived to be close to 100.

Oh, and in addition to Linda Kaye Henning, Meredith McRae played Billie Joe in the later seasons. She was the daughter of Gordon McRae. She also played Mike’s girlfriend and eventual fiance on My Three Sons, before Tim Considine left the show.

Participant

Paid - Annual

One thing I like about these playoffs is that they are played each night with no off days. Of course this wouldn’t be possible without playing at a neutral site.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On the podcast today, Danny Mac threw out the idea of MLB making the neutral site World Series permanent. Money.

I like it for the same reason as you but dislike it more for taking it away from the home fans. Yes, the NFL does it, but they never did it any other way. The other major sports do not, but if we have learned one thing, it is that money is more important to MLB than its fans. So I had to accept the possibility.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Whitey Herzog suggested this way back, in his book that came out in the ’80s I believe. He said baseball should have a “World Series week”, similar to the Super Bowl with the games played at a neutral, warm weather site. I think we will see quite a few changes as a result of this season. For one, people have seen that having the DH in the National League did not cause the world to end. 7 inning double-headers just might make sense. And I would not be surprised to see a neutral site World Series.

You could still have it similar to bowl games, where tickets are sent to the participating team’s office for sale to folks who want to make a vacation out of it. It takes away some of the stigma of cold weather baseball, as the Series could stretch into November and not have a high risk of bad weather.

I do not like the thought of making the seasons any longer than they already are. I would go back to the 154 game regular season schedule, with a few old-fashioned 2-for-1 doubleheaders scheduled each year. But money will override any other consideration. If it increases revenue, MLB will be all over it.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Me too, no off days tests your entire roster. WSH won the World Series by throwing three SP’s (34.1 IP) more than the rest of their roster (28.2 IP) because the format allowed them too.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years