2020 Championship Series

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Championship Series

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Tinky
    Participant

Free

Brian, thanks for that Petticoat Junction video link. Watching that took me back to my youth. Nice trivia on Green Acres actually being a spin-off of Petticoat Junction rather than the other way around as I had surmised. It is rare that a spin-off turns out to be a better show than the show that spawned it, but I do believe Green Acres was the superior show.

Bicyclemike, thanks for pointing out that Oliver’s wife was Eva Gabor, not Zsa Zsa. My apologies to Eva. I’m sure she got tired of Zsa Zsa always getting more publicity.

Sam Drucker, lol. I had completely forgotten about Sam Drucker 🙂 Thanks again Brian.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Dodgers out-did us against the Braves. We hit them for ten (10) runs in the first inning of the 5th game last year. And now the Dodgers put up eleven (11) against them in the top of the first this year.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say the Dodgers win this game.

r/Esteemed Rat

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Daytons throwing motion looks like Bumgarner

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj said:

Me too, no off days tests your entire roster. WSH won the World Series by throwing three SP’s (34.1 IP) more than the rest of their roster (28.2 IP) because the format allowed them too.

Fair observation, but if my memory serves me correctly, the Cardinals benefitted from the rain/extra days in both 2006 and 2011.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In their last 6 innings of play, the Dodgers have outscored the Braves 22-3. Yet they still trail 2 games to 0 in the series…..though I think it’s pretty safe to call the series 2-1 now, even though they are just in the 4th frame. If LA blows a 15-1 lead, it would have to rank #1 in MLB comebacks. Maybe this question should best be handled by our good friend Skip and the gang over at the esteemed Elias Sports Bureau. And a big THANK YOU to UCONN, Brian, Tinky, and BicycleMike for that walk down memory lane with the Green Acres and Petticoat Junction nostalgia! They sure don’t make them like they used to.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Me too, no off days tests your entire roster. WSH won the World Series by throwing three SP’s (34.1 IP) more than the rest of their roster (28.2 IP) because the format allowed them too.

In 2001 Arizona won the world series with Randy Johnson and/or Curt Schilling pitching in five of the seven games. It was ridiculous.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the pinch-hit, pitching change strategy of the NL w/out a DH. I also like when the benches and middle relief pens have an outcome on a series.

With off days, where a top three pitchers can be used more heavily, it seems more AL like.

I can’t remember how rain and off days affected the STL series you mentioned, you’re probably right, but everything isn’t about just the Cardinals for me. A deep roster is an advantage over 162 games, I’d prefer the postseason format highlighted that too, more like a four game series does during the season.

Tinky
    Participant

Free

I can’t stand the Braves, but man Freddie Freeman can hit. He just doubled in Acuna. Kershaw is leaking oil. 2-1 Braves in the bottom of the 6th. As I’m typing Ozuna doubles in Freeman (Ozuna homered earlier); now Braves up 3-1.

Roberts gives Kershaw the hook. Nobody out. Dodgers are wobbly.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kershaw’s mediocre (at best) post season play will keep him out of Cooperstown.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seeing Snitker in the Braves dugout rekindles shades of Bobby Cox……and that rocking back-n-forth pitching coach sitting next to Bobby. I want to say his name was Leo Mazilli?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kershaw’s mediocre (at best) post season play will keep him out of Cooperstown.

I can’t see any way that Kershaw misses out on the HOF, but if he was borderline, his postseason results could be the difference.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No. Kershaw won the MVP award as a pitcher, has three Cy Young Awards, won the NL ERA title five times and has eight All-Star selections. In the post-season heading into tonight, he is 11-11, 4.23.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep, his post season blues will definitely cost him enshrinement. As well it should. The Hall is for the very best. And any candidate who couldn’t come through in playoff competition, should be disqualified. If we were talking about a superstar player with just one or two hum-drum post season performances, that can be overlooked. But someone with the post season sample space of Kershaw, that’s a huge factor towards possible enshrinement banishment.

bccran
    Participant

Marcel at it again tonight.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sorry, Pugs it ain’t not happening. Blaming this load of postseason baggage failure on Kershaw isn’t fair.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Dodgers are cheap. If they had gone out and signed Cole, they would have won the NCLS by now. They deserve what’s happening to them for letting the Yankees push them around during the 2019-2020 offseason. If they’re serious about winning, they need to open up their wallet, belly up to the bar, and spend some money on pitching.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Pugs, Leo Mazzone. You crossed him with Lee Mazzilli, who had a decent career in the 70s and 80s, mostly with the Mets. Leo’s rocking was eye catching.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

$220 MM-plus payroll is cheap?

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Mudville:

I can only assume that you’re joking.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Friday night action ahead. Braves and Rays could clinch. Dodgers and Astros trying to stay alive.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This Dodger group reminds me of the Braves teams from the 1990’s. They can win their division every year but can’t win the big one. The Braves team with Glavine, Maddux, and Smoltz won their division 14 out of 15 years from 1991-2005 but only won the world series once.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Losing a Kershaw-Wilson matchup is a gut punch for LA. I thought I could see it in their eyes as the last few innings unfolded.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sort of like the Cardinals losing a Flaherty vs. one reliever per inning matchup. And that was an elimination game. At least the Dodgers still have a chance to recover.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Perhaps this was taken out of context, but if not, wow…

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.