2020 Cardinals Game #40 – Sun, Sept. 13 vs. Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #40 – Sun, Sept. 13 vs. Reds

Viewing 23 posts - 76 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They are going to have no choice but to find a way to go with the pitch by committee idea. Fernandez would come back up, I’d guess?

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Here is another possible scenario. Replace Dean with a pitcher and go with 16 arms (17 for DH) and just 12 position players. What do folks think of this idea, recognizing that nine of the 12 position players have to play in every game?

I don’t hate the idea I’m just wondering what pitches you would want for the pitching staff. If Gant goes on the IL you probably replace him with Kim. Then that would leave Ponce to replace Dean. So the point being even with the added pitcher(s) the pitching staff is still weak considering half of the pitchers can’t really be trusted or even truly relied on, especially in critical moments.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Time to unleash our cannon…
    Yadi for closer!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Crismatt is in the game now. As noted above, the 40-man arms in Springfield are Roel Ramirez, Junior and Ponce (Monday’s G2 starter).

If Dean and Gant go on the IL tomorrow, they would add Kim and Ponce for sure. The one other (to make 29) could be Ramirez, Junior or a hitter. Makes taxi squad decisions interesting, too…

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Roel Ramirez is not good. He has no business being on the 43 man roster even with the injuries.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

17-1 when scoring 5 runs or more, twas a good run

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Based on his one game in the majors you made that assessment of Ramirez? Or did you see him in Springfield?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought they said on the pregame that Justin Williams was going on the taxi squad but that was before the bullpen imploded.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs beat the Brewers today on a no hitter by Alec Mills. I’m just hoping that the Cards don’t leave the Milwaukee series in 3rd place at this point. It’s entirely possible with the totally depleted pitching staff.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s curious how the Cards seem to have more pitching depth than most teams, but also more injuries.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For the record, the Cards lose 10-5 to return to .500 at 20-20. The Cubs won (on a no-hitter over Milwaukee by Alec Mills) so the division gap is now four games.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seems that Fernandez is the most likely to return, if needed. His control needs improved on, big time.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What Shildt said before was that Williams was a candidate for the taxi squad.

“It wouldn’t surprise if he is on the taxi squad before the end of the year,” is what I wrote down. He said that before Saturday’s game.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Based on his one game in the majors you made that assessment of Ramirez? Or did you see him in Springfield?

No Brian, it wasn’t just the one game. Like most people on this site I too follow the guys in the minors and Ramirez wasn’t ready at all for MLB hitters this year and it stems from his career MiLB numbers showing that, which includes his not so stellar performances at Springfield the last two seasons.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for clarifying, BHC. Like many of the others added this season, Ramirez could have used more time. But they are running out of alternatives. If they were to remove Ramirez from the roster right now, who would you add to replace him?

P.S. The Cardinals already prioritized Ramirez higher than Meisinger and Cruz, who were DFAed ahead of him. So they do see something they like.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ramirez (and Fernandez too) are warm bodies in a time when we are going to need a ton of innings. I don’t care if they give up 12 runs each…if the Cards are buried going to lose anyway, they may as well get the innings from there. Heck, Kaminsky might become the secondary setup lefty in the pen at this point.

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

Remind me again why we got rid of Lance Lynn.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On the baserunning play, Carp said that Pop was sending Molina the whole way, but stopped him late. Carp was trying to draw the throw to 3B so Molina could score and was already committed. Said “it was just one of those things.”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt said Gant is 1-3 days, but doesn’t know yet if it will be an IL stay.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lynn was a solid pitcher for the Cardinals but he never put up numbers here like he is with the Rangers. I don’t think you can blame the Cardinals for not giving him a big contract at the time.

One other thing I will say about Lynn, and I am honestly not trying to be judgmental, but he is seriously overweight. I know he is putting up great numbers but I would be concerned how sustainable that is long term because he just looks unhealthy to me. I know it worked for Bartolo Colon but I would think that is the exception to the rule.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

What a day,what a game. I woke up feeling terrible but figured laying in the recliner to watch the game would cure my ills………..and it actually did ……..until the 6th inning. Then it was like another team took the field and they weren’t Cardinals. They were guys who looked beat and knew they had a few innings to trudge through to get to the end. Gant’s problem with his junque area really hit hard on a bunch of guys who could feel his pain. It was a pain for me to watch it to the end and I don’t blame the players. Surely there must be a better day coming but I will leave it up to Shildt and his merry men to figure it all out cause it is way above my pay grade. We can only hope that Milwaukee is as hurting as we are. They did get thumped by the Cubs today so just maybe. I hope KK is sharp in game one and Ponce can keep the beat going. The rest of those bench arms better hope they don’t get used too much in the next few games.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Two weeks to go and things look bleak for our Cardinals. They could still get to the post season and the “anything can happen” time, but all those games in so few days does not give u a lot of hope that they will go on this winning streak we all have felt is coming any day.

Some thoughts on Jake Woodford. Man, watching that guy pitch is the proverbial “watching paint dry” cliche. He takes way too long to set up and throw. I would think he needs to get a more rhythmic delivery and push things more, but then maybe he loses command that way.

But the Reds brought in Iglesias and it was a whole different look. That guy gets the ball and is ready to throw – the old “rock ‘n fire” pitcher as we used to say growing up. I think there is a mind set you develop when you are ready to throw that communicates “I am going to dominate”. Same way on the other side, when you take all this time between pitches like Woodford, looking around the stadium, slowly coming to a set, waiting, waiting, then throwing, it looks like you are afraid to throw the ball.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
Viewing 23 posts - 76 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.