2020 Cardinals Game #32 – Sun, Sept. 6 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #32 – Sun, Sept. 6 at Cubs

Viewing 10 posts - 101 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“So, after tonight, 9 of Bader’s 12 hits have gone for extra bases. Shildt ought to be raging mad about that.”

——————————

I dunno how Shildt will react. But it’s his job to know this and to use it: Harry Bader has always been an entirely different hitter when permitted to start a ballgame. These career splits don’t even include this evening’s sweet 3-for-3 performance:

As starter (just under 900 PA’s)… .244 avg. and .750 OPS
    As sub (just over 100 PA’s)… .135 avg. and .432 OPS

I don’t know what’s happening in Shildt’s head this year, but he’s been making counterintuitive and counterproductive decisions all season. The Bader nonsense of the past two weeks was merely the most inexcusable — not unlike his benching Bader for a then-useless Fowler back in 2018. And inserting Gallegos to start the 9th inning tonight with a 4-run lead was (once again) truly bizarre and contradicts basic managerial competency.

Gio pitched yesterday. And he may be needed tomorrow in a much, much tighter situation than tonight’s zero-leverage appearance. Does today’s usage perhaps mean that Shildt is re-installing the remarkably inconsistent Andrew Miller as closer? Heaven help us if that’s the case.

But even if Miller is anointed closer again, that’s no excuse for using one of the team’s two best relievers on zero days rest with a big 9th-inning cushion. Especially not with a game tomorrow and two more on Tuesday. You start the 9th with a mop-up man, and if he gets into trouble you can bring in the top reliever. It’s what every manager does, all the time, over and over. Not that tricky.

Put your best players in the starting lineup.
    Use your best relievers in important situations.

The importance of these dictums is of course magnified in a shortened season, and Mike Shildt has done a shabby job of following those guidelines this year. If he had done better, the club would have two more wins. Maybe three wins, depending how hot Bader would have been during his “time out” or whatever it was.

And perhaps more importantly the players would know that (as much as is practicable) their team is being run like a meritocracy.

I apologize to anyone who finds my tone overly unpleasant. You should see my posts before I remove the exclamation points and profanity.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Well we know we took this series and, at a minimum, split the season series with the Cubs. So a win today will only be a plus for us and get us closer to the meat grinder we will see the rest of the week with two DHs.

Lots of convo the past few days regarding Bader and his supposed ills. Seems as if he put quiet to those for a bit with his performance in this game but man he needs a haircut of that mop. No Carp sighting in this game and we won so that means he will be either a starter or DH today.

To TCN, BW and the whole staff. Thanks for a great article on Lou Brock. He was the epitome of a Cardinal.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Reyes and Cabrera looked great to my untrained eye…. command wasn’t terrible and the stuff was filthy.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    14NyquisT
    Participant

I actually felt a little bad for Bryant in his first two ABs… called out looking both times on pitches out of the zone. He walked back to the dugout with a smile.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you guys were watching the ESPN broadcast last night you probably noticed their nonsense with doing live interviews during game cation. When did this become a thing? Shildt basically told them to go blow because he was too busy. Then they were actually talking to DeJong as the pitch was being delivered. I don’t know if it had anything to do with his messing up the play at first when he couldn’t get the ball out of his glove but good grief what is going on? They used to do interviews with each manager in between innings, which is reasonable, but during live action??? Come on.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

https://twitter.com/markasaxon/status/1302769849362415616

Mark Saxon
    @markasaxon
    Imagine how hard it must be to play shortstop in a major league game while doing a live national TV interview.
    7:45 PM · Sep 6, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

If you guys were watching the ESPN . . .

I wasn’t, but not surprising ESPN would take a player’s focus away from the action on the field. Glad Shildt told them to buzz off.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Team win here today. Bader looked great. Cabrera and Reyes blew Cub hitters away and provided a valuable bridge to victory. And Goldschmidts home run hit the moon I think.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The way it happened with Shildt was that he started the interview, but Bader immediately doubled, which is when he stepped out.

I asked Shildt in the post-game if he knew he set a new record – for the shortest ESPN in-game interview. He explained why he left and said he meant no disrespect to ESPN. He also noted the interviews used to be between innings. He was also asked about DeJong and said that the game is changing and he doesn’t have any say about it.

Viewing 10 posts - 101 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.