2020 Cardinals Game #29 – Fri, Sept. 4 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #29 – Fri, Sept. 4 at Cubs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Following Thursday, Sept. 3 Open Date in Chicago

7:15 p.m.
    RHP Jack Flaherty (2-0, 1.93) vs. RHP Yu Darvish (6-1, 1.47)
    FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cubs lost 6-2 to the Pirates on Thursday, which puts their lead over the Cards at 3 1/2 games. St. Louis would have to sweep the five-game series to take the division lead. I won’t do the math on the other extreme. 😉

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Big series here. This one is ace vs ace. I saw an ESPN article a few days ago where they were predicting the awards races. Darvish got some votes, as did Degrom and the other usual suspects. Mr Flaherty got nary a mention, nor did any of our other beloved Birds. Sonny Gray got a pick, just before his game with us. It would be great to knock another Cy Young candidate off his perch.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes Darvish is a legit Cy Young candidate this year which is quite the turnaround for him. He is finally justifying that big contract the Cubs gave him.

Since coming back into action Flaherty’s pitch count has been 40, 60, and 80. He should be fully stretched out now to go as long as needed. I could see Jack and Darvish both going at least 7 innings in a duel. This game could come down to a big late hit and whose bullpen can nail it down.

Tinky
    Participant

Free

There’s been a whole lot of sabermetric pontificating going on around here. Time to play some ball. Cards/Cubs, Flaherty v Darvish, Friday night, Holiday weekend. Let’s go!

I’m so pumped I’m going to fire up the PK tonight (anybody here know what a PK is?). Onto said PK I am going to throw two skinless salmon filets, marinated in mirin, soy sauce and olive oil. Gonna put that on top of a steaming pile of Near East rice pilaf, with almonds. Sautée a little spinach as well. Wash it all down with a Pinot Noir. Wonder what Pugs is having tonight?

Go Cards.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wow Tinky, that sounds good, and is healthy. Unlike Rat who would be cooking up a couple of hot dogs, with a side of fries, two Mountain Dews to drink and a big bowl of ice cream to desert – then top it off with a cigar.

Anyway, saw the lineup come through on my phone. Don’t like it. Shildt has Carpenter at third, Edman in right, and Carlson in center. I would improve the defense and put Edman at third, Bader in center, and Carlson in right. Carpenter and his below-Mendoza line average and high strikeout total can sit (though DC is worse). Wish we had Dex – how long is he out, anyone know?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

STL Lineup

K Wong (L) 2B
    T Edman (S) RF
    P Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    B Miller (L) DH
    P DeJong (R) SS
    Y Molina (R) C
    M Carpenter (L) 3B
    T O’Neill (R) LF
    D Carlson (S) CF

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wish we had Dex – how long is he out, anyone know?

The word the other day was a couple of weeks or more.

bccran
    Participant

No Bader tonight?

1982 willie
    Participant

i read an article about carpenters struggles and them trying to get him to do something different to have better outcomes. A lot of nonsense with fancy stats that dont really mean anything but basically what i got out of it is carpenter is going to play no matter how horrible he is. Sounds about right for how this team is managed.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Whats the over/under on O’Neill striking out at least twice tonight?

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~~who had a ribeye steak, two ears of corn, green beans, a couple of Pepsi’s, and a piece of banana cream pie for lunch.

Tinky
    Participant

Free

mike, thanks I try to eat healthy every now and then, but I can eat a couple of dogs, some fries, and wash it all down with a Budweiser with the best of them. What I wouldn’t give to be sitting at Busch this evening in a normal world wolfing down a couple of brats and ordering a big tall bud draft.

And I agree with your lineup totally. I love Carp, but he’s been on the downhill side of things for a few years now. * But he can still draw a walk with the best of them:)

Go Cards.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Last year it seemed Carpenter had the Bader-syndrome, which is he would swing at bad pitches and take the good ones. This year he just seems bad, as he looks to be a bit more aggressive but misses a lot of good pitches.

Think maybe he needs to get rid of that “Brian Wilson (the pitcher not the Beach Boy) beard”.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I am similar to you Tink, in that my wife and I eat healthy most of the time. But then we will hit a brew pub and have a burger, fries and a craft beer a couple of times a month or more.

Tinky
    Participant

Free

Rat if I were setting the over/under on O’Neill’s strikeout total tonight (and every night frankly), I’d put it at 1.5. And I would take the over.

Nice lunch by the way.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of the over/under, I’d put it at 187/106 for Rat’s blood pressure. Food fit for a king indeed for Tinky and Rat today. My din-din tonight? Take out from Gloria’s Mexican food in beautiful Sun Prairie, Wisconsin. Steak fajitas, beans, rice, fresh deep red tomatoes, water, topped off with a couple shots of my good friend, Wild Turkey.

I look for a (in my best Ed Sullivan voice) “really really big series” from Tommy Edman. We need 4-5 this series, but would settle for 3-5. You know Wrigley Field is a beautiful ballpark….without their fans in it. Put their fans in those seats and it ranks like 30th in all of baseball as far as looks go.

Tinky
    Participant

Free

Erica Weston and Ankiel doing work tonight. They just flashed the following stat:

Jack Flaherty is one of only 6 pitchers since 1968 to go at least 20 consecutive starts with an ERA of 1.08 or less.

That’s some quality research right there.

Go Cards.

Tinky
    Participant

Free

I hate the shift.

Supreme_Leader
    Participant

Free

“carpenter is going to play no matter how horrible he is”. Ended the last 5 playoff seasons losing 16 straight games with this Carp guy right in the middle of all of it. How many chances do you give a core player? Note: Trout given 1-2 playoff games….

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 1. “Whirling” Darvish twirling the ball for Chicago tonight.

Wong- Strikes out swinging

Edman- Whiffs gazing at one right on down Broadway….how do you not swing at that ball? I don’t care if your looking dead red fastball on that pitch and you get a soft knuckler…..you have to swing at that pitch with two strikes on you.

Goldy- Drills one right back where it originated from….in the good old days that’s a base hit to center, but in this, the era of the shift, it’s a routine grounder that the 2nd baseman Kipnis scoops up and he flings it on over to Rizzo at 1st the retire the Birds in order here in the 1st.

Cards 0
    cubs 0

Supreme_Leader
    Participant

Free

“ This year he just seems bad,”. Any silver lining, his best play seems to be at CHC.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bryant doubles into the corner and the Cubs are in business. Mr Stands on the Plate is up.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do not like the way things are going

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any relation to Stands With Fist, Stlcard25?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I bet MM3 is thrilled with this announcing crew tonight. I admit that I prefer Jimmy Edmonds.

Jack is having to work here in the first.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.